SSP 64mm burrs user experience - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Eiern

#31: Post by Eiern »

I did also not enjoy the Unimodals in the P64 for pourover. Very clean presentation, but also one dimensional and boring, thin, not too enjoyable.

They were OK for cupping, and maybe would be decent with something like a Moccamaster but not V60 which already make clear tasting brews. I liked that clarity for espresso though, they were my favorite set for 1:3 espresso with the P64.

I too don't think I'd want to «upgrade» an Ode with those burrs for brew after having used them, but I have not tasted brews from the original Ode yet either. I'd wait to be sure all stock around me had at least the slightly modified burrs that go that little bit finer or hold out for another burr set revision from Ode and let it stay original. Funny enough the smaller SSP brew burrs with similar geometry is not as clean and thin in my Wilfa Unform. Meybe they are less perfect performing and that adds some more complexity and body?

I agree about the cast burrs and hope we'll see either 64 or 80 mm cast burrs clones of the Ditting cast Lab Sweet or similar profile from SSP at a decent price.

My EK with stock cast burrs is still my favorite for filter (thinking of trying a SSP cast set for fun).

malling

#32: Post by malling »

My all time favourite burrs are the pre 2015 Mahlkonig (not to be mistaken with the revisited SSP version that isn't nearly as good) and the Ditting 804 cast, the best machined from memory is probably the 805 and 1203 from Ditting.

But such things will always be subjective.