Star Seeker Edge Plus 63mm Conical Grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LM21_2_Coffee

#1: Post by LM21_2_Coffee »

This sounds potentially promising to me, especially for the cost. Why so few reviews?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Reviewing yet another cheap grinder becomes very painful, very quickly. Most offer little positive differences from their peers. Many bring with them new annoyances. Look at all the fatigue of people just trying to keep up with the DF64 series. Then there's cost. Unless someone sends an influencer one for review, there's likely no return on spending several hundred on what statistically is going to be a dud.

Kran

#3: Post by Kran »

I've been staring at one in my amazon cart for a week or so. I'm in the market for a conical to go with my DF64 and Df64v, which I find work fine.

I'll post some comments if I end up getting one.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

LM21_2_Coffee wrote:This sounds potentially promising to me, especially for the cost. Why so few reviews?
I suspect there are few reviews as I think that the grinder is a bit too close in both price and RPM to the Niche Zero, and too much of a price premium over another relatively-unknown conical, the Femobook A68. Why buy an unknown quantity when a known quantity with a known burrset is available for a bit more?

If the grinder had variable RPM, or a lower RPM, then perhaps there might be more interest.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

I'm not sure what to say. I'm old enough to remember all the junk radios, cameras, and watches from Japan in the late 50s and early 60s. Then suddenly, over a span of two or three years, not junk anymore, but terrific gear at killer prices.

Back then, you had lots of retailers on the look out for something like this (think of the markups you could get away with!). Sadly, today the only ones with a profit motive are influencers and mega retailers, neither of whom have any reason to distinguish sharply between junk and treasure.

Personally, I'll take a lesson from Nikon and Olympus, Japanese camara makers who worked closely with pro photographers; and focus on those Chinese manufactured grinders made by companies who work closely with coffee pros. That will get you high end quality control and thought through designs, rather than shot-in-the-dark knockoffs.

I think the general transtion from junk to treasure will only happen when these companies, i.e. who work closely with pros and do guaranteed high quality, are far more successful than the no-name producers. At that point, the no-name producers will see that getting a reputation for quality is the way to go. Sadly, as far as I can see, influencers and Amazon are undermining the transition to quality, rather than helpinig it along.
Jim Schulman

LM21_2_Coffee (original poster)

#6: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

Kran wrote:I've been staring at one in my amazon cart for a week or so. I'm in the market for a conical to go with my DF64 and Df64v, which I find work fine.

I'll post some comments if I end up getting one.
Sweet! Thanks! I just bought a D64G2. Still curious about large concical grinders though, and the Starseeker Plus is a large conical on a budget.

LM21_2_Coffee (original poster)

#7: Post by LM21_2_Coffee (original poster) »

I was able to find 1 review from a home user somewhere in Europe. He likes it. I suspect it might be good, especially for the money.

What I don't get is why there's only 1 Youtube review from a home user. No reviews from established coffee influencers. Those influencers have reviewed many other Chinese grinders that were not well known until after they reviewed them.

Also, as far as I can tell, in the USA, the Star Seeker Plus costs a lot less than Niche Zero. The Niche Zero costs a lot more in USA than it does in Britain.

Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

I know at least one "influencer" that has a pile of crap that he'll never review publicly. What's the point of wasting your time and your audience's attention with "this XXXXXX is a piece of crap" unless there's some humor around how bad it is? Most gear out there is either "adequate" or "less than adequate". Most gear never has a review done. Even here, it got to the point over a decade ago where it became, "Yeah, another E61 box. What's the point of reviewing it?"

I can't say the reviews on Amazon are enticing, all two of them. I'm not seeing excitement on EAF about it. Searching "star seeker" turns up three posts. "Lagom mini" turns up 2,433. You can check Reddit if you want.

It's a $530 grinder with nothing that I see that suggests that it is better than the Lagom Mini ($428 delivered) or the Niche Zero (in the $400s used, $655 new). For that matter, the Sette 270 is $400 and I can get one in a couple days.
★ Helpful

randytsuch

#9: Post by randytsuch »

Jeff wrote:It's a $530 grinder with nothing that I see that suggests that it is better than the Lagom Mini ($428 delivered) or the Niche Zero (in the $400s used, $655 new). For that matter, the Sette 270 is $400 and I can get one in a couple days.
If you want to play with a conical for around that price, look for a used Niche Zero. You see them come up for sale often enough these days for $500 or less. Even though its used, much safer choice, IMHO.

Randy

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

Niche Zero with delivery to USA is ~$655 with a Mazzer Kony burrset,
Starseeker Edge+ w/delivery on Amazon is $531 with an unknown burrset.

So about a 20% savings. Is the $125 savings worth the risk? All I am saying is that amount of difference may be one reason why the grinder hasn't aroused a lot of interest.

As an aside, if eventually desired, a Mazzer Kony burrset is about $165 w/shipping - assuming that it'll fit the Starseeker.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada