80mm burrs experience (SSP, Ditting, EG1, Ultra, Uber...) - Page 20

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeeOnTheBrain
Posts: 634
Joined: 5 years ago

#191: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Eiern wrote:No, the post 15 Mahlkönig B coffe burrs I have owned two sets of (one in a regular EK I had and one in my current 43S) and I sold off the set that came with my EK43S in the end as I really didn't like it much. I have tried Silver Knight coated SSP Pre 15 Cast at home, well seasoned by owner, in my EK and in my P100 for both filter and espresso. There's a video on my channel of a turbo shot I pulled with it.

I have read mixed reports on the SSP Pre 15 Cast for sure and I bet you will get people loving and not enjoying most burrs. We enjoy different things and use different beans and equipment/water+++. I personally seem to love clarity so my favorite burrs are usually machined as a lot of the cast are a little more complex/blended and can be soft with a little more texture. I think 98 Mizen is the closest I'll go in that direction, they're machined but a little bit in that cast direction. I haven't tried Mahlkönig Pre 15 A coffee burrs at home, I could enjoy them or not.

I also don't really love the Lab Sweet I'm borrowing for filter, or the 64mm Cast V2 or Mizen OM moonshine I've tried for that matter. I think all mentioned burrs are fine enough, probably preferred presentation to a lot of people and they're not bad by any means but they are usually a little underwhelming and boring to me.

I know one of the 98 Mizen owners didn't like his Pre 15 Cast and the Mizen was a major step up for that user.
That all makes sense to me and aligns with my preferences as well. My misunderstanding(edited) was that you meant the pre 15 SSP while I meant the pre15 A MK burrs. I own a set of MK pre15 A and love it for filter. That said with my current preference for super light roasts I enjoy the 98mm brew from Titvs with the more clarity focused approach. At the same time I prefer the A burrs presentation over any other burrs, while they are not as clean as some they present basically any coffee in a positive way. Where the MK (edit: Lab Sweet) burrs make a coffee more chocolatey (not always for the best) the pre 15 A make coffee more jammy and pronounce the fruity characteristics in a very fruity but not sour and rich way. And they surly don't highlight the bad and ugly as the 98mm brews do.

Eiern
Posts: 628
Joined: 9 years ago

#192: Post by Eiern »

I hope Mahlkönig produce some more if the A burrs, only feels right to have those in my EK. 98 Brew (early from Titus) is my favorite filter burr so far but it's not a great allrounder for every bean for sure. Higher highs but lower lows! I also can get very similar results to Brew with my Tungsten Carbide High Uniformity burrs in my P100, have done some blind tastings.

My bench doens't have room for anything more at the moment :mrgreen:

User avatar
EvanOz85
Posts: 718
Joined: 12 years ago

#193: Post by EvanOz85 »

coffeeOnTheBrain wrote:My misunderstood was that you meant the pre 15 SSP while I meant the pre15 A MK burrs.
Yeah, sorry. Was talking about SSP's version.

jfjj
Supporter ♡
Posts: 228
Joined: 4 years ago

#194: Post by jfjj »

Eiern wrote:I hope Mahlkönig produce some more if the A burrs, only feels right to have those in my EK. 98 Brew (early from Titus) is my favorite filter burr so far but it's not a great allrounder for every bean for sure. Higher highs but lower lows! I also can get very similar results to Brew with my Tungsten Carbide High Uniformity burrs in my P100, have done some blind tastings.

