SSP Lab Sweet 83mm

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thinkertinkering

#1: Post by thinkertinkering »

Starting a new thread here as i feel guilty for hijacking the SSP Lab Sweet 64mm thread at SSP Lab Sweet 64mm
When what i really wanted to discuss about was the SSP Lab Sweet 83mm instead. I hope the creation of this thread here would encourage continued participation from the right user groups all over.

Firstly, allow me to use this first post here to re-iterate a few interesting posts about the SSP Lab Sweet 83mm, thanks to collective inputs from all below !
I'll continue on to post #2 to summarise my own findings, and share what i've settled with eventually.
coffeeOnTheBrain wrote:I believe someone more knowledgeable than me once stated that the main reason is weight to differentiate. The lighter burr should be the moving burr to make the bearings last longer and make it more easy for the motor.
EvanOz85 wrote: I've been discussing this exact issue with someone in private messages. I think Hansung may be getting lost in translation. With all of the other Lab Sweet sets (Ditting LS, SSP 80mm LS), the burr with the most pre-breakers is the stationary and the one with fewer is the rotary. But Hansung has that marked backwards on the back of the 83mm set. The B has less pre-breakers than the T on the 83 mm, yet the B is marked Stationary.

In contrast, I just got a set of his 80mm EG-1 Lab Sweets, and the B *is* the one with fewer pre-breakers and *is* marked rotary.

Case in point, I think the backs of the 83mm's are mislabled.

How can we figure this out? What is even the reason for stationary vs. rotary?
flyingtoaster wrote:Yes, as we discussed on my 83mm SSP Lab Sweet, the "rotary" one is marked T and has 13 scoops. The "fixed" one is marked B and has 12 scoops.

Going off this thread, I believe the one with more scoops goes on top Any Ditting Lab Sweet owners want to test all the burrs? Pics of 4 burr sets

I am seeing more clumping when I have the 13 scoop burr on the bottom and 12 scoop on top.

Lastly, my own input from an exchange from the SSP maker themselves.
thinkertinkering wrote: http://www.espressotool.com/786402328/? ... a!/5480526

You may look it up yourself from the 83mm Lab Sweet Q&A pages of SSP's, dated 10th July 2023.

######################################################################

Hello there, I have got your 83mm Lab sweet silver knight. The burr with "T" at the teeth side says "rotary" if I turn it around. The burr with the "B" at the teeth side says "fixed" when I turned it around. Is this a mistake? My grinder is DF83, can you tell me which one should be top or bottom?

관리자 11 Jul 2023 08:44
please follow the marking on its back side. front marking is for internal use.
Thank you,

Kell 11 Jul 2023 09:10
Sorry can you clarify please, follow the "T"/"B" on the teeth side, or follow the rotary/fixed on the smooth side

관리자 12 Jul 2023 08:50
Please use Rotary / Fixed. Thank you.

flyingtoaster

#2: Post by flyingtoaster »

I went back to "Rotary" "T" 13 scoop on the bottom and "Fixed" "B" 12 scoop on the top and I'm also getting clumping, so disregard what I said about clumping earlier. I am getting clumping in both configurations as I season the burrs with oily dark roast, but I am not seeing clumping when grinding light roast for shots. I am only 2 kgs into seasoning and the burrs still taste bitter and grassy. At this point, I don't think it matters which burr is on top (and I don't see why it would matter). I also need more seasoning to evaluate the 83mm Lab Sweet as a whole.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by buckersss »

Thank you for creating this thread. Has anyone compared these against the 83mm MPs?

thinkertinkering (original poster)

#4: Post by thinkertinkering (original poster) »

I went back and forth re-installing either ways for the third time now and still don't really know what to make of it.

