SSP 98mm Lab Sweet Coming 2023

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ducats

#1: Post by ducats »

This looks promising...

EvanOz85

#2: Post by EvanOz85 »

How funny, just yesterday I was randomly wondering if a 98mm version would be produced and how it might differ from the 64mm and 80mm ones. Thanks for the info!

Bue

#3: Post by Bue »

I would really like to know the comparison or at least peoples thoughts about lets say:
64mm LS in a df64
vs
80mm LS in a ditting 807
vs
98mm LS in a EK43/P100

ducats (original poster)

#4: Post by ducats (original poster) »

EvanOz85 wrote:How funny, just yesterday I was randomly wondering if a 98mm version would be produced and how it might differ from the 64mm and 80mm ones. Thanks for the info!
Yeah, it seems like a missing product for sure. I won't pretend to know how burr design effects flavor profile, but I'm hoping it's stellar at filter and will do a great coarse grind and offer some sort of clarity and body combination of goodness that hasn't been reached yet.
Bue wrote:I would really like to know the comparison or at least peoples thoughts about lets say:
64mm LS in a df64
vs
80mm LS in a ditting 807
vs
98mm LS in a EK43/P100
Yes, this definitely needs to happen. I can already see the title for Hedrick's YouTube vid...most anticipated burr of 2023 :D

ethiopianbuffman

#5: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

Differences between 64mm and 80mm LS are minimal and would need someone with Hedick's pallet to figure it out and a machine that can pull different styles of shots to compare. I don't know what a 98mm of this would bring, perhaps more clarity, more sweetness. I think cost is also a big question. I could see these burrs being $600 and the difference is probably minimal between smaller versions.

Eiern

#6: Post by Eiern »

Classic SSP: they release a 98 LS burr that makes great filter and clear turbo shots, but soon after "improve" them with less outfall/more fines pushing them toward traditional espresso :wink:

ducats (original poster)

#7: Post by ducats (original poster) »

ethiopianbuffman wrote:Differences between 64mm and 80mm LS are minimal and would need someone with Hedick's pallet to figure it out and a machine that can pull different styles of shots to compare. I don't know what a 98mm of this would bring, perhaps more clarity, more sweetness. I think cost is also a big question. I could see these burrs being $600 and the difference is probably minimal between smaller versions.
According to the Hedrick taste test (Figure A, see below), the 64 LS are excellent clones of the...Bentwood. And very good clones of the Gorilla Gear. And good clones of 80mm Lab Sweet Cast burrs. And lousy clones of 64 MP.

Here's an extrapolation: since the 64 LS already improved clarity over the 80 LS, burr size must not be the only factor. Of course 98mm can still have higher than 80 LS clarity, actually I'd put that as very likely because of SSP's leanings. Ultimate flavor style will likely have a lot to do with his influence/interpretation, and it will likely not be worth an upgrade if you already have 64 or 80, so of course a bunch of us are going to do it :)

Via espressotool:
64 LS = $235
64 HU = $220
64 BP = $220
98 Cast = $500
98 HU = $550

98 LS might come in under $600 but casts tend to like a bit of seasoning. 98mm field needs something more LS-like. At the moment, Shuriken's the best candidate, but it has that acquiring issue.

Figure A

As an aside, concerning burrs and particle distribution...fewer fines is what leads to more clarity? Does a more unimodal distribution help that as well? But then how's complexity enter the equation?

uncola

#8: Post by uncola »

lol R.I.P. all those guys who ordered WUG2's solely so they could have the 80mm lab sweet in it

iyayy

#9: Post by iyayy »

try tasting the brew right after, then after cooled down, and maybe put it in a fridge for half hr.
easier to notice nice acidity at high temp, and sour/bitterness at lower temp
brew into a hot cup first, and a cold cup 2nd to have more similar temp for comparison.
i find some burrs have better blend of balance at slightly cooled temp, while some are more awesome hot.

some shot techniques/pi length also affects how acid taste, either sour/muted/citrusy.

you can also dilute the espresso shot futher with 1:1 water if you find it too muddled. it will give more headroom to taste flavor separation.

my experience with just changing pi time from 13s to 16s shows no prominent difference immediately after shot, very similar cups, however significant difference in profile after cooled to room temp, one became almost undrinkable sour.

or just add bit of milk. see whether it turns into sour mess or blends the taste.

if you dont feel like wasting cups, just stir and set aside a small amount, which will cool faster.

malling

#10: Post by malling »

ethiopianbuffman wrote:Differences between 64mm and 80mm LS are minimal and would need someone with Hedick's pallet to figure it out and a machine that can pull different styles of shots to compare. I don't know what a 98mm of this would bring, perhaps more clarity, more sweetness. I think cost is also a big question. I could see these burrs being $600 and the difference is probably minimal between smaller versions.
I don't think it's really that hard, if you focus your attention to clarity you can very easily detect these differences, as Hedrick says the Cast64 has more clarity then the LS80 while the LS80 tend to have more heavy mouthfeel and syrupy sweetness to it, also I agree the LS64 is more floral, juicy and LS80 more chocolate, syrupy.

With MP it's obviously right in your face as the differences is rather noticeable both in clarity and mouthfeel.

He is however very good at putting descriptions on what he finds and this is training, training and more training.

With espresso dilute it, makes any difference much easier to detect, or do turbos.

All that this info is really lovely to hear, as this give the burrs that aren't just brew/turbo or espresso but actually can give a good performance of all and not being overly focus on traditional shots nor being overly focus on clarity.