Super Jolly Doserless Parts Template [finished]

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sleepdance

#1: Post by sleepdance »

I bought an Astoria Super Jolly that didn't include a doser, so I've been working on a template to make the panels that cover the front of the unit. This should work for Mazzer & Astoria Super Jollies.

The template is available as an SVG file at: http://www.soulshadow.com/SJ/Template_Mazzer.svg (right click the link and save the file, then open it with Inkscape).

The picture below is to show the design only; use the SVG file to maintain the correct scale.
Large preview: http://www.soulshadow.com/SJ/Mazzer_Template.png

Disclaimer: I'm an archaeologist not an engineer, and I just made this based on a paper mock-up that I threw together.

Design Updated 10-3-2010: Chute removed, measurements fixed.

sleepdance (original poster)

#2: Post by sleepdance (original poster) »

Here's the finished product:

I ended up only using the above template only as a reference, because I had the help of a friend who knew how to work the aluminum without needing to cut multiple pieces. It's not the prettiest solution, but it works perfectly and will be repainted one day.

An aluminum cup was sacrificed for the chute, taking inspiration from the martini shaker mod https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... nes/134026

mute

#3: Post by mute »

Interested in seeing how this turns out! I don't have a Mazzer, but it would be nice to be able to convert a doser to doserless without spending like $200.

#4: Post by sleepdance (original poster) »

I'll update the template when I settle on a final design. Luckily, all of the parts are flat shapes and will be easy to cut from a sheet of aluminum.

godlyone

#5: Post by godlyone »

LOL your original chute design looks like it caused a face full of coffee grinds

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Several years ago, Lino was working on a similar design:

From Mazzer Super Jolly doserless modification

I don't know what became of it, but the final iteration was well suited for easy metal forming. Might be worth asking him about it (Lino's contact info).
Dan Kehn

#7: Post by sleepdance (original poster) »

LOL your original chute design looks like it caused a face full of coffee grinds
A counter full for sure. Most of the grinds did end up in the portafilter, but several grams were being lost per double.
I don't know what became of it, but the final iteration was well suited for easy metal forming. Might be worth asking him about it (Lino's contact info).
I saw Lino's design in my search for ideas. Lino's chute appealed to me initially, but after testing with flat chutes; I agree with others that the grinder is simply designed to have the grinds exit onto a curved surface.

I'm going to try out the martini shaker solution before spending much time on a homemade conical chute.

godlyone

#8: Post by godlyone »

Currently I am beta-testing a doserless solution.

I wanted to keep the look of the doser (I think it makes the grinder look better), but get rid of the mess I have to clean every time.

The solution was to take the bottom off the doser completely. This means the dosing mechanism and everything.

All you are left with is a hollow cylinder

Now create a funnel out of sheet metal. The size should be the size of your doser

the cutout is something like this:

Then you roll it up and tape/weld it into place to make a nice funnel. Cut the bottom to make the hole the diameter you like.

Now if it is the right size it will fit with friction into the original doser body. You can weld/apply some tape here as well to hold it better

The final product is a funnel within the doser body which looks much better and performs the same as the funnel idea.

| || |
|\ / |
| \ / |

Can get some pics soon for you

#9: Post by sleepdance (original poster) »

That is a popular solution, and supposedly works great for people with dosers. I have no doser though, so one has to be made from scratch.

godlyone

#10: Post by godlyone »

Here is my rough doserless mod: