SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 36

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
adam_rush

#351: Post by adam_rush »

I'm finding it exactly the same! Slow to start then fast and messy but generally seeing the same weight and shot time as before.
The puck now also seems to stick to the shower screen after every shot...

My prep hasn't changed at all, but maybe that's the issue... what worked for super seasoned Mazzer burrs likely won't work for new Cast burrs.
I'm gonna start tweaking grind and weight (usually i do 18.5g in a 20g VST) and see how things go as they season!

That said, i'll mainly be using for filter in the long term so i guess i'm just curious for now 8)

LObin

#352: Post by LObin »

adam_rush wrote:I'm finding it exactly the same! Slow to start then fast and messy but generally seeing the same weight and shot time as before.
The puck now also seems to stick to the shower screen after every shot...

My prep hasn't changed at all, but maybe that's the issue... what worked for super seasoned Mazzer burrs likely won't work for new Cast burrs.
I'm gonna start tweaking grind and weight (usually i do 18.5g in a 20g VST) and see how things go as they season!

That said, i'll mainly be using for filter in the long term so i guess i'm just curious for now 8)
Fraussie wrote:Getting a bit annoyed with my LS cast burrs... Hope it's just a matter of waiting until they're fully seasoned. Impossible to get a typical espresso flow. Have to grind super fine to get enough pressure into the puck and even then after a little while the shot ends up squirting and flowing uncontrollably...

My puck prep is not in question since everything was fine with the Italmil burrs.

Both of you have the V2's?
LMWDP #592

malling

#353: Post by malling »

Fraussie wrote:Getting a bit annoyed with my LS cast burrs... Hope it's just a matter of waiting until they're fully seasoned. Impossible to get a typical espresso flow. Have to grind super fine to get enough pressure into the puck and even then after a little while the shot ends up squirting and flowing uncontrollably...

My puck prep is not in question since everything was fine with the Italmil burrs.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Unimodal and cast burrs. You need to grind fine, that's just generally how it is with this type of burrs and a finer grind is harder to distribute. If you use a normal pump machine lower the pressure so it's no higher then 6-7 bars, it helps.

You should not expect it to be as beautiful eye candy as traditional espresso burrs because that just ain't gonna happen unless you use a very forgiving coffee, these burrs also yes show even the smallest distribution error toss VST or Pullman into the mix and your asking for it.

Also did it taste good, if it did forget how it look and just ignore it.

Jake_G
Team HB

#354: Post by Jake_G »

This genuinely made me laugh.

I don't mean to be harsh, but italmill burrs are easy mode. Everyone thinks their puck prep is perfect until some sort of harder espresso method (any machine showing actual puck pressure, unimodal burrs, etc...) proves otherwise.

If your shots are falling apart, either your puck prep needs work or your brew pressure or water debit needs work. I've recently found that large unimodal flats plus 6 bar at the pump bypass equals easy mode for me. I can get equally amazing shots by playing with my water debit and pressure ramp, but I am struggling to identify what I am missing by just setting my bypass valve to 6 bar and letting her rip...

Point being that different burrs need different strategies to get good shots. Italmill burrs are basically the same as a Niche. Grind, tamp, pull. As you move towards burrs that can do a decent job presenting the character of a coffee as filter and espresso, you need to spend the extra effort to ensure your puck prep is spot on and you need to invest in how you are pulling your shots. You either need something that can give you something that looks like line pressure preinfusion followed by a traditional 9 bar shot or you need a lower peak pressure when the burrs give you a puck that extracts more quickly and breaks down faster than the Italmill burrs you are used toprifil8ng is great, but dropping the pressure a bit is a solid alternative if you lack the other tools.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704
★ Helpful

drH

#355: Post by drH replying to Jake_G »

Interesting. Is this also the case with the 80mm Ditting lab sweet burrs? Many reviews mentioned how forgiving they are- was that just relative to other challenging unimodal flats?

ethiopianbuffman

#356: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

They are forgiving in the sense that they have a large sweet spot where you will get good tasting shots. Puck prep is still important though.

MNate

#357: Post by MNate »

j_bravo14 wrote:Thank you this helps clarify and separate the profiles of these burrs.
Comment of the thread, for sure!

Fraussie

#358: Post by Fraussie »

Jake_G wrote:This genuinely made me laugh.

I don't mean to be harsh, but italmill burrs are easy mode. Everyone thinks their puck prep is perfect until some sort of harder espresso method (any machine showing actual puck pressure, unimodal burrs, etc...) proves otherwise.

If your shots are falling apart, either your puck prep needs work or your brew pressure or water debit needs work. I've recently found that large unimodal flats plus 6 bar at the pump bypass equals easy mode for me. I can get equally amazing shots by playing with my water debit and pressure ramp, but I am struggling to identify what I am missing by just setting my bypass valve to 6 bar and letting her rip...

Point being that different burrs need different strategies to get good shots. Italmill burrs are basically the same as a Niche. Grind, tamp, pull. As you move towards burrs that can do a decent job presenting the character of a coffee as filter and espresso, you need to spend the extra effort to ensure your puck prep is spot on and you need to invest in how you are pulling your shots. You either need something that can give you something that looks like line pressure preinfusion followed by a traditional 9 bar shot or you need a lower peak pressure when the burrs give you a puck that extracts more quickly and breaks down faster than the Italmill burrs you are used toprifil8ng is great, but dropping the pressure a bit is a solid alternative if you lack the other tools.

Cheers!

- Jake
Thank you - I'll try dropping the pressure a bit to see how it goes. As for puck prep I'm not really sure how I can improve. I grind directly into the portafilter and use a wdt tool to distribute. I'm always very careful to tamp straight etc. If you have any tips or any videos you think I should watch, I'm def interested.

Primacog

#359: Post by Primacog »

Given the user experience of many here who have tried and use the SSP Lan Sweet cast 64mm burrs, I would like to ask how do they stack up in respect of Espresso against the original Ditting Lab Sweet cast 80mm burrs that they were copied from?

Of course I expect the original 80mm cast burrs to produce "better" tasting espresso given the larger burr size and the fsct tbatbthey r the origjnals but I am interested to know what is the margin of difference? Givnlen that the ditting 807 costs more than 6 times the cost of a df64 with the ssp lab sweet burrs, even if the original ditting burr set makes 5 per cent better tasting espresso, i may as well get the ssp burrs since they r so much cheaper. What do you think?
LMWDP #729

malling

#360: Post by malling replying to Primacog »

The Ditting has more perceived sweetness, more body but also less clarity.