80mm burrs experience (SSP, Ditting, EG1, Ultra, Uber...) - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
NelisB

#11: Post by NelisB »

I am at 500rpm most of the time. This particular filter roast I grind 120 micron. Most medium roast I am at 200ish. My standard dose is 18gr

grindtime 15 sec

jb-0101 (original poster)

#12: Post by jb-0101 (original poster) »

Gotta love Hansung and his burr naming...

Just got an email from him saying... "actually we have High, Low, Ultra in 80 mm the same as 98 mm. we normally recommend Low version for ditting because people normally use 804 for filter coffee.
it is hard to find difference with picture. High burr set has longer cutting edges than Low version and different angle on its last grinding stage."

I then sent him the below photo of my burrs and he told me they are "multipurpose" :roll: So I asked for clarification and he said Multipurpose is Low (Uniformity). I then checked previous emails as I was sure he'd said something different, and yes I found an email from him like 4 months ago saying he recommends High Uniformity is multipurpose. So multipurpose could be HU or LU... not sure. But he seemed pretty adamant mine are LU.

I then asked what version the EG1 Ultra is, and he said its the High Uniformity. Now even though the naming is not consistent with what Weber calls them, its at least consistent as Hansung also said EG1 Ultra is HU a few months ago, as did a rep from Weber. So we can be sure HU=EG1 Ultra.

Anyway, so Hansung says the HU "has longer cutting edges and different angle on final cutting stage". He doesnt say LU has more outfall, but it does on the 98mm so maybe it does on 80mm as well?

So does anyone have a close-up, high resolution photo of their 80mm SSP burrs, ideally HU (ie EG1 Ultra or a set SSP confirmed to be HU)? I know the SSP Ultra (not EG1 Ultra) is totally different, I've loaded that below as well.

My burrs, apparently LU:

Outfall of my burrs:

80mm Ultra Low (not to be confused with EG1 Ultra - that is HU)

erik82

#13: Post by erik82 »

What you're describing in the initial post is what the LS burrs are famous for and what happens during seasoning. It's exactly the taste profile they're aiming at. I've got the SSP HU burrs (same as the Ultra from LWW) and oh boy do they give way more clarity and flavour seperation. If that's what you're looking for then those are the burrs you want. And yes they still needed around 25kg of seasoning to fully season. Results where good after 10kg but improved up to 25kg where everything settled in.

There may be a picture from my burrs in the original EG-1 thread but I couldn't find it within a couple of minutes.

imp96

#14: Post by imp96 »

What are the 80mm Ultra Low burrs? Are these even fewer fines then the Weber Ultra burrs?

zefkir

#15: Post by zefkir »

jb-0101 wrote:Gotta love Hansung and his burr naming...

Just got an email from him saying... "actually we have High, Low, Ultra in 80 mm the same as 98 mm. we normally recommend Low version for ditting because people normally use 804 for filter coffee.
it is hard to find difference with picture. High burr set has longer cutting edges than Low version and different angle on its last grinding stage."

I then sent him the below photo of my burrs and he told me they are "multipurpose" :roll: So I asked for clarification and he said Multipurpose is Low (Uniformity). I then checked previous emails as I was sure he'd said something different, and yes I found an email from him like 4 months ago saying he recommends High Uniformity is multipurpose. So multipurpose could be HU or LU... not sure. But he seemed pretty adamant mine are LU.

I then asked what version the EG1 Ultra is, and he said its the High Uniformity. Now even though the naming is not consistent with what Weber calls them, its at least consistent as Hansung also said EG1 Ultra is HU a few months ago, as did a rep from Weber. So we can be sure HU=EG1 Ultra.

Anyway, so Hansung says the HU "has longer cutting edges and different angle on final cutting stage". He doesnt say LU has more outfall, but it does on the 98mm so maybe it does on 80mm as well?

So does anyone have a close-up, high resolution photo of their 80mm SSP burrs, ideally HU (ie EG1 Ultra or a set SSP confirmed to be HU)? I know the SSP Ultra (not EG1 Ultra) is totally different, I've loaded that below as well.

