80mm burrs experience (SSP, Ditting, EG1, Ultra, Uber...) - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jtbel1988

#51: Post by Jtbel1988 »

Thank you!

@cedo - which grinder is easier to align? The Forte look me forever to get the alignment just right.

Cedo

#52: Post by Cedo »

Didn't try to align either, I am happy enough with how they performed. If I was to guess the 2 screws for the 804 might be harder to align.

asamimasa

#53: Post by asamimasa »

Chert wrote:I bought these burrs here off cebseb a few years back. I think they are SSP LU, but I really don't know. Any educated guesses would be appreciated. On his listing in 2018 he referred to them as "Silver Knight."
Funnily, I got my HU's from the same person not too long ago. Despite SSP claiming they are the same as the Weber Ultras with a different coating (silver vs. red), The outfalls are evidently different. In loose testing I haven't noticed a huge difference but I plan to give a more focused side-by-side.

Chert

#54: Post by Chert replying to asamimasa »

I have the images from the [SOLD] post and when I get time I will pull the EG-1 apart to photograph the set I have to compare to your images. They look similar. My Silver Knight doesn't have a label for certainty but if they are a visual match I don't think I will spring for the WW version. I wouldn't likely taste a difference. They are well seasoned now and I find I prefer them to the burrs the EG-1 came with, mostly making espresso, which if HU they would be intended more for brew.
LMWDP #198

asamimasa

#55: Post by asamimasa »

I've got what SSP calls 80mm EG-1 Lab Sweet, which are new blind variant purchased at https://www.espressotool.com/786402328/?idx=3. The box says they're silver coated. Unlike the Ultras that come in a blue SSP box with a WW label, this came in a black box with no EG-1/WW mention. Interestingly, the back of the burr is marked the same as the Ultras, DB-2.

My copy has a machining defect both on the burr face and polishing quality. I'll place the possible effects on flavor into the broader bucket of how blind vs. non-blind may have an effect. I've ran 10lbs through it but do not have experience with an original Ditting 80LS to compare to, 64Cv1 is the closest I've used. I will abstain on making claims about flavor until I've used it for a longer period. Compared to the Core, Ultra, and HU, the LS crushing action is little punchier to the ear.

Acavia

#56: Post by Acavia »

asamimasa wrote:Funnily, I got my HU's from the same person not too long ago. Despite SSP claiming they are the same as the Weber Ultras with a different coating (silver vs. red), The outfalls are evidently different. In loose testing I haven't noticed a huge difference but I plan to give a more focused side-by-side.

Can you confirm if yours are LU or HU? I would send the pic to SSP to ask but based on my prior communications, I doubt my question would make sense to SSP. Can anyone confirm if the picture of the burr on the left in the post a few before this one is an 80mm LU or HU burr?

Silentsim

#57: Post by Silentsim »

asamimasa wrote:I've got what SSP calls 80mm EG-1 Lab Sweet, which are new blind variant purchased at https://www.espressotool.com/786402328/?idx=3. The box says they're silver coated. Unlike the Ultras that come in a blue SSP box with a WW label, this came in a black box with no EG-1/WW mention. Interestingly, the back of the burr is marked the same as the Ultras, DB-2.

My copy has a machining defect both on the burr face and polishing quality. I'll place the possible effects on flavor into the broader bucket of how blind vs. non-blind may have an effect. I've ran 10lbs through it but do not have experience with an original Ditting 80LS to compare to, 64Cv1 is the closest I've used. I will abstain on making claims about flavor until I've used it for a longer period. Compared to the Core, Ultra, and HU, the LS crushing action is little punchier to the ear.

Are these filter or espresso butrs? The sweets

malling

#58: Post by malling »

Those are casting flaws not maching on the burr surface, those are normal I seen such on Ditting/Mahlkonig as well as ssp

Acavia

#59: Post by Acavia »

asamimasa wrote:Funnily, I got my HU's from the same person not too long ago. Despite SSP claiming they are the same as the Weber Ultras with a different coating (silver vs. red), The outfalls are evidently different. In loose testing I haven't noticed a huge difference but I plan to give a more focused side-by-side.
How have you found the 80mm HU vs Weber ULF for filter? Do you think they are the same or are they different?

coffeeOnTheBrain

#60: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

The difference between Weber Ultra and SSP offerings was discussed in great detail on Kaffee Netz. I believe it started with this post: https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/mahl ... st-1985241

I believe the conclusion was they they are similar but since the SSPs went through many iterations only a few if any are the same as Webers.