SSP Red Speed coated burrs - Testing - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thecoffeefield

Postby thecoffeefield » May 31, 2018, 10:45 am

Ellejaycafe wrote:I've had the burrs for a while now and my initial impressions are "I'm very very impressed." They are on par with the k30 and blow the stock burrs out of the water in every respect. If only I had a refractometer...

If there is anything anyone wants to see just let me know! I plan on doing an in depth post later.

Can you compare clumping from both grinders, just to see if the Super Jolly with the SSP burrs clump more or less than the K30? Also, can you verify how much body you taste in shots pulled from both grinders?
Thank you

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Jun 02, 2018, 10:48 pm

I have found it easier to dial-in with these burrs over the stock Ceado burrs. The distance between the absolute zero and where I dial in for espresso is greater with this grinder. This has effectively expanded my dial-in range on this grinder making movements of the adjustment collar less touchy and easier to predict their effects. See photo and explanation below.

The Ceado adjustment scale is odd to me but here is how I notate it: Between the numbers 0 and 1, there are 5 hashes. I notate like this
0 .2, .4, .6, .8, .10 1

So, as per the photo, my old absolute zero point was 7.4. The new absolute zero point is 6.6. (I did a quick alignment job with foil shims on both burr sets) I guess the effectiveness of alignment on this style of grinder is up for debate but I did it and it is better then when i didn't.

Further, my espresso range is quite similar. It may have moved -.2 or .3.
So with the old burrs, my dial in for RBE was 0.4 (six marks) ahead of absolute zero. The dial in for the same coffee with the SSP burrs is 0.2 (10 marks) ahead of absolute zero.

This has made dialing in easier because when I make a move of the collar with the SSP burrs installed, it has less effect on the time of the pull than when I made the same move with the Ceado burrs. In effect, the espresso range on my grinder is larger. This makes dialing-in less touchy and easier to predict for me.

This is all sorta preliminary stuff, i have only had them for like a week and i have only dialed in 2 blends: Redbird Espresso and Nossa Ernesto's. But i have tripple checked the new aboslute zero and i am finding adjustments more predictable.

I hope all this made sense!

Peter_SVK

Postby Peter_SVK » Jun 03, 2018, 7:21 am

Just a technical note: from the picture it looks to me like you can remove the screw located above the scale Zero point and can rotate whole scale to adjust scale Zero point leftwards, closer to physical zero point (where the burrs touch), so whole grinding range gets to "positive" numbers right from scale Zero point. Nothing that important, but looks more logically.

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Jun 13, 2018, 9:23 pm

Update on grind speed in the E6P with SSP burrs. Sorry but i do not know what the grind time was with stock burrs. I think it was around 9-11 seconds for 18 grams, depending on the coffee's roast level and necessary grind size to acheive a tasty shot.

With Nossa Ernesto's, a medium roasted brazil, I am getting 18 grams in about 6.5 seconds.

Note, the E6P has no timer display so i am averaging stopwatch measurements.

That is all.

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » replying to lancealot » Jun 13, 2018, 10:47 pm

How is the taste? Still thin?

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Jun 14, 2018, 12:02 am

Meh, that observation was apparent to me when i first changed the burrs. It wasnt a HUGE difference and i dont notice it anymore. I dont have the ability to do head-to-head shots with the old burrs and my memory has faded.

Major differences compaired to the stock burrs:
Faster grind times, easier dial-in (for me), more accurite timed dosing.

Smaller differences, or rather, differences that are more subjective and harder to substantiate:
I beleive I have a more even extraction, though the only thing i have to convince me of that is the ability to reduce unwanted flavors through grind adjustment in a way that i couldnt with the stock burrs, i.e.: getting rid of the sharp flavors in redbird espresso that used to haunt me and better control over the acidic flavors in Nossa Ernesto's then i remember having with the stock burrs.

I do think the smaller differneces are real. But lets remember that i spent $200 on a set of burrs. In the end, i am happy. But i am done chasing the dragon for a while.

For me, its time to enjoy the coffee and stop worrying about my equipment! ( i also just got back from a vacation where i was stuck with pre-ground *bucks drip for 5 days, so i am counting my blessings!)