My burrs, apparently LU:

Outfall of my burrs:

80mm Ultra Low (not to be confused with EG1 Ultra - that is HU)

When did you get that Ultra Low?

I recall the very first EG-1 had burrs that had scalloped outfalls lie that Ultra Low but Weber rapidly switched to the HU that's also a LU in the picture just above that.
imp96 wrote:What are the 80mm Ultra Low burrs? Are these even fewer fines then the Weber Ultra burrs?
If the grinds produced are similar to those on the 98 Ultra Low (also with scalloped outfalls), despite what SSP says, they aren't ultra low fine. If anything, they are the most "traditional" in terms of taste of the four SSP branded 98 mm burrs (ULF, HU, LU, Brew), fairly high texture and sweetness, not as zippy as the other ones.

Acavia

#16: Post by Acavia »

erik82 wrote: I've got the SSP HU burrs (same as the Ultra from LWW) and oh boy do they give way more clarity and flavour seperation. If that's what you're looking for then those are the burrs you want.
Note: this is for pour-over.

I have a KR804 with cast Sweet burrs. I would like to get burrs that give the most clarity. I have had several email exchanges with SSP but those emails perhaps left me more confused than when I started. What is the name of the 80mm SSP burrs I should order to get the most clarity on my Ditting 804? Also, would an Ode with the SSP burrs give equal or more clarity? If so, I would rather go that route and have to grinders to go and forth easily. Or would Ditting with whatever SSP gives most clarity give more clarity than Ode with SSP for pour-over coffee?

imp96

#17: Post by imp96 »

I am even more confused with the naming now. Can you tell me how they all compare in terms of fines produced?
Is it approximately:

HU = Weber Ultra > Brew > ULF > LU

Do you know if Weber Core burrs is one of these burrs with just a different name?
Also where would Lab Sweet burrs be in this ranking.

I currently swap between Ultra and Core burrs and was thinking of adding Lab Sweet burrs to the mix.

#18: Post by jb-0101 (original poster) »

Acavia wrote:Note: this is for pour-over.

I have a KR804 with cast Sweet burrs. I would like to get burrs that give the most clarity. I have had several email exchanges with SSP but those emails perhaps left me more confused than when I started. What is the name of the 80mm SSP burrs I should order to get the most clarity on my Ditting 804? Also, would an Ode with the SSP burrs give equal or more clarity? If so, I would rather go that route and have to grinders to go and forth easily. Or would Ditting with whatever SSP gives most clarity give more clarity than Ode with SSP for pour-over coffee?
I don't know sorry. I admit that is not a helpful reply. I only have experience with the lab sweet and the SSP that I have which are apparently LU. The LU are cleaner than the lab sweets, but I have no idea how they compare to ode w/ SSP or the other SSP or Ditting machined burrs. I wish I knew!!

#19: Post by jb-0101 (original poster) »

imp96 wrote:I am even more confused with the naming now. Can you tell me how they all compare in terms of fines produced?
Is it approximately:

HU = Weber Ultra > Brew > ULF > LU

Do you know if Weber Core burrs is one of these burrs with just a different name?
Also where would Lab Sweet burrs be in this ranking.

I currently swap between Ultra and Core burrs and was thinking of adding Lab Sweet burrs to the mix.
The Weber core is a different burr not made by ssp. Only webers ultra burr is made by ssp. It would be more fines than all the ssp 80mm burrs, ie more traditional.

I was told by Hansung it's more like HU > LU = ULF. The ULF apparently produces similar fines at brew, but maybe don't work so well for espresso? I'm not sure about that but I've heard people say the Ditting machines burr struggles to go fine enough for spro, and SSP ULF is similar in design.

There's no "Brew" burr for 80mm afaik

imp96

#20: Post by imp96 »

Thanks for the info. Seems like getting lab sweet might not make much sense for me since I already have the core burrs.