SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 50

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Fraussie

#491: Post by Fraussie »

Are his burrs seasoned? What kind of roast are we talking about?

iyayy

#492: Post by iyayy »

CV was mostly at 1-4 on vst15 overfilled to 16-17g. df64.
now with stock clump crusher it was easily 8-12.. lots of regrinding in there.. not consistent shot to shot and flowrate.. altho the burrs is easily better than stock, even without mod it shows lots of benefit.
med to light for me, and very few sometimes dark.

mp is easier for espresso, but it also speeds up in flow at later shot, maybe not as fast as cv.. 7-11 mostly i guess

Advertisement
Word_salad

#493: Post by Word_salad »

Been using the Lab Sweet on my DF64 for espresso about a month now so I figure I'll give my thoughts. I originally has the SSP MP on the DF64 so I can compare the LS to those. I am pulling on a Strietman which imo is one of the easiest and most forgiving machines to make great espresso.

Overall impression is these are really nice burrs and pretty exceptional for all roast levels. I have pulled shots of very light Kenyan and Ethiopian roasts and shots of darker espresso specific blends with very good results. I never used to like dark roast before now but I am getting some really enjoyable shots. I think the SSP MPs are probably a little nicer for those really light filter roasts, you do get a cleaner crisper cup with some really pronounced flavor notes, but I was honestly starting to miss the body in my shots. The LS still excels at filter roasts for espresso, but the flavor profile is not quite as in your face. The body and added sweetness is a nice addition. Also the LS are so much quieter than the MPs in DF64, I was legit worried about hearing damage with the MPs.

These are maybe a little tougher to dial in than the MPs but not by much (with the caveat that with the Streitman it's almost impossible to pull a sink shot). I am grinding the lighter roasts at setting ~15 and the darker roast around 20-25.

LObin

#494: Post by LObin replying to Word_salad »

Good stuff!

So no problem grinding fine enough for lower doses like 14-15g then?

What about seasoning? How long did it take you? Many have reported quite a drastic difference in taste pre and post seasoning.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

Word_salad

#495: Post by Word_salad »

LObin wrote: Good stuff!

So no problem grinding fine enough for lower doses like 14-15g then?

What about seasoning? How long did it take you? Many have reported quite a drastic difference in taste pre and post seasoning.

Cheers!
No issue with lower doses (I do 14-15g in the 18g IMS basket), though it is pretty close to touch. I hear burr chirp at about setting 5, so with light roast I'm about 10 steps from touch. I did the marker test so as far as I'm aware the burrs are aligned.

As far as seasoning goes I ran about 2kg of cheap beans through when I first installed them. I think the burrs have been steadily improving as I grind more coffee, but it's hard to separate that from my shots improving due to just me understanding the burrs and coffees better. I'm probably still under 5kg total through and the shots have all been enjoyable. I'll be interested to see how things change when I hit the 10kg mark, but as far as I'm concerned there's no need to grind more coffee just to season.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#496: Post by buckersss »

Jonk wrote:In my case I have needed roughly 100-130µm burr gap on the Mazzer Mini E (no anti-static screen but a short horizontal chute) for normale espresso with unimodal v1. I dialed these LS v1 to 150µm for the medium roast used. 1:2 shot with long pre-infusion, so there are plenty of settings left to choke the Robot.

In the Ode the burr gap has been more like 50-75µm with those same unimodal v1 burrs, but I'm fairly certain the alignment isn't all there.. Either way, I've never had any issues grinding fine enough. Both grinders run at 1400RPM so that could be part of the reason.

How do you measure the gap between your burrs on your Mazzer?

Also, what made you decide to purchase V1 instead of V2?

Jonk

#497: Post by Jonk »

buckersss wrote:How do you measure the gap between your burrs on your Mazzer?
I haven't measured myself, but read on this forum that it's supposed to be 15µm per notch - so I just multiply notches from touch by 15.
buckersss wrote:Also, what made you decide to purchase V1 instead of V2?
I was able to buy V1 for a lower price.
Jonk wrote:It'll be interesting to see how the results change after breaking in, but so far I can pretty much use the same grind setting as with the original unimodal v1 burrs.
To amend myself: for lighter roasts I have needed a somewhat finer setting than with unimodal v1. For underdosing or extremely light roasts I'd have to grind just off touch to produce a 1:2 shot, but it doesn't taste good so I'd rather updose or pull a long/fast shot (even allongé). The practical limit for me has been ~60-75µm in the Mazzer Mini. I guess V2 would be more flexible.
Word_salad wrote:I never used to like dark roast before now but I am getting some really enjoyable shots.
This has been my experience as well. In fact I prefer medium to dark beans for espresso using the cast burrs. For very light roasts the unimodal burrs have produced more espresso-like shots with some bitterness like cacao powder, while the cast burrs produce something very similar to pour over just more concentrated.

Advertisement
plyske

#498: Post by plyske »

Hello everyone!

I am about to pull the trigger on the LS burrs. However I am a bit unsure if these are the new ones: https://www.homebarista.be/shop/product ... sweet-64mm - can someone enlighten me?

Also I've found this website: http://www.espressotool.com/786402328/?idx=3 - anyone with experience in shipping to Denmark from them?

I see that the Silver Knight coated version is sold out. Should I wait for them to get back in stock or would it be just as good with the Red coated?

Thanks in advance!

Pflunz

#499: Post by Pflunz »

When reading the thread, it seems that a lot of you guys use the burrs for espresso.
Can someone maybe tell me how far from the touching point you are for espresso? I got some medium-dark beans and I am grinding around 30-40micron away from the touching point. Is this typical or should I check alignment (right now I actually do not have a board marker pen)?
It would be nice if you could tell me the distance in micrometer as I don't know how to transfer other units (clicks or points) in my distance.

edit: I got version 2

Word_salad

#500: Post by Word_salad »

Well I've read that the DF64 has about 12.5 microns between numbers, and I'm grinding 10 numbers from touch for light roast and about 17 for darker. So I guess I'm 120 to 200 microns. I'm also pulling lower pressure shots, maybe 6 bars but I don't really know for sure.