SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 54

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
malling

#531: Post by malling »

The main difference on V1 and V2 was mainly the back where V1 was unfinished at the inner and V2 was machined on the finish I didn't really see much difference side by side, the distribution was better on V2 but probably mainly because I could not really align the V1 properly, so it was not really performing all that well because of the insufficient alignment.

It make sense he improve the espresso performance in V3 as the V2 seem to be near touch on many who has it.

I'm really considering selling my grinder with Cast as I honestly think my Pietro dos much better. Although it's a bit of a ***** to grind espresso with.

EvanOz85

#532: Post by EvanOz85 »

I'm assuming these will just add a sandblasting step to the end like the Mizen V2s? I'm no expert at machinery, but I'm assuming that's some sort of sandblasting device in the video.

Jaroslav

#533: Post by Jaroslav »

malling wrote:V1 was unfinished at the inner and V2 was machined on the finish
Sorry, but what exactly do you mean with this? How is the V2 machined on the finish and V1 unfinished? The only way to tell the two apart, at least the way I knew of, was described here. They seem to be finished the same way to me, that's why I'm asking.

I've the V2, and I'd say it has a rather large range for espresso, at least on my SJ V Pro it does. The range from 0 is about the same as with the stock 233M burrs.
Jaroslav

malling

#534: Post by malling »

Jaroslav wrote:Sorry, but what exactly do you mean with this? How is the V2 machined on the finish and V1 unfinished?

I've the V2, and I'd say it has a rather large range for espresso, at least on my SJ V Pro. The range from 0 is about the same as with the stock 233M burrs.
Back side of the burr, the original V1 was just cast on the back side, it wasn't machined on the inner part with the screw holes only on the outer ridge, V2 is machined on the inner part on the backside as well. The original meant it wobbled in certain grinders and was almost impossible to align it and get it to stay aligned.

That meant it was almost impossible to get anything consistent out of it, espresso was impossible. I don't think he did all that much on the cutting surface, not to begin with anyway.

Hansung always "improve" his burrs ever so little so depending on when you got the burr, can influence on its capabilities

Jaroslav

#535: Post by Jaroslav replying to malling »

Sorry, updated my post while you posted your reply. I see what you mean!

Got mine in May, I can't express how much I like this set. From the 64mm ones I've tried, this is my favorite (used for espresso exclusively so far). I understand that with SSP you can't really be certain about what you're getting, I was lucky enough to get a set that I'm extremely happy with.
Jaroslav

TimEggers

#536: Post by TimEggers »

I am considering getting SSP burrs for my Mazzer Super Jolly and I only brew, absolutely no espresso. Leaning towards the Cast burrs, curious if anyone has done any extensive brew only with any of the SSP burrs and what the cup was like?
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

another_jim
Team HB

#537: Post by another_jim »

My comparisons weren't extensive, but I did blind test a range of coffees. I'm fairly sure the cast burrs are indistinguishable from the Fuji ghost teeth ones.

As a side note, I have a friend who does both pourover and espresso, and whose preference is light to medium light roasts. He used the cast burrs, but has since switched to the Mazzer titanium burrs (t033), which he likes a little better. I'm not sure who else has tried these.
Jim Schulman

malling

#538: Post by malling »

TimEggers wrote:I am considering getting SSP burrs for my Mazzer Super Jolly and I only brew, absolutely no espresso. Leaning towards the Cast burrs, curious if anyone has done any extensive brew only with any of the SSP burrs and what the cup was like?
It's a perfectly capable burrset for brew and definitely better if you do any sort of cupping.

But 64mm is really not the sweetspot for brew burrs, you really need to venture into 80-98mm for that, but it's good enough to the not to demanding or perfection seeking audience

Jonk

#539: Post by Jonk »

another_jim wrote:I'm fairly sure the cast burrs are indistinguishable from the Fuji ghost teeth ones.
My SSP cast V1 are not similar to the Fuji Royal R220 I've got. I know the current Fuji burrs are better machined than my old ones though..
TimEggers wrote:Leaning towards the Cast burrs, curious if anyone has done any extensive brew only with any of the SSP burrs and what the cup was like?
I tend to prefer SSP unimodal V1 (now sold as "MPv1") most of the time. More "flavor separation" / "clarity" if you will, while the cast burrs can be fairly clear but tend to blend / integrate in a different way.

Which one I prefer varies depending on the beans though. And I get if some people don't like SSP MPv1's more tea-like profile that can both mute some characteristics while also focus on some bad ones. Not great for every bag of beans. Worst case you taste mostly defects, over the top fermenty notes or not much at all.

I have used a Timemore 064 for 5 weeks. If you can get those burrs separate, they're pretty good actually, speaking of ghost burrs. I think I prefer them over SSP cast. It makes sense to pick up the grinder too since it's a lot more convenient to use, no retention without any fuss.

another_jim
Team HB

#540: Post by another_jim »

Jonk wrote:My SSP cast V1 are not similar to the Fuji Royal R220 I've got. I know the current Fuji burrs are better machined than my old ones though.
I tested the V2s, using a fairly fine pour over grind.

I realized in subsequent testing of another grinder (the Lagom Mini) that the Fuji gets better as the grind gets coarser, with it truly shining at French press or cold brew coarseness. Now I'm trying to develop a new grinder testing protocol that is independent of particular brewing methods or equipment. Instead, I'm hoping to test the grinder against a reference grinder (or grinders) at different grind settings from Turkish to percolator, using simple cupping protocols. This will not be exact info for how suitable a grinder is for particular brewing methods; but it will tell you something about body and taste-noise versus flavor distinctness and presence, at various grind settings.

I'm hoping this will be a quick way of determining the general application range of the test grinder, and be something everyone can replicate easily
Jim Schulman