SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 40

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
soheadyithurts

#391: Post by soheadyithurts »

I am getting some amazing shots with these burrs in the Lagom P64 using a Londinum R24 with B&W the Natural beans. The closest thing I think about is pureed raspberries. The burrs have seen maybe 2lb of beans so far.

Looking forward to seeing how a light roast goes but in no rush with how the Natural's tasting.

naz1511

#392: Post by naz1511 replying to soheadyithurts »

Did you play around with the RPM and find any noticable / meaningful differences in the cup?

soheadyithurts

#393: Post by soheadyithurts »

I'm right at 4 on the P64 and haven't tweaked the RPM. I'll try going lower tomorrow.

DavC

#394: Post by DavC »

DavC wrote:I've been using the sweet labs for 3 weeks now. Roughly dialing in 18g/40 out around 27-30sec. But seems to be getting an unpleasant bitterness aftertaste. Anyone expercing the same?
Just wanted to updated you guys. I've now gone through about 4lb, and the bitterness has been gone. Things are tasting a lot better!

old_bear

#395: Post by old_bear »

I am currently choosing equipment, targeting the whole range from very very dark to light for espresso, and there are, indeed, mixed signals. Struggling to summarise the experiences in this thread.

Even for V2, some people grind at "10" at DF64 (>100 micron?), others report 1-1.5.
Could there be some sample variance, just blunt manufacturing issue?..
Is there a good theory on possible consensus here?

tomy2

#396: Post by tomy2 »

Trying to understand the version 1 and 2 of these burrs. Are the Lab Sweet burr sets that Espresso Outlet sells the latest version?

Where do you get the version 2's from? These will be for my DF64 for strictly espresso.

Answer just came. Didn't think Espresso Outlet would respond so fast over the weekend but they notified me they only sell the version 2.

zumicroom

#397: Post by zumicroom »

just to add another data point, i bought a refurb (v2) set back in april and also have to grind basically at touch with light roasts and even then i can't manage a shot longer than ~18 seconds. I know my alignment is good and have no issues whatsoever with my set of SSP multipurpose burrs.

malling

#398: Post by malling »

old_bear wrote:I am currently choosing equipment, targeting the whole range from very very dark to light for espresso, and there are, indeed, mixed signals. Struggling to summarise the experiences in this thread.

Even for V2, some people grind at "10" at DF64 (>100 micron?), others report 1-1.5.
Could there be some sample variance, just blunt manufacturing issue?..
Is there a good theory on possible consensus here?
People are brewing with different machines, baskets and coffee, if I brew with Nero Scuro, La Cabra, Gardelli and other light filter roasters etc. with VST it's as close at touch point I can go, if I on the other hand brew espresso styled medium light roast with stock IMS style basket it's noticeable away from touch point.

If I brew straight to 6-7 bar and try keep it there the grind setting is different compared to pre infused lets say 2-3bar then slow ramp up and then tail off, turbo shot, Allonge, blooming and what ever else one can think off, to valuate we really need to know what other parameters is at play. Mentioning where people brew at says really nothing without knowing all the other variables.

Jimjam168

#399: Post by Jimjam168 »

Currently working with a Lagom P64 with MP burrs and VST baskets with my Linea stock (no gigcleur, still at 9 bar). I've been getting good to great shots but they are a bit non-descript. Everything is really solid, but exceptional in key regards - Clarity, sweetness, body etc. are 7.5/10.

A while back I had a few shots with a Mahlkonig Peak/Linea and they blew me away with the sweetness and had flavor profiles as well. After reading through these replies, it seems like V2 of these SSP cast in my Lagom could take me a step closer to the results I'm seeking, closer to the shots I had on the Peak.

Sorry for not adding substance to this, just looking for a gut check before investing in these!
James

rurika

#400: Post by rurika »

zumicroom wrote:just to add another data point, i bought a refurb (v2) set back in april and also have to grind basically at touch with light roasts and even then i can't manage a shot longer than ~18 seconds. I know my alignment is good and have no issues whatsoever with my set of SSP multipurpose burrs.
Hmm. I have DF64v2 with lab sweet silver knight. Bought it pre-alignmented from espressooutlet last week. I can choke my machine if I dial DF64v2 less than 12 for light roasts. My dial is 13~14 for light roasts. 16~17 for medium roasts. Try dark roasts today and it still choke my machine at 23 (took about 2-3 minutes for 20g in 40g out)

The machine is Lelit Bianca v2 with stock portafilter (made by IMS).