SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 44

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
gobucks

#431: Post by gobucks »

Thanks, that's helpful. My main concern is not actually whether it can grind fine enough, it's more that I've heard mixed opinions on whether the espresso is any good. It's being marketed as a brew burr, but obv that doesn't mean it can't do good espresso. Do you like the results? I currently have a Niche, and I would like something with a bit more clarity, but I don't know that I want to go full clarity monster with the MP, so I was thinking the lab sweets could be a good middle ground, and a big improvement for filter. HU are also an option, but apparently the filter performance is lacking.

dsc106

#432: Post by dsc106 »

HU might be a good fit for you for espresso for a bit more clarity, but not as big a step to MP. I'd encourage separate grinders/burrs for drip and espresso in general for ease, but especially if your preferences aren't aligned.

Advertisement
ltanzil

#433: Post by ltanzil »

gobucks wrote:Thanks, that's helpful. My main concern is not actually whether it can grind fine enough, it's more that I've heard mixed opinions on whether the espresso is any good. It's being marketed as a brew burr, but obv that doesn't mean it can't do good espresso. Do you like the results? I currently have a Niche, and I would like something with a bit more clarity, but I don't know that I want to go full clarity monster with the MP, so I was thinking the lab sweets could be a good middle ground, and a big improvement for filter. HU are also an option, but apparently the filter performance is lacking.
i have been using lab sweet burr exclusively for espresso in df64. i have no issue with how fine it can grind. it can grind fine enough to choke my machine if i wanted it to.

Fraussie

#434: Post by Fraussie replying to ltanzil »

If I may ask, what's your machine and what basket are you using?

ltanzil

#435: Post by ltanzil replying to Fraussie »

r

I am using gaggia classic pro with 9 bar spring mod, IMS shower screen and VST basket.
in my experience what i can say is lab sweet is as described by it's name. it is resulting a sweeter espresso compared to original italmill burr in the df64
i can play around with the clarity by playing with grinder rpm. arround 700 is my favorite. the lower the rpm the fruitier the espresso and bit more acidic.

DownTheRabbitHole (original poster)

#436: Post by DownTheRabbitHole (original poster) »

What are you using to control the RPM on your DF64? That sounds like a cool additional feature to add to mine

ltanzil

#437: Post by ltanzil replying to DownTheRabbitHole »

i use second hand panasonic VF0 VFD.

there is thread created for that if you want to know further
Controlling the RPM of a DF64 with a VFD

but one thing i hate about ls burr is it left tons of ground retention in the burr chamber.
any body has the same experiences? after cleaning it will retain almost a gram of coffee. only the second or third grind is less than 0.3 grams.

the original burr does not do that.

Advertisement
Jesscccc

#438: Post by Jesscccc »

I got my df64 ungraded with lab sweet casting burr with a guy and helped me to re-set the zero for me. This is my first electric grinder and therefore things are all new to me.
He suggested to do espresso on 18 and pour-over on 50-65.
My espresso machine (flair pro 2) choked at even 20 lol, I pulled so hard that the bar has up to 10 bar to get a decent flow. But the taste is ok. The only complain is like it isn't zero retention at all even with mods on clump crusher and and so on. It takes up like 0.2g or more on espresso setting, and when I turned to pour-over setting on 60, the previous 0.2g was pushed out.
Will seasoning help this problem? I am buying 1kg cheap medium to dark roasted coffee bean on the way, is there any suggestion on how to seasoning the burr?

ltanzil

#439: Post by ltanzil »

Jesscccc wrote: My espresso machine (flair pro 2) choked at even 20 lol, I pulled so hard that the bar has up to 10 bar to get a decent flow. But the taste is ok. The only complain is like it isn't zero retention at all even with mods on clump crusher and and so on. It takes up like 0.2g or more on espresso setting, and when I turned to pour-over setting on 60, the previous 0.2g was pushed out.
Will seasoning help this problem? I am buying 1kg cheap medium to dark roasted coffee bean on the way, is there any suggestion on how to seasoning the burr?
assuming like my df64 where it has been zero such that when the dial indicator point to zero; the burr touch. getting good flow at 20 is quite normal. different bean can produce wildly different flow. i have bean that flow good at 20, i have bean that has to be put at 5 in order to get a good flow.

so experiment with different kind of roast level. generally in my experience light roast need small number, dark roast need bigger number.

i don't think 1 kg is enough for proper seasoning. Hansung lee told me that ls burr need 2-3 kg for seasoning.
set the grind setting to pour over setting and run those bean through. but be careful running that much bean through will warmed up the grinder.
if you feel the body of the grinder is warm, stop! let it cool down. we dont want to burn the coil or other things. there is an air gap between the motor and the body. the inside temp could be way higher than the body

DownTheRabbitHole (original poster)

#440: Post by DownTheRabbitHole (original poster) »

Thanks!

I've also noticed higher retention with the LS. About .2g regularly and then about 1g after cleaning and more than .2g for a subsequent few more batches