Suggestions on converting voltage/amperage for Baratza Sette 270W?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thusband

#1: Post by thusband »

We're in California now but will be moving to the UK next year. I can get a voltage converter but isn't also important to convert amperage too? Does Baratza offer a conversion service? Is there a place in the UK that services Baratza?

Many thanks.

StuartM
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by StuartM »

Hi Tom

Usually the only issue that arises that a step down transformer can't deal with isn't the amperage or voltage but the frequency. UK power is 50Hz and US is 60Hz. That usually only affects certain complex devices like old school TV and video recorders. Shouldn't be a problem for a motor in a grinder. But I'm sure if you drop the Baratza folks a line they can confirm....

Advertisement
thusband (original poster)

#3: Post by thusband (original poster) »

Sorry, frequency. I knew it was something other than voltage. I'll drop Baratza a line.

Thanks for setting me straight.

edit: It's a step up transformer I'll need right? 120 volts to 240 volts.

Oops, more checking and I think you're right. It's a step down. Whew, a bit confusing.

yvizel

#4: Post by yvizel »

thusband wrote:Sorry, frequency. I knew it was something other than voltage. I'll drop Baratza a line.

Thanks for setting me straight.

edit: It's a step up transformer I'll need right? 120 volts to 240 volts.
No. The line output in the UK is 240V. Your grinder takes 120V. So you need a step-down transformer, from the line output (240V) to the grinder input (120V).

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

Step up...step down...it's all relative. These transformers (more properly autotransformers) are bilateral devices. If you buy one to step up from 120 to 240 Volts, it will also step down from 240 to 120 Volts. Many of them also have taps and a meter for fine tuning. Note this is the case for transformers, not electronic power converters, which are an entirely different cat. Most of the devices sold for this purpose (see Amazon, eBay) are autotransformers. Some really small ones (like for shavers) may not be. Some big industrial ones may not be. BTW, some people call these Variacs, which is incorrect. Variac is a brand name of a variable autotransformer...kind of like calling all tissues "Kleenex". The biggest issue is capacity. Many vendors state the short-term (peak) capacity. If you are going to use the transformer for extended periods, you need to be sure you have a transformer that will handle the continuous load (in Watts or Volt-Amps). To make matters more complex, a lot of the Chinese ones are advertised to handle far more power than they actually can (read the reviews). So, if in doubt go up a size.

Frequency is another matter. Generally, inductive things (motors, transformers, relays) that run on 50-Hertz will run on 60-Herts just fine. Motors will run faster if they are mains driven. But, things designed for 60-Hertz will run hotter on 50-Hertz. Motors will run slower. Resistive components (e.g., heaters) don't care about frequency.

BTW, I second the suggestion to talk to Baratza.

#6: Post by thusband (original poster) »

Thanks, it's bit clearer now. I'll need the converter for my Baratza and La Pavoni. I see some models can handle two appliances so with a rating 1000 watts I should be OK. I thought I might have to change motors and heating elements.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas »

For the small difference in price and the peace of mind that I wouldn't likely overheat the transformer, I'd go up to at least 1500 Watts and preferably 2000, especially if the transformer is Chinese. Since your lever takes 1000-Watts all by itself, going bigger would not only give you some comfort, but it would also allow you to safely run the grinder at the same time.

Advertisement

#8: Post by thusband (original poster) »

Very good point. I wondered about the wattage of the La Pavoni. I won't scrimp on the wattage.

Many thanks.

chimopaul

#9: Post by chimopaul »

Although not an answer to the original question, here's a tip (from experience) for some 120V/60Hz electronics you may have that run off of step-down transformers on 50Hz systems.

This concerns older electronics that have simple "wall-wart" transformers (heavier) that are not switch-mode power supplies (lighter). The older wall-warts often have a thermal link (fuse) adjacent to the windings. When continuously (24/7) running at 50Hz, the winding would heat up a bit more and sometimes blow the thermal link. For your consideration if you have any of theses older wall-warts.

Most of the newer switch-mode power supplies will run happily at both voltages and frequencies with a simple plug adapter. Read their labels to make sure!

#10: Post by thusband (original poster) »

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I believe I'll only be taking the lever machine and the grinder with me.