SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 39

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
j_bravo14

#381: Post by j_bravo14 »

iyayy wrote:does lab sweet grinds extracts faster? do you need to change to shorter ratio?
My experience is they do extract fast on my lab sweet SSP. Specially after you hyper align the burrs you have to grind finer to get traditional espresso pull (1:2 ratio for 28sec). Using jkim mod on ode grinder Im grinding around 30-70 microns to get enough resistance for 28 sec

j_bravo14

#382: Post by j_bravo14 »

I think I have finally figured out how to use unimodal style burrs for espresso. With the CV SSP I had to grind finer around 30 microns and just lower my temperature to get a good taste on a light medium roasted Colombia beans!

Fraussie

#383: Post by Fraussie »

By now, I've grinded a few kgs through my cast burrs (DF64) and noticed that the grounds are now super fluffy. With an18g dose, on my 18-21g IMS basket, the portafilter systematically overflows. Another thing that's changed is that I can't grind fine enough to choke my machine anymore... I can grind at 1 from true zero without choking.

Still can't pull a shot with clean extraction... Tried everything but seems it's not happening...

iyayy

#384: Post by iyayy »

j_bravo14 wrote:My experience is they do extract fast on my lab sweet SSP. Specially after you hyper align the burrs you have to grind finer to get traditional espresso pull (1:2 ratio for 28sec). Using jkim mod on ode grinder Im grinding around 30-70 microns to get enough resistance for 28 sec
thanks. thats helpful knowing im adjusting towards right direction.
j_bravo14 wrote:My experience is they do extract fast on my lab sweet SSP. Specially after you hyper align the burrs you have to grind finer to get traditional espresso pull (1:2 ratio for 28sec). Using jkim mod on ode grinder Im grinding around 30-70 microns to get enough resistance for 28 sec
im also lowering my temp, already at 88, still hits the bitter wall aftertaste but not as much as before.

also at playing between 1~2.5 notches before chirp, df64. no idea what micron but it is indeed very fine. never got shots above 20 though.

malling

#385: Post by malling »

Fraussie wrote:By now, I've grinded a few kgs through my cast burrs (DF64) and noticed that the grounds are now super fluffy. With an18g dose, on my 18-21g IMS basket, the portafilter systematically overflows. Another thing that's changed is that I can't grind fine enough to choke my machine anymore... I can grind at 1 from true zero without choking.

Still can't pull a shot with clean extraction... Tried everything but seems it's not happening...
Interesting, although I cannot chocke mine either with VST basket and that I'm basically at near burr touch it's with filter roast and with a manual lever where I need to go very fine, with 9 bar I can grind coarser and I can go even more so with IMS styled basket.

I do think the shots extract fast around 1:2 and 1:2.5 I rarely need to go beyond that even with the light filter roast, that is kinda weird but the shots look fine well as fine as a filter roast can look (it's never going to be eye candy)

basiecally

#386: Post by basiecally »

Having gotten mostly through this thread, I take there was a design change somewhere around March this year where the later version had a larger flat land portion of the grinding surface that seems to have made them better for dialing in espresso? Does this correlate with the etching on the back of the burrs?

Does anyone know if the "refurbished" burrs on the espressotools website is the latest iteration of these burrs or if they can any which one?

Regards

iyayy

#387: Post by iyayy »

no idea, but here's refurbished ones.
difficult to dial 9 bar, im aligned, can easily notice particle size difference at 62 and 63 at brew, also able to grind at 0.5, but mostly stick to 1.5~4 for espresso. df64.

nisb

#388: Post by nisb »

basiecally wrote:Does anyone know if the "refurbished" burrs on the espressotools website is the latest iteration of these burrs or if they can any which one?
Regards
Refurbs are v2, you can tell by the 7 polishing areas between each of the pre-breaker edges (v1 had 6).

I'm also grinding very close to burr touch with v2 - around 1.5-2 on DF64 for light roast. And struggling to make 9 bar decaf.

Puzzled that this is the case given comments about 'massive adjustment range' on v2 earlier in the thread. For those that have both v1 and v2, are the v2 size still a massive improvement on the v1 for espresso or have they seasoned into behaving as the v1 did?

I have v1s in the drawer that I may acquire a grinder for if they work for espresso (loving the flavour profile).

coffeeOnTheBrain

#389: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Is there maybe v3 already ;)

malling

#390: Post by malling »

nisb wrote:Refurbs are v2, you can tell by the 7 polishing areas between each of the pre-breaker edges (v1 had 6).

I'm also grinding very close to burr touch with v2 - around 1.5-2 on DF64 for light roast. And struggling to make 9 bar decaf.

Puzzled that this is the case given comments about 'massive adjustment range' on v2 earlier in the thread. For those that have both v1 and v2, are the v2 size still a massive improvement on the v1 for espresso or have they seasoned into behaving as the v1 did?

I have v1s in the drawer that I may acquire a grinder for if they work for espresso (loving the flavour profile).
It's bigger on v2 then v1 that is granted, with V1 I could just barely brew espresso with flair basket with lighter espresso roast I can now brew with VST with very light filter roast, something I could not do with V1 burrs, heck forget VST that would never have worked with V1.