They've done it! Wug2-83A can swap between conical and flat burrs - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cafeIKE

#11: Post by cafeIKE »

In the immortal word of General McAuliffe, albeit in different sort of battle, "Nuts!"

malling

#12: Post by malling »

I liked the solution with a dual grinder better that Ozik had, unfortunately it never came to fruition, I don't see the project being resurrected any time soon, if ever.

This seems mostly a good idea from the manufacturers perspective, but really a bit to cumbersome to be real useful in the home. The design is also off putting to put it mildly.

Advertisement
bakafish

#13: Post by bakafish »

It is almost perfect to me. I drink only one cup of coffee a day and change coffee only when the bag is empty to avoid of stale coffee, so I drink the same coffee for 2 weeks. That means I drink pour over or espresso for at least 2 weeks. Sometimes I drink pour over continuously for 1 or 2 months. I prefer flat burrs for pour over and conical burrs for espresso, but do not have space to place 2 grinders.

Jonk

#14: Post by Jonk »

LObin wrote:- RPM: Flat 250-350
That's the main issue I see. Almost a minute to grind 14½g at max RPM. Perhaps it's worth it if it improves the grind, but I'd at least want the option to be able to speed it up as well.

TigerStripes

#15: Post by TigerStripes replying to Jonk »

They posted on instagram that a 600 rpm version will be available as flat burr only. From their instagram stories, it seems like there is significant interest in a grinder capable of housing lab sweet 80mm burrs. 600rpm is close to the Mahlkonig Peak which is 900-1100rpm, but still pretty far below the ditting at 1700rpm.

I've really grown to love the ~3 second grind time of my ditting 804, but even if 600rpm grinding takes 3x as long, that's still only 9 seconds of grinding. In my opinion, anything under 30 seconds is pretty tolerable. I don't understand how people love the monolith flats - when they take around a minute to grind. I would go insane.
LMWDP #715

DamianWarS

#16: Post by DamianWarS »

LObin wrote:

video

Finally a grinder that lets you swap between conical and flat burrs!

No details on price nor availability yet. Hopefully the first reviews will be positive...
I'm not sure who the intended market is for this as I think anyone serious about having both flat and conical profiles would probably just get 2 grinders. From a manufacturers perspective I wonder if the intent is to sell them as different models to have access to both markets without having to design 2 machines or risk having one over stocked.

LObin (original poster)

#17: Post by LObin (original poster) »

DamianWarS wrote:I'm not sure who the intended market is for this as I think anyone serious about having both flat and conical profiles would probably just get 2 grinders. From a manufacturers perspective I wonder if the intent is to sell them as different models to have access to both markets without having to design 2 machines or have one over stocked.
Wug2 already have the DAI conical which comes either in a 71mm or an 83mm model. Not sure why they aren't on the website at the moment... Maybe they only list them when they're in stock? Presale was in December 2020 and they sold out rather fast if I remember.

They also said they would be coming soon with a flat only grinder.
LMWDP #592

Advertisement
DamianWarS

#18: Post by DamianWarS replying to LObin »

It looks like they took their existing design and retrofitted flat burrs to them

LObin (original poster)

#19: Post by LObin (original poster) replying to DamianWarS »

It's quite possible.
LMWDP #592

jetset

#20: Post by jetset »

interesting topic
they should have hired a designer (then nobody would question the need for 2 different burr sets)
also the video is rather slow and a "reason not to buy"
but I get the point. hard work, good thought. (just missing the final 20% execution)
if they spent 2k on a designer and videographer they could sell these for 3,2k
:lol:

easily!