SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 48

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
iyayy

#471: Post by iyayy »

cactus_farmer wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply. For clarification, when you say '1zk' do you means the 1zpresso K Plus hand grinder?
mine is actually kpro, but same k-burr. kplus comes with different catchcup.

another_jim
Team HB

#472: Post by another_jim »

I did a review of the three SSP 64mm burrs that seems to have gone unnoticed. I have not had time to follow the threads about the MP and cast burrs, so there may be redundancies in tthe review. But it is short, and I hope, worth the read. There is a companion thread for comments. A few other moderators may add their reviews as well
Jim Schulman
★ Helpful

Advertisement
Primacog

#473: Post by Primacog »

cactus_farmer wrote:Do flat burrs like the SSP lab sweet that promise a heavier body and more texture than more unimodal burrs like the SSP Multipurpose also have a heavier body and more texture in comparison to conical burr grinders like the Niche Zero? Or only relative to unimodal style flat burrs?
I have two df64 grinders that have ssp unimodal and ssp lab sweet burrs respectively. I also have compak k10 conical. I agree that though the ssp lab sweet has more body and mouthfeel than the unimodal, in these qualities it cannot match the conical performance. On the other hand the lab sweet burrs go a long way towards the extreme clarity of the unimodal and has far more of this quality than the conical.
LMWDP #729

Word_salad

#474: Post by Word_salad »

I have a set of MP burrs on my DF64. I like the clarity but I'm interested in trying out the Lab Sweet burrs for espresso, maybe get some more sweetness and body. I was thinking of moving the MP burrs to my Ode. Does anyone have experience with MP vs Lab Sweet burrs for brew and espresso? If you had both burr sets and were to use one for espresso and one for filter which would you use?

iyayy

#475: Post by iyayy replying to Word_salad »

i think its preferential.
assumming you have compared taste with other grinders, i find these traits very defining on either method.

LS will be very (extremely?) juicy and mouthfilling, very noticeable in brew. its more similar to 'standard taste' but refined. and possibly more aroma.
LS also have a different way of presenting bitterness.. it almost doesnt, even on overextraction, but gives dry throat feeling instead. grind setting is usually 1-4 espresso, and 55~65 brew. puck tends to break easier than mp if not well prepped.

easier if you keep stock declumper, then u'll be around 6~8+.. but i dont like how its not really consistent. i wasnt able to dial back to back very accurately with the stock declumper. shots still taste good however.

MP is unique in how acids turns into lemon and citrus.
i didnt quite find this character in LS, and this is likely the defining haracter that makes people stick to it. MP does go slightly more bitter than LS when overbrewed, and will always look or feel quite diluted, despite intense flavor. grind setting 8-12 espresso, 70-80 brew.

MP for everything for me.

chamchi

#476: Post by chamchi »

Wow you can grind incredibly fine for espresso!
Could you please elaborate on your espresso and brew recipes? So helpful and interesting to see
I was grinding much finer for brew because i could just keep going finer and finer without really hitting lots of bitterness, but i felt i was missing out on flavour character and clarity. Excited to try 55-65 tonight and work my way to 1-4 for espresso.

iyayy

#477: Post by iyayy replying to chamchi »

one thing coming to ssp is shots still flows faster, even when going 1:2, it will start slow and increases speed, eventually ends faster. LS seems to accelerate faster than MP.
i updose as much as possible to have stronger puck, but i recently found out thin puck is still doable with meticulous wdt, level and tamp.

for brew in particular i use 16-20g, reduced my v60 ratio from 1:15 down to 1:11~12, and slightly lower temp. it helps a lot especially to get thicker brew with MP, and then i'll dilute it a bit to about 1:14 if its too intense.
bypass helps separate the flavor further and avoids the last (usually somewhat bitter) portion of the brew that may taint the flavor. of course sometimes i enjoy thicker brew so this isnt really needed.
i usually only make a ~220ml cup.
apparently mr testsu kasuya also do bypass, i.e adding water after brewing. (its in one of his youtube channel)

here's a MP 10g puck, vst15. 9bar 22s shot, 1:1.7ratio. at this settings i find 1:2 a bit more muddy and less sweet, so i cut it shorter. the fine grind for low dose follows basket pattern, with even colors showing no sign of obvious channeling.

Advertisement
Madman13

#478: Post by Madman13 »

another_jim wrote:I did a review of the three SSP 64mm burrs that seems to have gone unnoticed. I have not had time to follow the threads about the MP and cast burrs, so there may be redundancies in tthe review. But it is short, and I hope, worth the read. There is a companion thread for comments. A few other moderators may add their reviews as well
Thanks for the review. I can see you spent a lot if time on it and it is appreciated!

p4lxrich

#479: Post by p4lxrich »

Is there a lab sweet burr but red speed ? I saw sworksdesign post one. Never heard of it. And how is that diff taste notes wise?

Jonk

#480: Post by Jonk »

The "refurb" 64mm SSP CV burr, with some casting defects, has red speed coating. There's not meant to be any noticeable difference in taste.

Edit: saw the post on Instagram now, looked like grade 1 burrs without any defects - perhaps a special request?