Survivor: Grinder Edition

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cebseb

Postby cebseb » May 12, 2018, 11:35 pm

It's getting crowded on the island. Who will be voted off?!?

:mrgreen:
Full stop. No half measures. Thankful to be in such a supportive community.

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » May 13, 2018, 12:41 am

It looks like the EKK is about to "vote" Monolith Flat off the island.

EvergreenBuzzBuzz

Postby EvergreenBuzzBuzz » May 13, 2018, 7:49 am

What is the blue material on the arms of the Flat. Must be an enhanced grinder. Call Agents of Shield asap. I think it will prevail.

PS question was a serious one though?

Michael

cebseb

Postby cebseb » replying to EvergreenBuzzBuzz » May 13, 2018, 11:17 am

It's just painter's tape. Covered up the forks so the blind tumbler that slides in-between them won't scratch them up.

Mike - It sure looks like it! Not surprising since the Flat is the EK's closest competitor so far. With the updated SSP burrs for the Flat installed, I feel the gap between the two is starting to shrink*.

*For espresso only.

EvergreenBuzzBuzz

Postby EvergreenBuzzBuzz » May 13, 2018, 2:20 pm

Lol to painters tape. I thought it was from an alien planet. My portafilter sometimes slips so I thought maybe that's why it was there.

cebseb

Postby cebseb » replying to EvergreenBuzzBuzz » May 13, 2018, 2:22 pm

Yeah, my friend and I don't slide the portafilter in since we use the lynweber blind tumbler to catch the grounds first.

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » May 13, 2018, 3:19 pm

cebseb wrote:It's just painter's tape. Covered up the forks so the blind tumbler that slides in-between them won't scratch them up.

Mike - It sure looks like it! Not surprising since the Flat is the EK's closest competitor so far. With the updated SSP burrs for the Flat installed, I feel the gap between the two is starting to shrink*.

*For espresso only.

Have you tried Flat/SSP for pourover or drip yet? Turn speed down to 300 for that. I was surprised how good the grinder is for nonespresso even with Mythos Burrs. BobM likes it with SSP equally to his EK, which he subsequently sold. We all think MAX or aligned EK with SSP burrs will be best for nonespresso applications. Other than speed, there should be only subtle difference from those to a Flat/SSP combination.

markmark1

Postby markmark1 » May 13, 2018, 3:20 pm

Plasti Dip might be a good anti slip/scratch protection material. Should be reversible too.

cebseb

Postby cebseb » May 13, 2018, 3:36 pm

mivanitsky wrote:Have you tried Flat/SSP for pourover or drip yet? Turn speed down to 300 for that. I was surprised how good the grinder is for nonespresso even with Mythos Burrs. BobM likes it with SSP equally to his EK, which he subsequently sold. We all think MAX or aligned EK with SSP burrs will be best for nonespresso applications. Other than speed, there should be only subtle difference from those to a Flat/SSP combination.

I've tried varying speeds, but nothing as low as 300rpm. I've tried higher speeds with the Flat and the only difference I can tell is that the grinds required distribution prior to pulling a shot to avoid channeling.

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » May 13, 2018, 4:05 pm

On Flat, I never go over 400, and 300 is better for coarser grinds. My espresso default speed is 350 for Flat or MAX.