My bench doens't have room for anything more at the moment :mrgreen: image
you use the 804 for espresso or just to have access to 80mm burrs? ha
- Jean

Eiern
Posts: 628
Joined: 9 years ago

#195: Post by Eiern »

Just to try 80mm burrs really. P100 is much more ideal for espresso workflow.

sboplataz
Supporter ♡
Posts: 61
Joined: 1 year ago

#196: Post by sboplataz »

Just starting my burr exploration, but I thought I'd briefly share a bit of what I've experienced. I just got the SSP lab sweet 80 mm blind burrs with the red speed coating a few days ago. On an EG-1 at 800 rpm, they seem to grind really quickly, 20 gm doses for espresso with various beans (mostly medium to medium light) just dumped in take about 3-5 seconds total to grind. I haven't had any popcorning issues yet. Unseasoned, shots compared to the core burrs have seemed thicker, moderately sweeter, maybe slightly more intense, and with a little less clarity. My palate is unrefined and as of yet inexperienced, so ymmv. At the very least, they seem to be a fun burr set to try :)

Edit: they also seem to be less forgiving than the core burrs, with a smaller sweet spot range for me.

Mikk
Posts: 55
Joined: 3 years ago

#197: Post by Mikk »

Having recently had the chance to visually compare 80mm Ditting 804 cast burrs to Ditting Lab Sweet burrs, I was a little surprised to find they looked as different as they did.
I've seen an instagram post by SSP saying that the old cast and lab sweet are the same geometry, but this doesn't appear correct.
Looking at online pics of SSP 80mm LS burrs seem to show that they are most similar to the old 804 cast burrs than to genuine Ditting LS burrs.

The 804 cast burrs in the pics have just been sent to SSP for sharpening/redspeed coating, so i was looking into the 804 cast/LS burr geometry to make sure the expense of the SSP service was going to be worthwhile.

Looking forward to comparing the sharpened/coated cast 804 burrs vs genuine Ditting LS burrs in a month or so once the cast burrs are returned from SSP.





coffeeOnTheBrain
Posts: 634
Joined: 5 years ago

#198: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

I just had an epiphany. Everyone and his grandmother including me are complaining about Han changing his SSP burrs without notice or documentation, while he just stays true not only to the geometries but also to the behavior of his idol Mahlkönig ;)

malling
Posts: 2936
Joined: 13 years ago

#199: Post by malling »

Mikk wrote:Having recently had the chance to visually compare 80mm Ditting 804 cast burrs to Ditting Lab Sweet burrs, I was a little surprised to find they looked as different as they did.
I've seen an instagram post by SSP saying that the old cast and lab sweet are the same geometry, but this doesn't appear correct.
Looking at online pics of SSP 80mm LS burrs seem to show that they are most similar to the old 804 cast burrs than to genuine Ditting LS burrs.

The 804 cast burrs in the pics have just been sent to SSP for sharpening/redspeed coating, so i was looking into the 804 cast/LS burr geometry to make sure the expense of the SSP service was going to be worthwhile.

Looking forward to comparing the sharpened/coated cast 804 burrs vs genuine Ditting LS burrs in a month or so once the cast burrs are returned from SSP.

image
image
image
image
I'm puzzled by your picture there been two 804 burrs the original had a flat back and a inner blackish cast material and one side had 4 for cast teeth in 10 prebreaker sections the other had 5 cast teeth in 9 sections.

The later version had a machine raised outer rim/edge like all modern burrs and a different cast material as is evident on the greyish colour

There been some changes on the cutting teeth themselves but otherwise the core design is very much the same with dissimilar burrs, an idea Hansung has passed on to LS 64 V3

What I don't understand is why you have two identical burrs? that I never seen before

malling
Posts: 2936
Joined: 13 years ago

#200: Post by malling »

coffeeOnTheBrain wrote:I just had an epiphany. Everyone and his grandmother including me are complaining about Han changing his SSP burrs without notice or documentation, while he just stays true not only to the geometries but also to the behavior of his idol Mahlkönig ;)
Largely because Mahlkonig/Ditting at large were the only one making more unimodal burr designs and not bimodal design when SSP entered. Also their designs are so old that there no potential patent issues to take into account. Most other burr manufacturers at the time really didn't have anything like it to any noticeable degree. Option-o new burr are also all derived from those manufacturers burrs.

Compak PK and R120-140, Ceado hero and now mazzer philos burrs has evidently also look at their burrs... they probably won't admit it but it quite obvious they were inspired by them.

Again no one reinvents the wheel if they don't have too