Stuck Niche Zero

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
javipi

#1: Post by javipi »

Hello guys,
I own a Niche Zero, and trying to dial in new beans I got, the niche stuck. I was at 11 position within the espresso range. It started grinding and stops, while you can hear the motor still applying force but the burrs are just stuck. Is the first time it happens.

I removed the beans grinding in a super coarse setting, cleaned the burrs, calibrated and again it stuck trying to grind for espresso.

Has this happened to anyone you know?
What would you recommend? I tried to search the site but didn't find any info.

Thanks in advanced

thirdcrackfourthwave

#2: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave replying to javipi »

I know me. It happened to me, once. Were you trying to grind extremely lightly roasted beans? The only thing I could come up with was a coarser grind. I pulled the beans out, went at it a bit coarser and it worked.

Advertisement
javipi (original poster)

#3: Post by javipi (original poster) replying to thirdcrackfourthwave »

Yes!!
It's not even EXTREMELY LIGHT, I would say its lightly roasted. WOW! I would not have thought you could not use light roasted coffees in the Niche! I have an EK43, but my guess was that I could try new beans in the Niche without changing the coffee I have in my EK. What a turn off!

Quester

#4: Post by Quester replying to javipi »

Why aren't you single dosing in the EK? If it's aligned, what a great grinder for light coffee!

I'm not suggesting you do this, but if you defeat the safety and pour the beans in gradually, the Niche may be just fine. Sort of like many people have to do with the Versalab M3/M4 using hard beans.

EddyQ

#5: Post by EddyQ »

javipi wrote:It's not even EXTREMELY LIGHT, I would say its lightly roasted. WOW! I would not have thought you could not use light roasted coffees in the Niche!
My Niche doesn't have issues with very light roasts. I've ground beans with only 45sec of development with no problems. I have not tried any cinnamon roasts. Your beans are likely very underdeveloped, meaning they are not roasted in the center. You may be fooled by a darker outside color to thinking they are not extremely light, but they likely are IMO.
LMWDP #671

javipi (original poster)

#6: Post by javipi (original poster) »

Quester wrote:Why aren't you single dosing in the EK? If it's aligned, what a great grinder for light coffee!

I'm not suggesting you do this, but if you defeat the safety and pour the beans in gradually, the Niche may be just fine. Sort of like many people have to do with the Versalab M3/M4 using hard beans.
Yes , that's why I got the EK, ran by Titus. But I had some beans in the hopper last night and decided to go and try the Niche for that. But I guess I will have to stick to the plan. Thanks!

javipi (original poster)

#7: Post by javipi (original poster) »

EddyQ wrote:My Niche doesn't have issues with very light roasts. I've ground beans with only 45sec of development with no problems. I have not tried any cinnamon roasts. Your beans are likely very underdeveloped, meaning they are not roasted in the center. You may be fooled by a darker outside color to thinking they are not extremely light, but they likely are IMO.
You are probably right. I'll run them by the EK and see what they are all about.

Advertisement
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by samuellaw178 »

Have you contacted the company directly? Sounds like this could be a out of spec or defect unit. Like others, I have not managed to stall the grinder even when I tried to (within reasons).

EricC
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by EricC »

Quester wrote: pour the beans in gradually, the Niche may be just fine. Sort of like many people have to do with the Versalab M3/M4 using hard beans.
Sorry, but this is not correct.

Since the Versalab M4 upgrades to the M3 and the M4 itself of course, you can fully load up the Versalab and grind from a standing start no matter the depth of roast.

MB

#10: Post by MB »

Maybe this is where the new disc with the hole would be helpful.
LMWDP #472