SSP burr installation for EK43S inside/outside burr ?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Oenophilia

#1: Post by Oenophilia »

Hello,

Just purchase a new SSP burr for my EK43S.

It's kind of confusion that there are two burrs, one is labeled as inside and the other is outside burr.

Did anyone know which one should be attached with the pre-breaker ?

BTW there is one ssp mark, did that mark need to be aligned in any position or direction ?

THANKS

Jake_G
Team HB

#2: Post by Jake_G »

Hi Jeff, Welcome to HB!

Inside is the fixed burr, and gets mounted in the grind chamber.

Outside is the rotating burr and gets mounted in the carrier.

Orientation does not matter beyond this.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

Oenophilia (original poster)

#3: Post by Oenophilia (original poster) replying to Jake_G »

This help a lot, thanks.

ConFlatExp

#4: Post by ConFlatExp »

What Jake mentioned is correct for an EK43
-- but when it comes to a P100 its the opposite kind off when fitting them but eventually its the "outside logo to rotating burr always". so for p100 the outside burrs will go into the chamber.

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

Has anyone ever exchanged them to see if it makes a difference?

Ira

rmongiovi

#6: Post by rmongiovi »

My understanding is that the difference is the amount of torque required to turn the burr. So I presume if you reverse them there's a greater chance of stalling the motor.

Jake_G
Team HB

#7: Post by Jake_G »

I haven't found that to be the case in horizontal/tilted installations, but it could certainly be true with vertical burrs. Particularly so the Nautilus where there is no auger and all the beans flow into the burrs by gravity.

However, I'm still not convinced there is a substantial difference.

No matter how you slice it, you've got 7 pre-breaker sections rotating against 8 in one orientation and your got 8 rotating against 7 in another. Seems like there are 56 primaru breaking/crushing events every rotation in both cases. With the vertical burrs, you've got gravity favoring the lower half of the fixed burr, so I suppose there would be some variation, but there is more than enough centrifugal force to ensure the tops of the fixed burr see plenty of action, as well.

I have ran them both ways in Ultra and Max and not really noticed a difference.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

Yes, but "understanding" is often based on rumors and innuendo. I personally don't understand how it could possibly make a difference. I sell something with 2 different colored wires. We often tell people which wire to connect to which pin even though it makes no difference.

Ira

rmongiovi

#9: Post by rmongiovi »

Well, then, I'm not entirely clear why you asked your question in this venue. You clearly require a response from the person who designed the burrs, decided to make them different, and labelled one "in side" and the other "out side." Why don't you fire off an email to SSP and see if you can get a definitive answer?

Jake_G
Team HB

#10: Post by Jake_G »

Have toy you ever asked a question of SSP and received an answer that didn't leave you more confused than before?
LMWDP #704