Switching from flat to conical grinder? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
NelisB

#21: Post by NelisB »

Some people look down on dark roasted coffee used as a base for milk drinks, light roast straight espresso is superior. Dont bother about that, also dark roasted coffee that is ground with a high-end grinder extracts better and tastes better. You will also taste that in a cappuccino or a flat white.

EvanOz85

#22: Post by EvanOz85 »

Moxiechef wrote:How is it overkill?
You don't need the nuances that an MC4 could potentially bring out of the coffee when it's got a bunch of milk in it. You could get basically the same taste from a much cheaper grinder. I don't mean a trash grinder, but it doesn't need to be a $2,600+ one either. And I say that as an MC4 owner.

ira
Team HB

#23: Post by ira »

As someone who puts milk in coffee and has a first batch Monolith Flat I'm going to have to disagree. That grinder means I no longer have to think about my grinder. I can trust that it just works. Making espresso became easier and more consistent making my morning routines a bit easier and more likely to make me smile. List price on a replacement motor for a Monolith is as much or more than some Chinese grinders which I guess speaks to stupidity or a quest for excellence. So if the money is not in the way, I think long term, a Monolith, Ultra, LW or equivalent is not inherently the wrong choice, even if you only drink coffee with milk.

EvanOz85

#24: Post by EvanOz85 replying to ira »

Understand what you mean, definitely. But for me personally, if I only drank shots with milk I'd sell my MC4 and just use my HG-1 Prime.

Jeff
Team HB

#25: Post by Jeff »

EvanOz85 wrote:[for milk drinks only] I'd sell my MC4 and just use my HG-1 Prime.
Apparently everyone has a different point of diminishing returns. A $1,000 hand grinder is considered absurd by many, even here. I'll even admit that my Option-O Lagom Mini at $435 is 4-10 times the price that most people that make their own coffee would expect to pay for a coffee grinder.

The trick is finding that point with there being very little information to go on, except the grinder in front of you.

ira
Team HB

#26: Post by ira »

EvanOz85 wrote:Understand what you mean, definitely. But for me personally, if I only drank shots with milk I'd sell my MC4 and just use my HG-1 Prime.
But an HG-1 is also considered an end game grinder, so while it costs less money, it's still in that same realm for most people. I regret that I didn't purchase the Versalab I considered as my first grinder. They were only around $1200 at the time as I remember and when they were right, pretty much considered among the best home grinders of the time, it was the "when they were right" thing that kept me away. I could afford one grinder, but I couldn't have afforded to experiment so I purchased the highly recommended by Chris Coffee, Macap M4D which turned out to be a terrible home grinder which I lived with till the Mono Flat I currently arrived. It requires no thought, no maintenance, it just works, provides no reason to want to upgrade and appears it will do so for my great grandchildren if I'd had children.

Moxiechef (original poster)

#27: Post by Moxiechef (original poster) »

EvanOz85 wrote:Understand what you mean, definitely. But for me personally, if I only drank shots with milk I'd sell my MC4 and just use my HG-1 Prime.
Interesting. I sold my HG-1 for my Mono Flat. Consistency and quality of our lattes went up.

I get that there may be lost nuances covered by the milk but from my blind side by sides with the HG-1, things tasted better.

And the consistency and easy of use, that got easier as well.

EvanOz85

#28: Post by EvanOz85 replying to Moxiechef »

Maybe some alignment issues with the HG-1? My HG-1 Prime is extraordinarily consistent, though I did have to realign it when I received it.

erik82

#29: Post by erik82 »

I owned a lot of grinders but after aligning my HG-1 it was by far the most consistent of them all. Those big conical burrs do a truely great job if consistency is what you're after.

Moxiechef (original poster)

#30: Post by Moxiechef (original poster) »

EvanOz85 wrote:Maybe some alignment issues with the HG-1? My HG-1 Prime is extraordinarily consistent, though I did have to realign it when I received it.
Maybe. I gave it my best shot aligning it over the years.

I did enjoy it over the years.