SSP 64mm burrs user experience

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#1: Post by LObin »

Hi everyone,

I thought it would be useful to start a new thread about the different 64mm burr options from SSP.

The information on this subject is a bit scattered at the moment so gathering thoughts and user experiences in the same topic will be helpful for many, including myself.

Here's what I gathered so far:

There are 3 different 64mm burr geometry currently offered by SSP:

1. Original or High Uniformity

2. Unimodal or Brew

3. Multipurpose or Unimodal espresso (Brew burrs modified per Option-O's request to create more fines)

*There's also a burr set for Anfim/ECM which are HU burrs but left handed.

There are 5 finish options:

- Non coated
- Red Speed coated (recommended for espresso)
- TIN coated
- Silver knight coated (recommended for brew)

*SSP claims a lifetime of 1000kg for non-coated and 5000kg for coated burrs.
*SSP burrs are made of tool steel.

There have been numerous discussions, TDS and EY% datas, comparaisons between the different burr sets, etc.

Here a few links I find relevant for this topic:

- Lagom P64 thread:
Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O)

- Lagom P64 FAQ where the different burr options are explained: https://www.option-o.com/faq-lagom-p64

- Jake_G's Super Jolly SSP upgrade thread:
Mazzer Super Jolly SSP Burr Upgrade: Thoughts and Results

- Fellow Ode thread:
Fellow Ode brew grinder review

- G-iota grinder thread:
G-IOTA espresso grinder

I will update/correct this post so it's easy to retrieve the information.

Subjects often discussed regarding the SSP 64mm burr options:
HU vs MP, Brew vs MP, taste comparaison, brewing methods, roasts, ratios, alignment, issues, compatibility, availability, etc.

* Full disclosure: I don't currently own any SSP burr set. Like many others, I'm in the market for (or considering I should say) new burrs and have gone through A LOT of reading...

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

STG

#2: Post by STG »

This whole "brew is now multi purpose" is a real fiasco. Does anyone actually have any photos of the old SSP brew burrs? I ordered these from Prima back in October for my Ode and back then they were marketed as ssp brew burrs, but I'm almost certain they are actually the multi purpose burrs.

Edit:
After deliberation, I'm realizing that the difference between multi-purpose and recent unimodal/brew burrs is extremely subtle, visually. It looks like I do have recent unimodal/brew and not multi-purpose. A side by side photo comparison appears later in this thread: post #5 by SteveRhinehart.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
bakafish

#3: Post by bakafish »

STG wrote:This whole "brew is now multi purpose" is a real fiasco. Does anyone actually have any photos of the old SSP brew burrs? I ordered these from Prima back in October for my Ode and back then they were marketed as ssp brew burrs, but I'm almost certain they are actually the multi purpose burrs.image

Edit:
I definitely have the multipurpose.

Here's a photo of the brew burrs:

The difference is subtle, but it's there. You can see the little reliefs located on the periphery of the brew burrs line up with the large cutting teeth where as on the multipurpose they do not. The brew burrs also appear to have far more cutting teeth than the multipurpose.

Edit 2:
Oh and don't forget about these: spotted on the SSP site as well under the 64mm category:
Which appears to be a combination of the two. Some variant of the brew burrs.
The difference of the brew burrs and the multi-purpose burrs is only at the outer edge. The multi-purpose burrs have small flats but the brew burrs do not have. The teeth number of this 2 burr sets are the same. The top burr is 45 teeth and the bottom burr is 40 (inner side). Your red speed coating burr looks like the bottom burr of the brew burrs. The other photos in your post may be the prototype or the very early version.

LObin (original poster)

#4: Post by LObin (original poster) »

Yes I was also wondering if that picture wasn't simply non-coated (or even silver knight) multipurpose burrs...

@STG, have you read bakafish's post in the Lagom topic about SSP brew vs SSP MP?

This one?
Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O)
LMWDP #592

SteveRhinehart

#5: Post by SteveRhinehart »

Here are the unimodal vs multipurpose red speeds:

Left is MP, right is Uni. Note the small flat surfaces cut into the outer edge on the left, best seen below center in the photo.

Left is Uni, right is MP. The Uni has a more defined sawtooth edge.

Top is MP, bottom is Uni. In profile, the MP shows a more distinct flat outer edge. I'm not entirely sure if this is properly flat or just a much shallower sawtooth edge.
★ Helpful

Jonk

#6: Post by Jonk »

Good pictures Steve! Quite difficult to find the ones dwarfed in the other mega threads.
LObin wrote:*SSP burrs are made of a tungsten material (alloy?)
No, it's regular tool steel in most of the sets. They do offer tungsten as well but that's $600+ for the 64mm version!

LObin (original poster)

#7: Post by LObin (original poster) »

Jonk wrote: No, it's regular tool steel in most of the sets. They do offer tungsten as well but that's $600+ for the 64mm version!
Good catch. Corrected the information in the original post. Thanks.
LMWDP #592

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
LObin (original poster)

#8: Post by LObin (original poster) »

SteveRhinehart wrote:Here are the unimodal vs multipurpose red speeds:
Left is MP, right is Uni. Note the small flat surfaces cut into the outer edge on the left, best seen below center in the photo.

Left is Uni, right is MP. The Uni has a more defined sawtooth edge.

Top is MP, bottom is Uni. In profile, the MP shows a more distinct flat outer edge. I'm not entirely sure if this is properly flat or just a much shallower sawtooth edge.
Very useful!
Thanks Steve!
LMWDP #592

LObin (original poster)

#9: Post by LObin (original poster) »

bakafish wrote:The difference of the brew burrs and the multi-purpose burrs is only at the outer edge. The multi-purpose burrs have small flats but the brew burrs do not have. The teeth number is the same. The top burr is 45 teeth and the bottom burr is 40 (inner side). Your red speed coating burr looks like the bottom burr of the brew burrs. The other photos in your post may be the prototype or the very early version.
I'm curious to know if you've tried more "classic espresso roasts" with the multipurpose.
I'm not talking about oily, french or Italian roasts but something closer to a medium, city or even full city roast.

The reasoning behind this is many people will pick a darker roast, often a blend, for their milk drinks while they prefer lighter roasted single origin coffees for straight espresso or allongé.

Basic recommendation in this scenario seems to be the SSP High Uniformity but with what users have reported as far has differences in the cup between the HU and the MP, it kinda feels like going for the best compromise instead of going for the best "tasting burr"...
LMWDP #592

bakafish

#10: Post by bakafish » replying to LObin »

No. I only drink light or light to medium roasts with or without milk. The HU burrs performance to me is more like a conical burr grnder. The coffee ground is not so "high uniformity" (I didn't try the marker test). The HU and MP burrs are not good or bad for light roasts. They are just different.