SSP 98mm Lab Sweet Coming 2023 - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
malling

#21: Post by malling »

ducats wrote:Oh, so he's making his version of 80mm lab sweet, and doing it in 80mm? :|
That's okay as his version will probably have a bit more clarity and flavour separation and I think many will find that attractive

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by buckersss »

EvanOz85 wrote:Well that's a bummer.
Was that factor in your decision to get the P100?

franklin270h

#23: Post by franklin270h »

TBH I don't know that the Lab Sweet Geometry would work all that well in 98mm anyway unless he heavily modified the geometry to be less aggressive, which SSP is not prone to do and usually does the exact opposite with espresso in mind.

A 98mm burr has a longer grind path and higher linear speed at the edges so is going to be more aggressive (more fines, heat, uniformity at the expense of clarity/acidity) than an 80mm burr, if geometry is the same. 80mm LS already pivots to body over clarity/acidity but pushing it to 98mm would move even further in that direction and pretty much just be another SSP espresso burr option on the pile, though it would probably be more forgiving and less finicky than the machined burrs. 64 mm clarity over 80mm is for a similar reason- shorter grind path, less linear speed at the edges makes 64mm burr effectively less aggressive than the 80mm variant from a similar burr design. Also more difficult to make espresso with for the same reason.

98mm burrs benefit more from gentler tapering finishing sections like OG MK Cast and SSP brewing burrs, taking advantage of the longer grind path by gently shaping particles down to final size instead of brute forcing it like smaller burrs do. Styles make fights.

ducats (original poster)

#24: Post by ducats (original poster) »

franklin270h wrote:TBH I don't know that the Lab Sweet Geometry would work all that well in 98mm anyway unless he heavily modified the geometry to be less aggressive, which SSP is not prone to do and usually does the exact opposite with espresso in mind.
Yes, but feels like a missed opportunity to provide something different for 98mm burr field even if it would require SSP to change/improve his ways. I had hope but I'm also glad I didn't count on 98mm LS being a thing and got 98 brew burrs.
franklin270h wrote:A 98mm burr has a longer grind path and higher linear speed at the edges so is going to be more aggressive (more fines, heat, uniformity at the expense of clarity/acidity) than an 80mm burr, if geometry is the same.
What do you mean by "linear" speed? I get how a burr's outer edge moves at more speed due to greater distance traveled but at same rotations per minute compared to inner edge, but what kind of modifier does "linear" imply? The speed on the burr increases at a constant rate the further out on the radius you go? Or does it describe the relationship between different burr sizes?

A number of 98mm grinders with variable rpm so burr designer doesn't have to solve a problem (aggressiveness) that grinder designer did. Anyway, I hope the reviews are up soon.

malling

#25: Post by malling »

franklin270h wrote:TBH I don't know that the Lab Sweet Geometry would work all that well in 98mm anyway unless he heavily modified the geometry to be less aggressive, which SSP is not prone to do and usually does the exact opposite with espresso in mind.
As you say he can modify it to be less aggressive, for what I seen the 64mm is also changed in that area when compared to the 80mm Lab Sweet. There certainly noticeable differences.

Also I don't think these are that much meant to be espresso burrs, it was certainly not how the original cast where launched as, these where more brew burrs however today these are omni but it's not your normal SSP espresso burrs.
A 98mm burr has a longer grind path and higher linear speed at the edges so is going to be more aggressive (more fines, heat, uniformity at the expense of clarity/acidity) than an 80mm burr, if geometry is the same. 80mm LS already pivots to body over clarity/acidity but pushing it to 98mm would move even further in that direction and pretty much just be another SSP espresso burr option on the pile, though it would probably be more forgiving and less finicky than the machined burrs. 64 mm clarity over 80mm is for a similar reason- shorter grind path, less linear speed at the edges makes 64mm burr effectively less aggressive than the 80mm variant from a similar burr design. Also more difficult to make espresso with for the same reason.
I don't think it's likely the geometry will be a 1:1 first off that isn't really the case with the 64mm, he certainly did more then just shrink it down he modified it quite noticeable compared to the original, for example more pre breakers but less of the cast teeth/groves it's 3vs 4 pr. pre breaker and 7 vs 8 teeth pr. prebreaker and the final cutting teeth is also noticeable different.

But yes you would be right it would be even more body/sweetness if he just enhanced it, it just don't think that would be very likely thing to happen.
98mm burrs benefit more from gentler tapering finishing sections like OG MK Cast and SSP brewing burrs, taking advantage of the longer grind path by gently shaping particles down to final size instead of brute forcing it like smaller burrs do. Styles make fights.

EvanOz85

#26: Post by EvanOz85 »

buckersss wrote:Was that factor in your decision to get the P100?
The main factor was the SSP Brewing burrs, but I absolutely planned on getting a set of the LS burrs to switch back and forth from time to time. Changing the burrs on a P100 is a much easier process than on my Max. Oh well.

zefkir

#27: Post by zefkir replying to EvanOz85 »

Option-O will likely release a set of 98 mm next year. Maybe they'll be LS style like their 64 mm Mizen, maybe not, we'll see.

heytchap

#28: Post by heytchap replying to zefkir »

Insider info?

zefkir

#29: Post by zefkir replying to heytchap »

No inside scoop, but it does make sense for them to do it. SSP has been one of their major bottleneck.

EvanOz85

#30: Post by EvanOz85 replying to zefkir »

Def should have clarified that you're just guessing in your original post instead of saying they are "likely" to do it. That's how false rumors get started :p