SSP HU 64mm vs Mazzer Jolly

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Tjyven

#1: Post by Tjyven »

Anyone tried both the SSP HU 64mm and Mazzer Jolly burrs and can tell how they compare? Rather alike or different profiles?

palica

#2: Post by palica »

Mazzer changed the SJ burrs recently and replaced the 033 by the 233. So maybe it is important to specify which ones you want to compare to the SSP. The new 233 are, according to Mazzer, « more efficient » but they did not share more information.

Tjyven (original poster)

#3: Post by Tjyven (original poster) »

Aha, didnt know that, then both are of interest, also heard people using copies made by Nuova Ricambi being satisfied. Comparisons of all these would be of interest.

babola

#4: Post by babola »

palica wrote:Mazzer changed the SJ burrs recently and replaced the 033 by the 233. So maybe it is important to specify which ones you want to compare to the SSP. The new 233 are, according to Mazzer, « more efficient » but they did not share more information.
True, 233M replaced older 33M on pretty much all Super Jolly models going forward, including the electronic model. I have the new SJ V Pro and as a pervious SJ E owner can attest grinding time being shorter some 20-25% depending on type of beans used.

LObin

#5: Post by LObin »

Tjyven wrote:Aha, didnt know that, then both are of interest, also heard people using copies made by Nuova Ricambi being satisfied. Comparisons of all these would be of interest.
I have the HU in my DF64 at the moment and previously had the stock Italmill as well as the Food Friendly (Nuova Ricambi).

I can't compare directly with the Mazzer's but they should be pretty close in profile to the Italmill or maybe even more closer to the Food Friendly.
For me, the HU's are simply smoother and present more balance between bitterness and sourness, with clearer layers and flavors. That's for medium and light roasts.

For medium-dark roasts (I don't usually buy anything beyond that), the Food Friendly and Italmill are better imo. Shots are sweeter and blend better in milk drinks. The HU are good but not quite as good as the other 2 or even the Niche 63mm conicals.

That being said, I did appreciate the sweetness of the Italmill's and even more so the Food Friendly with medium and light roasts. There is a perceived sweetness that is quite nice although the notes are muddier vs the HU.

I'd link to think I would tell them apart in a blind test but it would probably be a difficult task, even more so if done with different roasts.

My favorite burr sets would be 1. HU. 2. Food Friendly (best bang for the $) and 3. Italmill
LMWDP #592

Tjyven (original poster)

#6: Post by Tjyven (original poster) »

Thanks! Even if the grind speed is different can you taste any differece in the shot?

Tjyven (original poster)

#7: Post by Tjyven (original poster) »

Thanks! This is very interesting, I usually prefer medium and medium dark so out of these I guess Food Friendly or HU would be best.

LObin

#8: Post by LObin » replying to Tjyven »

In this case, it's definitely worth giving the Food Friendly a shot. I remember they were even perceived by some users as an upgrade vs the Mazzer's.

At below 25% of the cost of the HU, they truly punch above their weight.
LMWDP #592

babola

#9: Post by babola »

Tjyven wrote:Thanks! Even if the grind speed is different can you taste any differece in the shot?
FWIW - There is even a diff between the SJ Electronic and V Pro in taste profile, between Mini and SJ V Pro a massive one.
It was like I completely changed the blend, while I certainly did not.