They've done it! Wug2-83A can swap between conical and flat burrs - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
josh_depactum

#41: Post by josh_depactum »

I'm eagerly waiting for early reviews also. Wanted to dip my toe in flat burrs, really interested in the lab sweet burr (seems like the best all rounder for me), didn't find the look of the Ditting's appealing. It seems like all good looking grinders are always conicals, and now finally we have grinder that looks like a conical, but houses a flat. I hope Dan doesn't update the design too soon(though it's a good thing), or I might regret for buying it too soon!
But the current look is about 7.5/10 for me, the Kopi Deva being about 9.

There's a company in China (the one that produced the Omnicup/Explorer anti-clockwise grinder), set to release (was told to be in May) a 71mm conical grinder and 80mm flat grinder, which look super sleek. The price of those two added up, is about the same as the Wug2-83A with Mazzer conical+flat.
Their hand grinder was reasonably good, and creative, but priced almost the same as a C40, they do offer a knockoff version of the C40 that literally costs a fraction of the C40, which was received quite well. So value wise, they might be able to deliver something impressive like the knockoff version, but there's also a chance it can be deemed overpriced, like the more premium grinder they released.

But Wug seems to be in the grinder market for a longer time, so I'd go with Dan, until we have more data from other competitors.

TigerStripes

#42: Post by TigerStripes »

I watched their youtube demo video. It takes nearly a minute to grind 15g with the flat burrs.

My ditting rips through 18g in 3 seconds. I don't think I could wait over 1 minute for grinds in the morning.
LMWDP #715

Advertisement
BruceWayne

#43: Post by BruceWayne »

A lot of the single dosing flat burr grinders are slow. This one is about average.

malling

#44: Post by malling »

TigerStripes wrote:I watched their youtube demo video. It takes nearly a minute to grind 15g with the flat burrs.

My ditting rips through 18g in 3 seconds. I don't think I could wait over 1 minute for grinds in the morning.
Now I don't know what you have, but the majority of Ditting is bulk grinders, even the Lab Sweet is fundamentally that, it just got some slight modifications to work better for spro. So it's perhaps not totally fair comparison, as bulk are the fastest and most powerful grinders out there and are designed to handle kg of grinds at a time and where it should not take many sec to grind one kg.

These are made for home and for that the slower speed is typically to be preferred and 1min isn't unheard off.

josh_depactum

#45: Post by josh_depactum »

I think he might be referring to the 25min long video, which the burr speed was set to lowest I think, which is 400, and with beans loaded got reduced to 300+. According to the website, you can actually make it go up to 700rpm, which at that speed, I think would be adequately quick for most people.

foam2

#46: Post by foam2 »

I have an HG1 with a WUG2 motor kit and by way of comparison related to grinding speed, at 80 rpm, 21 grams took 32 seconds.

TigerStripes

#47: Post by TigerStripes »

josh_depactum wrote:I think he might be referring to the 25min long video, which the burr speed was set to lowest I think, which is 400, and with beans loaded got reduced to 300+. According to the website, you can actually make it go up to 700rpm, which at that speed, I think would be adequately quick for most people.

Thanks Josh - you are correct. That is a good catch. I was watching the 25 min video.

In my opinion anything longer than 30 seconds is unacceptable for 18g. There are other grinders out there that grind just as fast as the lab sweet, such as the new lagom 98mm. I'd be interested to see how fast the wug2 goes through 18g at high rpm. Burrs also make a big impact on grind speed so I'd be interested to see how long it takes with lab sweet burrs.
LMWDP #715

Advertisement
malling

#48: Post by malling »

TigerStripes wrote: Thanks Josh - you are correct. That is a good catch. I was watching the 25 min video.

In my opinion anything longer than 30 seconds is unacceptable for 18g. There are other grinders out there that grind just as fast as the lab sweet, such as the new lagom 98mm. I'd be interested to see how fast the wug2 goes through 18g at high rpm. Burrs also make a big impact on grind speed so I'd be interested to see how long it takes with lab sweet burrs.
Yes the P100 and Nautilus can grind in mere seconds, but you probably shouldn't as the fastest are very high RPM, the results are generally not the best at highest RPM of that reason. It can also kinda defeats the purpose of a grinder with that ability if you just have it constantly there, it really should not matter for a home barista if it takes 1 second or 30 seconds.

1min isn't in reality longer then it take a lot to make everything else ready for the shot, so if that is the first thing you do you can use the time for what every you need to do in your routine to be ready. This is typically what most do with longer grinding time. Kafatek are slow so most find away to pass the time, also this is at slowest, at faster I imagine we have at least half it.

If I wanted to own a grinder because of a specific burrset as I imagine is the case, I would live with whatever annoyance it might have.

For me the world is fast enough my coffee doesn't need to follow that pace.

LindoPhotography

#49: Post by LindoPhotography »

Looking forward to hearing how these things actually perform, I really like the 83mm Conical mazzer burrs (I wonder if SSPs are any different/ better?)
Also curious to try the lab sweet style burrs.

I wonder how retention is affected putting flat burrs in there, I'd think there would be more space for coffee to accumulate. Most flat burr grinders have some sort of sweeper arm, didn't notice something like that here. Also how alignment can stay good for both flat and conical burr mounting.

Ingenious if it really works well!

jetset

#50: Post by jetset »

looks like there are 3 "sweeper arms"
(if I am not mistaken)