Stepless mod for Rancilio Rocky - a cleaner approach

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JimF

#1: Post by JimF »

We can no longer reply to this old-but-excellent thread:

Stepless mod for Rancilio Rocky- a cleaner approach

The OP never posted a photo of this mod, so I'll post one here. I was unable to get the same spring from Ace Hardware that he identified, although I'm told it is available on Amazon. I got another spring of the proper inside diameter and then cut it down to a similar length. Here's what the mod looks like on the inside:

The sad thing is that my Rocky used to be stepless, but purely due to my own neglect. It turns out that if you procrastinate cleaning it long enough, the innards get sticky and disgusting enough that it effectively becomes stepless because the bean hopper sticks wherever you put it. After finally giving it a thorough cleaning I was no longer able to control my grind well enough to get a balanced shot! I guess I deserved that.

First test: dialing in the dose with this mod, in combination with using the "nutating tamp" technique that I picked up on another thread last night, resulted in a beautifully extracted and balanced shot, and as a latte was full of chocolate, butter, caramel, and with a pleasant and soft 'tanginess' that I was looking for. Thank you, HB!