Fun facts i've gathered so far :

The burr piece casted with "T" on teeth side (aka front), ink stamped "Rotary" on the smooth side (aka back)
- Has 13 sections (which is 1 more, as compared to 12 on the other piece)
- Weigh 170g (which is lighter, as compared to 173g on the other piece)
- Advised by SSP that this should be installed at the bottom (ie: SSP says Rotary ink stamp is the correct reference)

The burr piece casted with "B" on teeth side (aka front), ink stamped "Fixed" on the smooth side (aka back)
- Has 12 sections (which is 1 less, as compared to 13 on the other piece)
- Weigh 173g (which is heavier, as compared to 170g on the other piece)
- Advised by SSP that this should be installed at the top (ie: SSP says Fixed ink stamp is the correct reference)

I would NOT consider my tests are conclusive but so far, when i followed SSP's advice, i'm able to achieve very consistent particle distribution and even fine grinds, the espresso pull is visually beautiful at full 9 bars, and i could even choke the machine if i wanted to. What's in the cup is thick crema and fuller body comparatively.

In a flipside test, when i reinstalled the pieces in the opposite of SSP's advice, i get inconsistent particle distribution, the espresso pull results in sudden gush even at 6 bar, i had to pull the brew pressure down to minimum just to save a drinkable shot. What's in the cup is flat and no crema, thin body.

I'll be going back to SSP's advised set up since that's the only functional scenario for me... it will be my forth time changing the set up now ! grrr...

gobucks

#5: Post by gobucks »

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether to get the lab sweets in red speed or silver knight? I feel like there is a lot of inconsistent information. On his website and instagram, Hansung seems to suggest that the red speeds are better for multipurpose/espresso, and silver knights are for brewing. But I've also seen him suggest that the coatings are just about burr longevity, and don't affect grind distribution. But then I've also seen a suggestion that the lower coefficient of friction on the silver knights produces fewer fines.

I also feel like 95% of user photos I've seen of the SSP lab sweets (of all sizes) use the silver knight coatings, is the consensus that these are better, or is it just that they look more like the original ditting burrs? I'm kinda leaning towards the silver knights, cuz they look cooler, and also I'm wondering if the lower coefficient of friction might be a tiny bit easier on my Niche Duo's 130w motor (yes I realize it's geared up, so it will probably be fine, but it probably wouldn't hurt to give it slightly less work to do).

flyingtoaster

#6: Post by flyingtoaster »

I got uncoated because it's more like the Ditting burrs.

malling

#7: Post by malling »

gobucks wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on whether to get the lab sweets in red speed or silver knight? I feel like there is a lot of inconsistent information. On his website and instagram, Hansung seems to suggest that the red speeds are better for multipurpose/espresso, and silver knights are for brewing. But I've also seen him suggest that the coatings are just about burr longevity, and don't affect grind distribution. But then I've also seen a suggestion that the lower coefficient of friction on the silver knights produces fewer fines.

I also feel like 95% of user photos I've seen of the SSP lab sweets (of all sizes) use the silver knight coatings, is the consensus that these are better, or is it just that they look more like the original ditting burrs? I'm kinda leaning towards the silver knights, cuz they look cooler, and also I'm wondering if the lower coefficient of friction might be a tiny bit easier on my Niche Duo's 130w motor (yes I realize it's geared up, so it will probably be fine, but it probably wouldn't hurt to give it slightly less work to do).
It has no effect on PSD, I written with a few even Frank says it dos Nothing to psd. There might be some difference on frictions and influence on retention but that is about it, but do be aware that is in commercial environment not home use. I had both coating and noticed no difference in either retention not heat. I simply don't think it matters in our use case, I certainly seen no proof of that.

thinkertinkering (original poster)

#8: Post by thinkertinkering (original poster) »

flyingtoaster wrote:I got uncoated because it's more like the Ditting burrs.

"more like" in what sense?

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by pizzaman383 »

My understanding was that SSP historically coated their "espresso" burrs in red speed and their "filter" burrs in silver night and users talked about the burrs using their coating as a shorthand name when posting.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

gobucks

#10: Post by gobucks »

I pulled the trigger on the lab sweets in silver knight coating, mostly because I think the red speeds just look a little weird on a cast burr. I'm excited to try them out. Did anyone in the US order their burrs from espressotool, and if so, how long did it take for them to ship?