Struggling with DF83 pour over

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
XJ9

#1: Post by XJ9 »

Hi all
i have just got my df83 two weeks ago. the overall experience and workflow are nice, especially it grinds espresso size much much faster than my lagom mini!
The only thing i am struggling is on the pour over.
I found that the flow even on V60 is quite slow even on scale of 65-70, which makes me extra struggle when i use Kono (which i actually preferred).
The problem should comes from the excess amount of fines df83 produced, i also observed that most of the fines are from pressing the bellow.
after doing some searching on internet, i found that i could be due to the original 2 declumpers?
should i remove one of them? if so which one should i remove?
or is there any mod from any stores which is recommended to solve the issue of extra fines?

Kindly share your feedback, thanks! :D

ojt

#2: Post by ojt »

I do not own this grinder but:

If there are a lot of fines the various tricks like declumper fiddling and sieving etc are a means to work around the problem rather than fixing the problem. You didn't mention the exact burrs you have but I would guess they just aren't very good for filter, exactly because of excessive amount of fines. Maybe they'll get better as they season? Maybe not. Maybe you will learn to change your recipes and technique to adapt to the grinds? Maybe not.

If you want the grinder to work fine for both espresso and filter, from what I see around the SSP cast ("lab sweet") burrs might be your best option, if available in 83mm size.
Osku

LObin

#3: Post by LObin »

I'm guessing you have a V1 if you have 2 declumpers.
I have a V1, waiting on the plasma generator kit.
No declumper. Static is very manageable for me.
Removing both declumpers will greatly improve your pour overs. Try it.

If it works (it will), cut the center part of one of the declumper and use it as a gasket. You shouldn't have problems without a gasket but better to do it just in case.
LMWDP #592

malling

#4: Post by malling »

XJ9 wrote:Hi all
i have just got my df83 two weeks ago. the overall experience and workflow are nice, especially it grinds espresso size much much faster than my lagom mini!
The only thing i am struggling is on the pour over.
I found that the flow even on V60 is quite slow even on scale of 65-70, which makes me extra struggle when i use Kono (which i actually preferred).
The problem should comes from the excess amount of fines df83 produced, i also observed that most of the fines are from pressing the bellow.
after doing some searching on internet, i found that i could be due to the original 2 declumpers?
should i remove one of them? if so which one should i remove?
or is there any mod from any stores which is recommended to solve the issue of extra fines?

Kindly share your feedback, thanks! :D
The original DF83 both uses a burr that is traditionally in cut so it is more bimodal making less suitable for brew, it also is blending type again rarely optimum for brew quality and it also have issues with regrinding that increases fines production. To fix this you need to remove/change/cut the silicone flapper behind the cute there video online that show how this is done. This should also improve espresso. There should also be a kit available to convert it to V2.

However don't expect miracles for filter with those burrs.

XJ9 (original poster)

#5: Post by XJ9 (original poster) »

talking about v2, i thought that was mostly to reduce statics?
will the declumper be changed/upgraded to solve the issue of extra fines?
i heard that the extra fines are mostly created by the original declumpers, therefore i wanted to see if removing them / one of them is a good idea.

should i remove both or one of them (which of them)?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5831819

do you think if its going to work?

XJ9 (original poster)

#6: Post by XJ9 (original poster) »

LObin wrote:I'm guessing you have a V1 if you have 2 declumpers.
I have a V1, waiting on the plasma generator kit.
No declumper. Static is very manageable for me.
Removing both declumpers will greatly improve your pour overs. Try it.

If it works (it will), cut the center part of one of the declumper and use it as a gasket. You shouldn't have problems without a gasket but better to do it just in case.
we can buy the plasma kit separately later on?

LObin

#7: Post by LObin replying to XJ9 »

Espresso Outlet had 50 conversion kits that sold out already. They're expecting more.
The kit comes with a new style plastic declumper.
There's also a metal declumper available for those who are not comfortable playing with the wiring.
https://www.turingrinders.com/products/df83-declumper

The plasma generator mod reduces static indeed but, also at the same time, reduces to a bare minimum the amount of retained grinded inside the chute. These caught grinds are causing some grind exchange from dose to dose which isn't great especially when going from espresso to filter.

Declumpers and bellows aren't always a great match since whatever is caught outside of the declumper tend to get regrounded when using the bellows, causing extra fines that eventually clogs your brew.

Remove both declumpers for now and give it a try. You'll notice right away that you'll be able to grind much finer which indicates less fines overall.
When you go from espresso to filter (assuming you do), I'd recommend cleaning the inside of the chute with a wooden chopstick or small wire brush. This will limit the grind exchange.

The only thing that you need to figure out is how manageable is the static without the declumpers. If it's really bad, the V2 kit (1st choice) or metal declumper (regrinding?) will help with that.
LMWDP #592

malling

#8: Post by malling »

The chute design is flawed, it narrows down instead of what it's supposed to opening up, we have to wait until Turin adresses this or some at etsy make one.

XJ9 (original poster)

#9: Post by XJ9 (original poster) »

Guys, before we carry on the discussion, I want to ask a stupid question first.
I was trying to remove one of the declumpers, yet I found one only! And something very alike the plasma generator?!

Is my df83 v2 then ?!

XJ9 (original poster)

#10: Post by XJ9 (original poster) »

So right now I didn't remove the only one declumper...
I saw from YouTube that someone suggested not to press bellow should improve pour over experience