80mm burrs experience (SSP, Ditting, EG1, Ultra, Uber...) - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
imp96

#31: Post by imp96 »

If anyone is interested, Lance Hendrick posted a review of EG1 and gives a description of almost all 80mm burrs. He talks about the Ultra/Core/Base/Lab Sweet/E80S/LU/HU/Machined Ditting 804. Starts at 8min http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_0q3dqQydU

EvanOz85

#32: Post by EvanOz85 »

Interesting that he claims the Ditting LS burrs *do* work for espresso with the EG-1 v3. There was a discussion here not long ago stating that the LS burrs can't grind fine enough for espresso due to something with the floating nature of the lower burr carrier.

Jonk

#33: Post by Jonk »

Perhaps those who couldn't use the burrs for espresso didn't adjust fine enough. There's a whole section in the video explaining how you might have to adjust way past the first audible chirps. Which understandably would make many users very uneasy, even if it doesn't actually damage anything.

erik82

#34: Post by erik82 »

You can indeed go much finer on the EG-1 then you would think when going by sound. This is due to play in the threads of the adjustment mechanism. When you hear some chirping and lift the front of the dial up then it disappears as you take some play out. When you're grinding it pushes everthing up and elimnates play completely and you can go more then a full number finer.

Acavia

#35: Post by Acavia »

imp96 wrote:If anyone is interested, Lance Hendrick posted a review of EG1 and gives a description of almost all 80mm burrs. He talks about the Ultra/Core/Base/Lab Sweet/E80S/LU/HU/Machined Ditting 804. Starts at 8min video
Which 80mm SSP model is he stating is the same as the EG-1 ULF? I think he states the HU 80mm is the EG-1 ULF burr but with 2 screw holes but since other sizes with that same name (HU, high uniformity) are espresso oriented burrs that produce fines, I want to make sure in case I order them.

Also, do the EG-1 ULF have a coating? Silver knight or no coating at all?

imp96

#36: Post by imp96 »

You are correct, 80mm HU = EG1 Ultra but without screw holes. I believe there is no coating. I think somewhere in the video he mentions that its because there is less friction this way although I am skeptical that this has any real affect.

Acavia

#37: Post by Acavia replying to imp96 »

Discussing it with SSP, SSP recommended Silver-Knight for filter grinding.

Although I am not sure what to make of this question and answer:

Me: On grind quality, does this burr produce very few fines- is it one of your lowest fine burrs?

SSP: fines are always there because grinding happens in dry condition.

malling

#38: Post by malling replying to Acavia »

You should probably have asked more directly like; Is this the 80mm burr that produces the fewest fines"

Talking from experience

Acavia

#39: Post by Acavia replying to malling »

I see. That would have been more direct in a translation probably.

For people here: the 80mm HU, which per SSP is same as the EG-1 ULF, would be the lowest fine producing 80mm burrs? and one of lowest of other sizes too?

imp96

#40: Post by imp96 »

Probably yes. If you check 15:17 in the video I posted above, he shows chart of espresso extraction levels. HU/Ultra are the highest extracting burrs which relates to the amount of fines/grind evenness.