Spray paint for the vintage grinder funnel

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rolleiman

#1: Post by rolleiman »

Hi all:
Does anyone know what spray paint is food safe that we can use it on the vintage grinder funnel? Or simply we don't need to worry about it??
thanks.
yuwen

GVDub
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by GVDub »

You'll want an enamel or epoxy paint (enamel is more historically correct). I'm not aware of any food-safe spray paints (at least not that comes in spray cans). Rustoleum makes food-safe enamels, as does Plati-kote, I believe.

addendum: Lots of folks have used spray Krylon and Rustoleum enamels to finish stuff that comes into brief food contact. I think that Doug Garrott uses a spray can enamel to refinish the funnel in the tutorial on rebuilding hand grinders that's up at Orphan Espresso's website. That being said, I have yet to find a spray paint that's got FDA approvall for food safety.

The Rustoleum food safe enamel only comes in white, but if you have any sort of airbrush or spraying equipment, it'll spray. Me? I'd get out the brushes.
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238

Eastsideloco

#3: Post by Eastsideloco »

I'm on the same page as GVDub. I'm using an "appliance" enamel/epoxy from RustOleum for grinder funnels:

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=101

While I have no illusions about the product being food safe, I don't plan on eating it either. I prep the surface for optimal adhesion, follow the application instructions and let the product cure for a long time.

As I recall, the RustOleum product has a particularly long cure time, something like 1 week. Also, pay close attention to the time the manufacturer calls for between coats. In some cases, you need to either recoat right away or to wait for a long time between coats. In other cases, you can recoat any time after 2 hours. For best results, I just do what the instructions tell me to do.

rolleiman (original poster)

#4: Post by rolleiman (original poster) »

I cannot find Rustoleum product in Taiwan, I will try to find something similar. Thanks all.