SSP burrs in Mazzer Mini E -- stalling

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ecuew

#1: Post by ecuew »

Hi,

I haven't seen anyone bring this up so thought I'd mention it, as an FYI. I have the redspeed SSP burrs in my Mazzer Mini E and experience stalling from time to time - once every 1-2 weeks. I use the hopper, usually a bit over half full and have the anti-static screen removed. I clear the chute every few days (I've had it stall on an empty chute and full chute). Light roast coffee.

I guess it's not super surprising, as the burrs grind 2.5x faster than the stock burrs.

I read through the "Duranium" SJ burr thread and the behaviour here is similar. Anyways, for the time being the burrs are staying in as the grind is better although it's super annoying to have to deal with!!

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

Does it fail to start or stop during grinding ?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

ecuew (original poster)

#3: Post by ecuew (original poster) replying to redbone »

Good question! It fails to start.

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by blondica73 »

I've had the same issue since replacing the stock burrs with coated SPP burrs on my Mazzer Mini E. Once in awhile, after I push the grind button I hear a whirring sound and it does not grind any coffee. I push the button again and it works fine.

ecuew (original poster)

#5: Post by ecuew (original poster) replying to blondica73 »

Interesting. Mine hums and will not run until I loosen the grind. I think we may have different issues.

Tolis85

#6: Post by Tolis85 »

This was the reason I got the Kinu in the first place. My lelit would occasionaly stop when I was grinding light roasts. Now I was thinking of going back to electric with the Mazzer mini with SSP. Guess I'll have to consider something else

redbone

#7: Post by redbone »

The issue maybe the motor constraint with the higher demand placed on it due to the SSP burrs.

It appears that although the motor is listed at 250w it's actual rating plate is 128W. See below bottom of page one of pdf file.
http://coffeetime.wdfiles.com/local--fi ... ni%20E.pdf

Confused about grinder motor watts
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Prairiedawg

#8: Post by Prairiedawg »

Funny, my Super Jolly from about 2000-01 is 550w. Actually closer to 600w in operation. I verified this with a Fluke ammeter when I first got the grinder. Mine runs at 5.0a at 120v. I installed SSP burrs and it cuts through effortlessly. It seems to me that the aggressive burrs are a bit much for the motor. You may want to check the capacitor(s) but they're likely fine. If it stalls turn it off right away, don't burn up the motor. If it keeps stalling you might want to stick to darker roasts.

Edit: just read the confusion about grinders thread. Makes sense but the motor isn't even 65% efficent, wow. It has to be higher than that I would think.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Demq

#9: Post by Demq »

How old is your grinder?

Mine also stalls occasionally, and was doing so before SSP conversion. When I first got it, it would not even be able to grind at espresso setting at all. I changed the cap and now it works OK. I am guessing probably the motor gets degraded power with age/use.

ecuew (original poster)

#10: Post by ecuew (original poster) »

redbone wrote:It appears that although the motor is listed at 250w it's actual rating plate is 128W. See below bottom of page one of pdf file.
Huh. That's some good info, thanks for finding it.
Prairiedawg wrote:I installed SSP burrs (in my SJ) and it cuts through effortlessly.
You read my mind, I was curious if anyone with an SJ has had any problems.
Demq wrote:How old is your grinder?
Made in 2014. I bought second hand last fall from someone who bought it new a year earlier and had put less than 100 shots on it...so pretty much new.