SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 51

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#501: Post by Jonk »

Still other factors at play than solely the burr gap in µm. I'm using 60-150µm on the Mazzer with V1 depending on dose and roast level. For light roasts I'd need to grind finer for a traditional style shot, but don't like the results doing so.

Icemax33

#502: Post by Icemax33 »

Hi Jim,

I've read extensively on HB forums, but finally joined to ask a question related to your post on the 64mm SSP burrs. In terms of flavor separation/clarity where do the SSP cast burrs land in comparison to the stock italmills and SSP HU burrs? I drink straight espresso from light to medium roasts but make lattes for my wife with medium-dark roasts. I've adjusted my extraction time, ratio, temperature, pressure, dose, grind, and basically everything I can think of to try to get more flavors in my cup from my DF64E with the stock italmills. I've even roasted some decaf just so I can pull and taste loads of different shots in sequence to try to get the best out of my setup. No matter what I have tried, there seems to be an earthiness to the shots that overpowers any other flavors that might be there. I've tried not bellowing at the end to avoid the fines that come out and I get shots that are different, but the other flavors still don't pop. I would appreciate any insight you can offer me to get more clarity without sacrificing too much body (I don't want the SSP MP burrs due to my wife's lattes).

Icemax33

#503: Post by Icemax33 »

Your post is really pushing me towards buying the LS burrs. Do you find the LS burrs provide more clarity and flavor separation compared to the stock italmills? I'm happy to hear you've been pleased with darker roasts too as I use darker roasts for my wife's lattes every morning while generally drinking light-medium espresso roast myself everyday. I only drink espresso as I have the DF64E. Do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade?

just4kickz

#504: Post by just4kickz »

I've had the LS in my df64 for about a week now, and had been using the stock burrs for about a year prior. I bought it used with about 3.5kg of beans run through so far. I make a flat white in the morning with medium/dark roast beans and straight espresso with medium/light roast beans the rest of the day. From what I've noticed so far is that shots are super smooth. Even shots that I haven't dialed in yet have very little harshness. Dialed in shots are incredibly smooth and have no harshness at all. For medium/dark roasts, shots still have quite a bit of body and do well with milk drinks. I'm still getting those chocolate notes, but with less bitterness. I actually somewhat enjoyed the slight bitterness with milk drinks, but the LS burrs have minimized that. I've only had one medium-light bean so far; one that I have used with the stock burrs before. The difference in clarity is definitely noticeable. It still had good body too, and that was with a paper filter as well. So far, I am really liking the LS burrs. I find them well worth the upgrade. I'll report back in another week or two after trying different beans.

malling

#505: Post by malling »

Icemax33 wrote:Your post is really pushing me towards buying the LS burrs. Do you find the LS burrs provide more clarity and flavor separation compared to the stock italmills? I'm happy to hear you've been pleased with darker roasts too as I use darker roasts for my wife's lattes every morning while generally drinking light-medium espresso roast myself everyday. I only drink espresso as I have the DF64E. Do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade?

Yes it has more clarity, better flavour separation then Italmill, and still regain some of the mouthfeel/texture.

But you will always given up some texture to gain clarity and flavour separation, however the cast strike a good balance and won't either make the cup fragile and delicate in texture as MP or blend and make the flavour more generic as Italmill/Mazzer/SSP HU. It regains plenty of the thicker, creamier fuller texture from traditional espresso burrs but without sacrificing the flavour and aroma, On top it is also an excellent brew burr.

It also work for darker without adding to much bitterness so I fine that I actually can drink darker with these then I normally is able to with other burrs.

You can also do light roasted milk based with them, but honestly it dos require a bit more of the machine.

Icemax33

#506: Post by Icemax33 »

Thanks, it sounds like the LS is exactly the balance I am looking for, plus I am switching to a flare 58 from a semi-auto so this should give me more flexibility to pull what I want out of my beans.

Unfortunately while aligning my burrs the screw for the burr carrier on my DF64e partially stripped or something and now my burr carrier will not get totally tight on one side which throws off my alignment. I don't trust this design now and may swap for a df83 which uses a wave washer or the original df64. Until then I'm going back to hand grinding with jx pro.

just4kickz

#507: Post by just4kickz replying to Icemax33 »

Try ScrewGrab for the screw. It worked quite well on my df64 when it was partially stripped and I couldn't get enough traction to loosen it.

Icemax33

#508: Post by Icemax33 »

Luckily I was still within my 30-day window so espresso outlet accepted my return of the DF-64e! I was okay with the idea of modding the declumper if necessary and small quality of life/workflow issues with the DF, but having a screw partially strip so early really turned me off. As a side note, I build things for a living and there's hardly a day in my life that goes by without me installing screws somewhere so I wasn't going ape on it (I was using the included hex wrench), but you need to tighten the screws somewhat tight in order for the top burr carrier to be seated properly otherwise, you'll never be able to align it well. If you look down inside the screw holes you can see towards the inside of the grinder the screw holes are cut out (so they are more like a c then a circle). I'm sure there's a reason they cut the screw holes, but I'm not sure why.

bobR

#509: Post by bobR »

malling wrote: Yes it has more clarity, better flavour separation then Italmill, and still regain some of the mouthfeel/texture.

But you will always given up some texture to gain clarity and flavour separation, however the cast strike a good balance and won't either make the cup fragile and delicate in texture as MP or blend and make the flavour more generic as Italmill/Mazzer/SSP HU. It regains plenty of the thicker, creamier fuller texture from traditional espresso burrs but without sacrificing the flavour and aroma, On top it is also an excellent brew burr.

It also work for darker without adding to much bitterness so I fine that I actually can drink darker with these then I normally is able to with other burrs.

You can also do light roasted milk based with them, but honestly it dos require a bit more of the machine.
I have a new grinder coming with SSP MP burrs installed. I do exclusively pour overs. I also have a set of new SSP cast V2 burrs. I'm having an internal debate which to use!! Since it comes down to personal preference, there is no real answer. I use a Comandante C40 now. The cast burrs will likely give me a cup somewhere between the C40 and the SSP MP burrs in regards to clarity and body. Easiest thing is to leave MPs in and use for a few months. If super happy, leave them in. If not (too thin, to acidic, etc.), switch to cast and see what I get.

plyske

#510: Post by plyske »

Can someone please approve that these are the V2 SSP Lab Sweet Cast Burrs: https://cmsale.com/products/grinders/ss ... weet-burrs ? :-)