80mm burrs experience (SSP, Ditting, EG1, Ultra, Uber...) - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Acavia

#41: Post by Acavia »

imp96 wrote:Probably yes. If you check 15:17 in the video I posted above, he shows chart of espresso extraction levels. HU/Ultra are the highest extracting burrs which relates to the amount of fines/grind evenness.
Fines would lead to more extraction all else equal, no? That is one of the reasons I am wondering.

imp96

#42: Post by imp96 »

Right, but that would also change the shot profile. You can see that the data is for a 25s 1:2 ratio espresso pulled at 9 bars. The more fines you have, the coarser you have to grind to get your shot on time. The coarser you grind, the less you are extracting from the majority of your coffee, so overall your extraction goes down.

This being said, I wouldn't take that chart too seriously as that test inmo is fundamentally flawed and is best used as general reference. Most people when they say less fine, they mean they want a more even grind to get more clarity and less over/under extracted notes. I think that chart is a good reference to show how even the grind distribution is compared to other burrs.

Advertisement
Acavia

#43: Post by Acavia replying to imp96 »

I only do pour-over, no espresso. I assumed that chart was for pour-over as the reviewer indicated the ULF were not as good for espresso and were filter centered.

Acavia

#44: Post by Acavia »

imp96 wrote:
This being said, I wouldn't take that chart too seriously as that test inmo is fundamentally flawed and is best used as general reference. Most people when they say less fine, they mean they want a more even grind to get more clarity and less over/under extracted notes. I think that chart is a good reference to show how even the grind distribution is compared to other burrs.
That reviewer favorably highlights his favorites in my opinion, so I think that reviewer would rank the ones he likes less objectively and higher than perhaps they really warrant. So I guess the burrs near the top are relatively close. That is my dilemma. I have 804 machined burrs, which he ranked close to the ULF ones, and I also have Sweet burrs. If the 804 machined are closer to the ULF than his chart shows because he bumped his favorite noticeably higher, than I doubt I would taste a difference between the 804 machined and the ULF equivalents and therefore buying the SSP 80mm HUs would be a waste.

jaegerc

#45: Post by jaegerc »

I am in the same position with the 80mm Ditting Machined burrs. I would be interested to see an in depth comparison to understand how the machined burrs perform against other high clarity 80mm burrs. Side note, what would you recommend as a companion grinder with the 80mm machined burrs for espresso? I have a DF64 with stock burrs that I use for milk beverages, but I would like to be able to pull light roast espressos from time to time. Would the SSP 64mm Cast burrs be the best option and give a good contrast against the 80mm machined burrs?

malling

#46: Post by malling replying to jaegerc »

Anything cast will do something else then machined. I like the 64mm cast for espresso, while you definitely can find better more intriguing burrs these are all with no exception all 80-120mm burrs. But for 64mm the cast is frankly the only burr I rate highly, as it's neither the muddy blending type nor the type of clarity focused that hide defects.

The new Timemore Sculpture 78s come with a burr that resembles Core burrs could also be an option. It should also do lighter roast well. I'm getting one and will be brutally honest when I receive it.

Chert

#47: Post by Chert »

I bought these burrs here off cebseb a few years back. I think they are SSP LU, but I really don't know. Any educated guesses would be appreciated. On his listing in 2018 he referred to them as "Silver Knight."

LMWDP #198

Advertisement
Jtbel1988

#48: Post by Jtbel1988 »

Anyone have experience moving from baratza forte BG (aligned) to ditting 804 with lab sweet?

I suppose I'd notice a clear difference between cups. Mostly using this for pour over.

I occasionally use the forte BG for espresso and have trouble dialing in light Ethiopian coffee. Will the 804 will solve this issue?

erik82

#49: Post by erik82 »

The 80mm burrs will blow away the 54mm burrs of the Baratza. I've worked wth the Baratza and it was ok but not great whereas the 80mm burrs perform superb and give great results. This will be a day and night situation.

Cedo

#50: Post by Cedo »

Have both forte bg and 804 cast. Haven't tried light roast espresso with bg, but 804 works fine with espresso. They have different taste profiles where 804 is not clarity focused. I wouldn't say it blows the bg away, the difference is much smaller than say bg and encore, diminishing returns.