Survivor: Grinder Edition - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cebseb (original poster)

#71: Post by cebseb (original poster) »

And the beast is back. Well deserving of a photo shoot. The new burrs are fantastic.

NelisB

#72: Post by NelisB »

cebseb wrote:And the beast is back. Well deserving of a photo shoot. The new burrs are fantastic.
Are these the burrs with the final geometry? Is it a "Kafatek-only" design, or is it just one of SSP's 98mm geometries?
Can you describe how they are fantastic compared to the previous ones, taste-wise?

Thanks

danetrainer

#73: Post by danetrainer »

I swapped the V2 burrs back in as I had an additional MAX for a week or so a while back. I was remembering how pleased I was with the beta MAX version when only those burrs were available and being an impatient person wanting to see if the speed hit was warranted with the new V3 burrs.
They are a night to day revelation taste wise to me. I did allot of playing around speed wise as I thought I could get the V2 in an acceptable range taste wise possibly by slowing them down, but it proved not the case to me.
The issue I believe is particle size distribution widens significantly with V2 and regardless of technique this can not be overcome with any amount of Espresso machine gymnastics (blooming, short/long PI, no PI, all manner of pressure/flow profiling, etc). A truely Unimodial grind allows even extractions of every particle so the taste is sweet and balanced.

Here is a pic of the Silver Night V2 burrs I installed:

I cannot visually see the difference to the V3 burrs, but they do behave significantly better. They also open up the adjustment range & I'm never near the zero point to grind fine enough for some certain coffees. I believe the V3 are Kafatek specific as it was a collaboration between Denis and Hansung, but again I'm not sure if that means they are exclusive.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#74: Post by mivanitsky »

They are presently unique to Kafatek, but I expect that Hansung will make the burr widely available, eventually.