SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 56

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#551: Post by Jonk »

Probably just a poor choice of words and something to do with the new geometry (for example more grooves = more surface).

LObin

#552: Post by LObin replying to Jonk »

That's my feeling as well. Might mean a longer grinding path.
LMWDP #592

ei8htohms

#553: Post by ei8htohms »

Had a little "gotta have it" freakout and placed an order for my Sculptor 64s. :D

Don't worry, I have a lathe.
LMWDP #751

Skeggis

#554: Post by Skeggis »

Upgraded from Eureka Specialita to the Df64 gen 2 and chose the Lab Sweet burrs in red speed coating. After about 1.5kg not really impressed and can't get to the quality coming out of the Specialita. Espresso is just a bit maaah, kinda muted and a bit dry. Pucks seem to break easier and the grinder makes less of a mess and almost no clumping, just the taste is not there. In hindsight should've maybe chosen the standard burrs as I drink mostly medium-dark roasts, but the juiciness and sweetness people rave about made me decide for the LBs. Should I keep pushing cheap coffee through them to break them in properly or just sell and get e.g. the Italmills instead?

malling

#555: Post by malling »

You need at least like 15kg through it

coffeeOnTheBrain

#556: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

If your preference or beans don't match the burrs you might want to switch indeed. When you say medium dark roast, there are many interpretations for that, but you will have an even harder time explaining your taste preferences. Trust your own judgement, sorry ;)

ei8htohms

#557: Post by ei8htohms »

You could try Prodigal's Seasoning Beans to get some volume through them at low cost.
LMWDP #751

SteveRhinehart

#558: Post by SteveRhinehart »

My Cv3 just arrived. Both burrs are the same inner and out diameters (64.1 mm by my not so precise measurement). The rotary burr has four elliptical cutouts per breaking tooth as the SSP post mentions, and V3 stamped on just this burr. I ordered silver knight but was sent red speed. In my experience this doesn't really matter as much as geometry but I was hoping for a more apples-to-apples comparison against my silver Cv2.

I_Am_King_Midas

#559: Post by I_Am_King_Midas replying to SteveRhinehart »

How does it compare with taste to the C2? How about compared to a burr like the Mizen Omni

SteveRhinehart

#560: Post by SteveRhinehart »

I have not done any comparative tasting yet. I'm working through a bunch of bag ends, but also like to give myself time to get familiar with burrs before I try doing any side by side.

I will say that they are more capable of espresso than Cv2 ever had been for me. I installed them into my Orbit, no alignment needed and about 50 microns from touch to lock, which is the the same distance I'd aim for with Cv2 or MP burrs. Using Regalia Las Perlitas from Nov 8, I pulled 18:50 in 25 seconds with a 7 bar peak (my Bianca being set to 7.5 bar max) at about 40 microns from touch. I tried the same coffee on Cv2 in my P64 and could not generate pressure beyond 4 bars, and the same shot ran in about 12 seconds instead. Touch to lock on Cv2 is 40 microns in the P64.

I pulled Mizen Omni out of the Orbit to install Cv3 so I don't have a reference there, but my overall experience with those burrs is that they're more workable for espresso than Cv2 and tend to be able to build pressure further from touch point. I would often pull at 70-100 microns from touch, perhaps 50 at the closest with very light coffees.