SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 55

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#541: Post by Jonk »

another_jim wrote:Fuji gets better as the grind gets coarser, with it truly shining at French press or cold brew coarseness.
That aligns with mine as well. I've used it with at least 6 on the dial.
Sculptor 064 works fine with a finer grind IME :wink: but it's a hybrid ghost burr.

About the test protocol, I realize it's more difficult, but wouldn't it make sense to actually brew the various methods? Even if it means it'll be less than perfect and perhaps limit the amount of methods / samples.

another_jim
Team HB

#542: Post by another_jim »

Jonk wrote:About the test protocol, I realize it's more difficult, but wouldn't it make sense to actually brew the various methods? Even if it means it'll be less than perfect and perhaps limit the amount of methods / samples.
I've grown frustrated by the sheer volume of grinder comparisons in YouTube land. Each is informative in itself, but they don't seem to add up to anyhting. So I'm focussing on repeatability and simplicity, at the expense of completeness. If everyone began their reviews like this, then did their usual specific investigations, I think the reviews might become more comparable and aggregable.

The work is in its early stages, and may go nowhere.
Jim Schulman

TimEggers

#543: Post by TimEggers »

I brew these days almost exclusively at a Press grind in my press and love that method, I am currently using a set of "OEM" Mazzer burrs which are probably 10-years old (very light use for about 7 years). A lot of the SSP reviews and discussions I see are espresso focused with pour over/filter secondary in the conversations.

As I get back into Specialty Coffee and seeing all the hype of the SSP burrs I can't help but want to scratch the upgrade itch. The caveat is that I don't necessarily dislike the press grind size brews I am getting now, in fact the coffee is pretty wonderful.

But I can't help but wonder what, if anything, I am missing out on. So much has changed while I was away, but it is so wonderful (and educationally humbling) to be back.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

Jonk

#544: Post by Jonk »

I use both versions more for pour over than espresso. It's neat about both sets that they're good at both things though. I do use a french press as well, but mostly with hand grinders at work. I think it's worthwhile to experiment and find out what grinder / burrset you like for press as well, probably more so if you start to grind finer like so:
The step from Mazzer burrs to SSP cast (LS) is less extreme, so it might be a wiser choice than MP if you enjoy the OEM burrs already. Or simply try something inexpensive like 1zpresso Q2 heptagonal.

TimEggers

#545: Post by TimEggers »

Jonk wrote:I use both versions more for pour over than espresso. It's neat about both sets that they're good at both things though. I do use a french press as well, but mostly with hand grinders at work. I think it's worthwhile to experiment and find out what grinder / burrset you like for press as well, probably more so if you start to grind finer like so:

video

The step from Mazzer burrs to SSP cast (LS) is less extreme, so it might be a wiser choice than MP if you enjoy the OEM burrs already. Or simply try something inexpensive like 1zpresso Q2 heptagonal.
Jim's press technique is fantastic, I've been using it for sometime. I'm really surprised though at how coarse the grind is in that video. I grind finer than that myself. From burr zero point on my SJ (right at #3 on the silver collar) I back off to #7 on said collar. If this was a clock face, for example, it's about "20 minutes" in the coarse direction. The resulting grind is roughly twice the size of granulated table sugar. I also like 0.07g of coffee to 1g of water.

I'm probably splitting hairs here for a diminishing return, especially since I don't dislike the OEM burrs persay. I truly hope to hear more about others experiences for brewing, but I'm leaning away from dropping the cash to test out if I might like a "small" improvement (change) in the resulting cup, it seems.

This rabbit hole is so deep...
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

malling

#546: Post by malling »

I would not expect call jumping from Mazzer burr to ssp diminishing returns for that jump in quality is rather noticeable especially at brewed.

Mazzer burrs deliver absolutely below par brew, but I acknowledge some like the old school impression these give.

But from there on then yes the gain is noticeable smaller.

However if just brewing I personally would not spend on a set of SSP burrs for 64mm unless I intended doing espresso with them, Instead I would get the Pietro or ZP6 instead as those imho deliver better results in the cup imho.

Jonk

#547: Post by Jonk »

TimEggers wrote:I'm really surprised though at how coarse the grind is in that video. I grind finer than that myself. From burr zero point on my SJ (right at #3 on the silver collar) I back off to #7 on said collar.
Yes, it looks coarser than what I use as well. I think it's probably because he might've been using the conical Wilfa Svart at the time. It has a wobbly ring burr and is finally falling out of fashion :lol:
I'd usually be at #6-7 if touch is at #3, same for pour over. The main point is that is doesn't look like coarse flakes of sea salt or cacao nibs (the more classic french press grind).

To expand on what I meant about less extreme.. It's not easy to communicate differences, but here's a decent try: 64mm SSP burr models. Any comparison table?

Old Mazzer SJ burrs should place further left than HU or from what I've heard perhaps Mazzer's new 233M, while the cast (LS) is probably near Mizen (OM). It'd be nice to have more burrs / grinders on that sliding scale, but in the end it's an oversimplification and it's good that they hint at this by adding another axis.

Jonk

#548: Post by Jonk »

Jonk wrote:Perhaps you can mix 'n match SSP and Lagom burrs eventually :lol:
Lo and behold, SSP is mix 'n matching the fixed V2 burr with a new rotary burr in V3: https://www.instagram.com/ssp_grinding/ ... 8RR2dh6RP/

Would be neat if they'd offer to buy just one or the other. Either for existing V2 (or maybe even V1) users wanting more espresso range, or new V3 buyers that would like the option to change it into V2 if they want to change focus to brew. Seems like a win-win (with more potential sales).

Mike0

#549: Post by Mike0 »

Depending on how tight some of the tolerance are on some grinders, they may have issues with the burr that is even a bit larger. I hope Hansung is able to test the v3 on several of these grinders.

malling

#550: Post by malling »

Yeah this also made me wonder, because there already some where it's already a snug fit... I would certainly check up first before ordering