SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 42

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Primacog

#411: Post by Primacog »

Thanks for your reply. No I haven't replaced the stock declumper. Its a brand new df64 though and i heard they improved the stock declumper so i did not look to modify it. I also have another quite new df64 with ssp unimodals that produced coffee grinds that I really like the taste of and which also has the stock declumper. Do you believe thta the ssp cast steel burrs produce a lot more fines than the unimodal burrs? If this is happening, why do some report that after grinding a lot of coffee beans through their cast steel burrs, the bitterness disappears?
LMWDP #729

ltanzil

#412: Post by ltanzil »

Primacog wrote:Thanks for your reply. No I haven't replaced the stock declumper. Its a brand new df64 though and i heard they improved the stock declumper so i did not look to modify it. I also have another quite new df64 with ssp unimodals that produced coffee grinds that I really like the taste of and which also has the stock declumper. Do you believe thta the ssp cast steel burrs produce a lot more fines than the unimodal burrs? If this is happening, why do some report that after grinding a lot of coffee beans through their cast steel burrs, the bitterness disappears?
it is possible due to the different geometry, i have replace the declumper before i use the LS. i didn't notice the bitter after taste even with the un seasoned burr. but the sweetness is day and night compared to the stock itamill burr.
fineline wrote:I have blind cupped before, with P64 rpm 7 and 2.

The 7 was not bright, but was good, with an enhanced sweetness.
The 2 was clear, but not sweet, and unpleasant tastes were noticeable in their place.
This result was not what I expected.

The uniquely shaped cast Burr may tend to be different from other SSP Burrs.
With so few specimens, we encourage you to give them a try too.

wow this is interesting, lower speed does not always equal to better. i suspect that to. some how i like 700rpm better than 600rpm.

i will try playing some more. thank you fineline for the info. i will post my experience once i explore further about LS and rpm.

Advertisement
CM00

#413: Post by CM00 »

I am also in the seasoning phase of the Cast burrs, so far nothing really impressive. Coming after the SSP HU for more than one year, I could feel the loss in clarity but the increase in overall sweetness. Can't hit any special note or flavor so far, just getting a mellow-ish espresso. I didn't notice any bitterness but I use the improved DF64 chute without declumper.
Now the question for the more advanced users of these burrs is - how long until you noticed a change in the cup? Should I check again the alignment? Can that influence the result so significantly?
Also, any changes in your recipe / extraction times?

Cheers!
CM

malling

#414: Post by malling replying to CM00 »

Some have gotten away with 10kg others needed like 15-20kg :lol:

It won't start performing before it's well seasoned a general issue with cast, it needs to be well seasoned before making judgments... but if one is more into high clarity abruptly transitions of high clarity burrs I'm afraid cast burrs will never be down those peoples alley.

GDK

#415: Post by GDK »

For those on the fence, you might find this informative:

Blnd Test + 64mm SSP Burrs

iyayy

#416: Post by iyayy »

im on the opinion that these crushing burrs on the cv needs slight deburring and smoothening, hence the need for long break in.
once done there will be less fines and more even grind particles, hence better cups without the bitter aftertaste.

perhaps anyone who tested before and after break in can comment. i didnt do the 2kg coffee dumps, but i did do inital taste comparison, and the bitterness was obvious back then.

malling

#417: Post by malling »

Yes you have a bitterness at higher extraction until the burrs settled in, the flavour also improves as the burrs get more and more seasoned, the burrs aren't performing well under 2kg seasoning, after 2kg it's starts getting better as it season... The report says past 15-20kg it delivers amazing results... but that's a lot of coffee and bit of waste.

Advertisement
Primacog

#418: Post by Primacog »

I have so far put less than 250g through the cast burrs and the bitter aftertaste has mostly faded away. The difference with my conical grinder is not as stark as with the ssp unimodal burrs but I am liking the cast burrs more than my conicals for lighter roasts so far. I suspect it is still going to change quite a lot more before it settles down fully.
LMWDP #729

Fraussie

#419: Post by Fraussie »

I've put a good 5kg though my burrs and realigned them a few weeks ago. For me the main frustration is not being able to grind fine enough. I'm literally at burrs touching and can barely reach 25s on an 18g 1:2 shot with Squaremile's Inza beans. Don't know what to do anymore...

boringegg

#420: Post by boringegg »

rurika wrote:Hmm. I have DF64v2 with lab sweet silver knight. Bought it pre-alignmented from espressooutlet last week. I can choke my machine if I dial DF64v2 less than 12 for light roasts. My dial is 13~14 for light roasts. 16~17 for medium roasts. Try dark roasts today and it still choke my machine at 23 (took about 2-3 minutes for 20g in 40g out)

The machine is Lelit Bianca v2 with stock portafilter (made by IMS).
I've just received my DF64v2 last week and installed the cast burr myself. My DF64 did not have the new metal dial indicator but it does seem to have a different burr carrier (top and bottom) design. It comes with a clear o-rings around the ID of the burr. I assume it's the v2 not the v3? I took some pictures and I can post them if someone wants to see them :)
However, it seems the SSP burr has a different height around the ID. The original o-ring leaves a slight gap between the fixed/rotary burr with its carrier. I've seen some photos where grind gets trapped inside the fixed burr carrier.
I ended up order #128 o-ring off amazon and replaces the factory o-rings on both fixed and rotary burr carrier. Technically the fixed burr carrier should use a #129 o-ring, but you could easily fit the same #128 o-ring with a slight stretch.
I've also replaced big o-ring around the fixed burr carrier as i found it does not seal the grind chamber fully. I replaced it with #147 o-ring and it fits around the chamber nicely and still move freely during adjustment.
I went ahead and aligned my burr, my zero point is a little bit pass 3 o'clock position on the adjustment ring. Went through a kg of cheap walmart beans and i made a shot with my usual medium-roast bean at grind setting 10. Anything lower would most likely to chock my Lelit MaraXv2 with stock IMS basket.