SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 46

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jeff
Team HB

#451: Post by Jeff »

Right now, you're stuck with Prima for buying a new P64 in the US.

See, for example, Tired of waiting for a Lagom...

Prima does have a good price on the 64 CV2 burrs. Installing burrs should be relatively easy. A torque screwdriver is recommended, but not essential. The P64 should require minimal alignment with the V2 burrs.

Jesscccc

#452: Post by Jesscccc »

CM00 wrote:I opened my DF64 today after the first 3kg(+\-) ran through the LS burrs. Quite messy inside I'd say, surprised to see a lot of retention on the surface of the burrs.
Also, besides more overall static, I noticed a lot of fine particles on the outer edge of the upper burr, building up slowly outside the O-ring. I switched back to HU and after 6 shots I took a look inside again and it was super clean, only the fine ring on the walls of the grinding chamber.
I have the printed chute without declumper ( big shoutout to our colleague GDM) and the difference was clear to me - LS is more messy than HU in the DF64 and I think I need a new grinder for the LS, something with tight tolerances and less maintenance needed. I hope I will not give in to the chinese market again, Lagom seems too complicated to procure in the EU.
I also observed similar problem as you did. I also seasoned the LS burr in DF64 for around 3kg beans, and I opened it up and used vacuum cleaner to suck all the fines out on burrs before using my espresso bean. At this stage I already saw a lot of fines around the upper burr's outter o-ring, and lower burr's inner o-ring.
After several dose of espresso, there is already noticeable fines remained around the space of lower burr when taking out the bellows.
I don't know if the fines issue affects the quality of espresso a lot as it does on pour-over yet.

asamimasa

#453: Post by asamimasa »

My experience has been pretty different, I just opened it up today after two months of use for about a cup a day and was pleased with how little mess there was inside. DF64 w/ Cast V1

CM00

#454: Post by CM00 »

:shock: wow! That is impecable! What declumper are you using?

Bue

#455: Post by Bue »

Does anyone know what difference is between 64mm SSP <Cast version, Red> and 64mm SSP <Cast version, Silver>

ltanzil

#456: Post by ltanzil »

i recently removed the declumper all together and i got lot less retention in the burr chamber. but more on the chute. i think i have to modify the chute

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#457: Post by buckersss »

asamimasa wrote:My experience has been pretty different, I just opened it up today after two months of use for about a cup a day and was pleased with how little mess there was inside. DF64 w/ Cast V1
Are you grinding for pour over? Id expect there to be much less residual in the grinder when compared to grinding for espresso.

SteveRhinehart

#458: Post by SteveRhinehart »

Bue wrote:Does anyone know what difference is between 64mm SSP <Cast version, Red> and 64mm SSP <Cast version, Silver>
Just the coating: Red Speed vs Silver Knight. Same cutting pattern and same results in the cup.

SebastianGB

#459: Post by SebastianGB »

Hey everyone, super interesting thread!

I have a P64 on the way and I'm thinking of getting the LS V2 for it instead of the MPs it will ship with. I have tried the MPs for espresso and enjoyed the clarity, but I would prefer more perceived sweetness and a smoother acidity presentation, while still having a fair amount of clarity. It will mainly be used for espresso, but would love to use it for filter coffee every once in a while. (I have a C40 for daily filter coffee brewing)

So my question is - what has been your experience thus far using the LS V2 for espresso? Have your problems with bitterness been resolved after doing a high volume seasoning? And are you still grinding very close to burr touch?

And what kind of espresso recipe will you typically use for lighter roasts? Turbo 1:3s or more like long preinfusion 1:2s?

Jimjam168
Supporter ♡

#460: Post by Jimjam168 »

Sebastian-
I ran my SSP HU burrs for about a year through my P64 and found found the acidity slightly more unpleasant than the clarity was worth. They needed a ton more seasoning in my experience than I thought and did get much better the second half of the year, but still was curious about the Lab Sweet.

I recently made the switch and the rounder, slightly sweeter style is much more to my liking. The biggest benefit for me by far, though, is that the burrs have been much easier to dial in and more forgiving. Even shots that weren't fully dialed have been pretty solid. WIth the HU, any shots that missed that mark would be hard to enjoy at all. I'm quite glad I switched over for my particular taste and routine.

I've run more than 10kg's now, started noticing diminished bitterness after around 7kg, and even then it wasn't too bad. I typically drink medium to medium-light roasts in the 1:1.5-1:2.5 range around 24-40 sec has been great. I have a Linea Mini at 9 bar and no mods, I'm excited to experiment with some lighter beans to see if the larger sweet spot caries over to the lighter side. I also used the burrs for filter as I was seasoning and had some really high quality brews through a Chemex.
James