SSP Lab Sweet 83mm - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#21: Post by Jonk »

Well that doesn't look good. Perhaps you put uneven torque on the screws? It would explain the taco pattern.
I think you also put the bottom burr on top and vice versa (might not matter much..)

Molina

#22: Post by Molina »

OP posted this:
The burr piece casted with "T" on teeth side (aka front), ink stamped "Rotary" on the smooth side (aka back)
- Has 13 sections (which is 1 more, as compared to 12 on the other piece)
- Weigh 170g (which is lighter, as compared to 173g on the other piece)
- Advised by SSP that this should be installed at the bottom (ie: SSP says Rotary ink stamp is the correct reference)

The burr piece casted with "B" on teeth side (aka front), ink stamped "Fixed" on the smooth side (aka back)
- Has 12 sections (which is 1 less, as compared to 13 on the other piece)
- Weigh 173g (which is heavier, as compared to 170g on the other piece)
- Advised by SSP that this should be installed at the top (ie: SSP says Fixed ink stamp is the correct reference)
And I think this aligns with the manual so I'm almost sure I've correctly installed them.

What exactly do you mean with the taco pattern?

mlunsford27

#23: Post by mlunsford27 »

I've been using the 83mm SSP Cast burrs in a DF83V2 since May/June timing. My DF83 is well aligned following shimming. I'm using mostly light to medium light coffees from Heart and Onyx

For Pourover, I find the cups I'm getting with the Nextlevel Pulsar dripper to be juicy and flavorful and the acidity to be nicely presented. I don't have a bunch of experience with other burrs to compare them too, although I did just get a Pietro with Pro Brew burrs so I plan to compare the two since the Pro Brew is more of a high grind uniformity / high clarity burr.

For espresso I have been able to pull pretty balanced shots of various styles (Allongé, blooming, turbo). Again, will look to compare with the Pietro as I use that more.

The consistency has been good after seasoning although I have had the same issue with zero drifting but not a ghost zero but the burr touch actually changing after a few shots and then resetting the next morning but this is more of an issue with the grinder not the burrs.

Jonk

#24: Post by Jonk »

Molina wrote:OP posted this:

And I think this aligns with the manual so I'm almost sure I've correctly installed them.

What exactly do you mean with the taco pattern?
Sorry, pretty confusing that they put B on the top burr and T on the bottom. At least Rotary / Fixed is clear.

The screws can clamp down the burrs to the extent that it's not flat anymore, but slightly taco shaped :wink:

mlunsford27

#25: Post by mlunsford27 »

mlunsford27 wrote:I've been using the 83mm SSP Cast burrs in a DF83V2 since May/June timing. My DF83 is well aligned following shimming. I'm using mostly light to medium light coffees from Heart and Onyx

For Pourover, I find the cups I'm getting with the Nextlevel Pulsar dripper to be juicy and flavorful and the acidity to be nicely presented. I don't have a bunch of experience with other burrs to compare them too, although I did just get a Pietro with Pro Brew burrs so I plan to compare the two since the Pro Brew is more of a high grind uniformity / high clarity burr.

For espresso I have been able to pull pretty balanced shots of various styles (Allongé, blooming, turbo). Again, will look to compare with the Pietro as I use that more.

The consistency has been good after seasoning although I have had the same issue with zero drifting but not a ghost zero but the burr touch actually changing after a few shots and then resetting the next morning but this is more of an issue with the grinder not the burrs.
One other piece of feedback that I forgot. I believe the burrs benefit from slow feeding. I have been slow feeding while grinding for Pourover and I believe it has improved the cups.

Molina

#26: Post by Molina »

Ah yes. The dreaded drifting zero point. I've read your posts about it and think it's super sad a €1000+ grinder has issues like this. I'm still figuring out if this is actually my issue or if it's due to retention or misalignment. Will try slow feeding more tomorrow and see what it does with the taste.

Lol @ taco shaped though. Jonks comment made a lot of sense and I did the alignment again with my drill on the lowest setting hoping to apply the same amount of torque to each screw. Was able to get more consistent results and probably got it around 80 - 90% aligned. Thanks for that! Hope it yields some results tomorrow.