SSP Lab Sweet 64mm - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#11: Post by LObin »

malling wrote:Generally only Eureka burrs fit Eureka grinders as their seizes are a bit odd, so you need burrs that are specifically designed for Europe like SSP has done for the Mythos. I certainly would not buy it with the expectation that these will fit.

Wug2-83a will have a specific carrier from April-June that can take it, but I'm still far convinced about it and it's trying to be all, it just doesn't strike me as a truly finish product but more a home project.
First reviews will give a better idea about the full potential of this grinder. They've had mixed success with their previous designs. The HG1/2 motor mod has been quite popular since they commercialized it but then, they made a 71mm and a 83mm conical grinder that never seemed like it went past the pre-production step.

Still, if the carrier also fits the flat burr only 83F model, which it should, the 83A and 83F could be the only and best option for someone looking for the lab sweet profile in a home purposed grinder.
LMWDP #592

STG

#12: Post by STG »

malling wrote:Yes ssp could not replicate the ek43 pre 2015, so I would also not put my hope on them being able to do with lab sweet in a smaller version.
This. It's why I have not pre-ordered them yet. I am skeptical.

I have yet to find a brew grinder <$600 that beats my aligned Vario with brew burrs. I hope these 64mm LS cast or the Ode v2 burrs do.

malling

#13: Post by malling replying to STG »

Most things above the vario steel will be rather incremental, I owned an EK (or in fact two as the first one broke and got replaced) and a vario steel at the same time. There is no denying the EK was better with all the burrs I had in it, but the gain between it and the vario steel was much smaller then between the vario and cheaper grinders. But I tried the lab Sweet and likede it more then the EK profile and got tired of the seize of the EK so sold it, I hoped for a 80mm but it never came to fruition so I stocked with handgrinders and Ode since it came out, honestly I can tell it's not been a massive step down from my ode with SSP and the super aligned EK.

The only burrs I truly found better has been lab sweet/804 and the EK43 pre 2015, everything else is close and as much about personal preferences.

STG

#14: Post by STG »

malling wrote:so I stocked with handgrinders and Ode since it came out, honestly I can tell it's not been a massive step down from my ode with SSP and the super aligned EK.
Are you saying your hand grinder is almost as good as Ode SSP and EK? Which hand grinder? I've been considering getting one for travel.

malling

#15: Post by malling replying to STG »

I might have written that a bit too fast, I meant that the Ode with the SSP wasn't a huge step down from the EK. But neither is the Comandante, I also think some 1zpresso grinders isn't that far from the Comandante either, both are certainly fantastic value for money when you look at performance and investment ratio.

Yes EK is better, but it is like many other large burr grinder not good value in terms of performance in the cup, you pay allot extra for the relatively small improvements, the biggest improvement is in built, rigidity and consistency. I bought mine before the price went insane and costed about the same as a Lagom p64 cost today, it's almost doubled in price since then.

So yes I don't believe handgrinders such as Comandante is that far from the Ode with SSP.

Hoffmann also described it as paying for diminishing returns, I honestly agree with him. You pay allot extra to get those last drops out.

heytchap

#16: Post by heytchap »

Hansung from SSP has said the LS clones don't do light espresso well but might be okay for medium/dark.

I have a set on the way. I can let y'all now how they workout once they're here.

I'll also probably be selling them after the OO ones go live. Aaaaaaand before anyone asks - they are only available for lagom owners.

=======

I asked hansung directly and he didn't directly agree with what people have been saying he has said.

I suspect they will work just fine for espresso, even if they're not "designed" for espresso.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#17: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

heytchap wrote:Hansung from SSP has said the LS clones don't do light espresso well but might be okay for medium/dark.

I have a set on the way. I can let y'all now how they workout once they're here.

I'll also probably be selling them after the OO ones go live. Aaaaaaand before anyone asks - they are only available for lagom owners.
Am I reading this right? Hansung said his new 64mm Lab Sweet lookalike burrs are not good for light espresso, but for medium or dark roast espresso and all that while they are advertised for filter?
That sounds pretty unique to me. I haven't come across a burr set that is good for filter and dark roast espresso.

Edit: Or is Hansung basically saying the LS style 64 burrs can't grind super fine so that it is sufficient for light roasted espresso?

malling

#18: Post by malling replying to coffeeOnTheBrain »

It's filter burrs I think that is what he is saying, those like other filter burrs it cannot grind fine enough for high density beans like lighter roast for espresso, you can probably only make coffee shots with them, this was also the case with the old Mahlkonig and Ditting burrs, actually that is a good sign if your into filter coffee that is.

But like on these you could use a more dark roast and a make a pull, but not that was recommended but it could be done.

This also means it ain't no lab sweet burr, what it is like now that is the question.

heytchap

#19: Post by heytchap »

People were saying it can't be done but I asked Hansung and he said:

> yes it can make grinding result for espresso but basically it is desinged for brewing coffee.

> espresso is simiar as one from ditting Lab sweet.

> but bigger flat burr makes always better grinding result than smaller one.

LObin

#20: Post by LObin »

After reading the last few posts here, I asked Hansung about his thoughts on the new 64mm cast burrs.

He basically confirmed what's been said here.

They'll work for espresso but mostly for medium and dark roasts. They might not be able to grind fine enough for light roasts at espresso settings.

He also said that there are limitations when grinding espresso with the original 80mm lab sweets.

Sadly, I had to cancel my order. If the first reviews say differently, I may reconsider but for now, I'll take Hansung words for granted :wink:
LMWDP #592