Switching from flat to conical grinder? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Moxiechef (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Moxiechef (original poster) »

Such interesting info. Thanks for that.

As for body, we don't drink straight espresso, so that kind of a non-issue.

Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Moxiechef (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Jim is spot on.

What would you like to improve in the flavor of your espresso? Are there specific defects you'd like to reduce or things you'd like to bring out more strongly?
Not really any defects. Just the exploration.

Jeff
Team HB

#13: Post by Jeff »

The best I can offer then is to pick a grinder that you're excited about the work flow and can afford the depreciation on if you don't find enough of a difference and a positive difference to keep it.

EvanOz85

#14: Post by EvanOz85 »

Moxiechef wrote:Such interesting info. Thanks for that.

As for body, we don't drink straight espresso, so that kind of a non-issue.
If you don't drink straight espresso, and only use med-dark roasts, you should def sell the Flat and get a conical. I think even an MC4 is overkill for what you'll be using it for.

ira
Team HB

#15: Post by ira »

I believe this might be true, but have no proof. Most of the big currently available conical Burrs were designed years ago for big shop grinders to as fast as possible. The went on the most expensive grinders because they required gears for the slower speed they turn. Their benefits were speed and lifetime. The better flavor most likely came from side effects and not because the burrs went through many iterations to get where they are.

In modern time it seems that the only advances till the Shuricones have been in small burrs for hand held grinders.

Like I said, this is my belief but I could be completely wrong. I should also say, I can think of no reason why one should not be able to make a conical that tastes just like a flat or vice-versa, but the amount of effort and money needed to design, prototype and test conical burrs is far more than for flat burrs.

Quester

#16: Post by Quester »

ira wrote:I should also say, I can think of no reason why one should not be able to make a conical that tastes just like a flat or vice-versa, but the amount of effort and money needed to design, prototype and test conical burrs is far more than for flat burrs.
I am skeptical. But intrigued by the idea.

I sitting here thinking of all the chaff that often shows up with my 98mm flat (or any flat). Same bean on a big conical--hard to see the chaff.

ira
Team HB

#17: Post by ira »

The bean takes a path through the burrs, I can't imagine it cares about the path. The difference with a conical is the path is shorter on one side, that might not be able to be worked around, but likely we'll never know. Probably easier to try and make a flat that matches a comical to try and prove the point if anyone cared.

pcdawson

#18: Post by pcdawson »

Ira - I think what you said about small hand held grinders as the only place where any innovation has occurred with conical burr sets is extremely insightful. I've been looking at replacing my old hand held and have been amazed with some of the one innovations from OE, Comandante, and some others.

Corgo

#19: Post by Corgo »

BaristaBob wrote:I agree with most of what has been said so far. Interesting enough, I've scratched the itch that had me move in the other direction...from a MonoCon v2 (68mm Mazzer TiN coated) to the newest MFlat with 75mm SSW burrs. Two months in, going over my range of coffees (medium-light to medium-dark), blind taste testing has resulted in me choosing the MFlat EVERY time. It has certainly surprised the heck out of me. And actually while dialing in the espressos before the actual blind test, both tasted tremendous. I thought surely, the MonoCon would come out on top one of those times, especially as I moved to the darker roasts. But it didn't. For me, and I must repeat for me...I'm looking for that balance of lower acidity, fruity sweetness, lingering dark chocolate notes without bitterness, layered in clarity. There...I said it! And before the side-by-side comparo, I didn't really know exactly what I was looking for until I tasted it. I know many like body, which I believe is a characteristic of conical burrs, but that's obviously low on my preference list.

I'd say get the new MonoCon and experiment with your go to coffees, if you have the cash. The loosing grinder goes to the Buy/Sell list. Win-Win for all.

Enjoy!!
Well, everything you just said has me clearly on team flat burrs. You literally just stated everything I want from my espresso. Haven't been getting that and sure if it's the beans or the grinder.

Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Moxiechef (original poster) »

EvanOz85 wrote:If you don't drink straight espresso, and only use med-dark roasts, you should def sell the Flat and get a conical. I think even an MC4 is overkill for what you'll be using it for.
How is it overkill?