80mm burrs experience (SSP, Ditting, EG1, Ultra, Uber...) - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Acavia

#21: Post by Acavia »

jb-0101 wrote:
There's no "Brew" burr for 80mm afaik
So for clarity/brew burr SSP 64mm in an Ode or something is best way? Would an Ode with SSP be a good contrast for pour-over to a Ditting Sweet?

imp96

#22: Post by imp96 »

Looks like there is only a 98mm ssp brew burr.

jb-0101 (original poster)

#23: Post by jb-0101 (original poster) »

Acavia wrote:So for clarity/brew burr SSP 64mm in an Ode or something is best way? Would an Ode with SSP be a good contrast for pour-over to a Ditting Sweet?
My only experience is with original cast and LS cast Ditting burrs, and SSP 80mm LU. So I can't say whether an Ode with SSP MPs would be give more clarity in comparison to SSPs 80mm burrs. Is there anyone else here who has tried both as I'd be very keen to know as well!!

I have my doubts that mine are LU, they could be HU. The supplier said they're HU, Hansung says they're LU. Who the hell knows what the truth is??!!

What I can say is that swapping burrs is a PITA, so if you can get ode w/ SSP MP then you can easily swap between grinders to find what works better for a given coffee / brew method, and that is definitely a nice-to-have.

imp96

#24: Post by imp96 »

I am blind tasting 64mm SSP MP burrs and 80mm Weber Core burrs as I am reading your post. I have been blind tasting SSP Ultras before this for a while. For reference I am using Hario Switch to do my brews.

From posts above the core burrs should produce even more fines than any of the 80mm SSP burrs.

I was able to differentiate the two brews but got them wrong. I haven't had much experience with brewing with core burrs though. The brews were very similar, the core burrs were just a little more linear compared to the MP burrs. The mouthfeel and clarity are nearly identical. The MP burrs had a little more of a pronounced acidity whereas the core burrs the acidity was more muted, so the taste is more linear. Today's coffee for my test was Klatch Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Worka Anaerobic Natural Gr1.

Edit: As I am finishing the two cups, the MP burrs have that small, but pronounced, hit of fruit acidity that you taste at the back of your tongue. The Core burrs have no such taste, the acidity is much more balanced.

Acavia

#25: Post by Acavia »

jb-0101 wrote:
What I can say is that swapping burrs is a PITA, so if you can get ode w/ SSP MP then you can easily swap between grinders to find what works better for a given coffee / brew method, and that is definitely a nice-to-have.
What is the difficulty in changing burrs? is it hard to get them centered?

Acavia

#26: Post by Acavia »

imp96 wrote:
Edit: As I am finishing the two cups, the MP burrs have that small, but pronounced, hit of fruit acidity that you taste at the back of your tongue. The Core burrs have no such taste, the acidity is much more balanced.
Thanks. I like sharper acidity so it sounds as though I would like that. An Ode with SSP would not be much more than different burrs, and then I have backup grinder plus ease to change from day to day.

jb-0101 (original poster)

#27: Post by jb-0101 (original poster) »

Acavia wrote:What is the difficulty in changing burrs? is it hard to get them centered?
Yeah it's difficult to re-align. I'm not convinced that different burrs are always perfectly flat and even across, particularly if they've been in a less than perfectly aligned chambers. I found each set of burrs needed a slight tweak in alignment, so you need to vacuum and clean thoroughly, then align the new burrs. This is definitely not something I'd want to be doing any more frequently than once every few months at the most!

If you want to alter regularly between different burrs it's definitely better to have different grinders. Good excuse to add arrows to the quiver ;-)

imp96

#28: Post by imp96 »

You might also be interested in reading the blog post about the various 64mm burrs in the blogs section.

Edal

#29: Post by Edal »

Acavia, you might be interested in the 80mm Boyt burrs for the Ditting. Based on this: Ditting Lab Sweet vs Boyt Enterprise Burr Experience they seem to cater to clarity and flavour over sweetness and body.

Acavia

#30: Post by Acavia »

Anyone have the SSP 80mm burrs that fit a Ditting 804, who would want to trial-trade for Ditting Cast 80mm burrs or Ditting machined 804 burrs? Just an exercise to see how they taste and then trade back after some weeks or so?