Solution to cracking Compak K10 mini hopper?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Bob_McBob

#1: Post by Bob_McBob »

I just noticed that the mini hopper I ordered with my two week old Compak K10 WBC has a large stress crack up the side. I read about this problem before buying the grinder, and made sure I didn't tighten the hopper screw. I've only removed the hopper once.

My grinder was manufactured over a year ago. Has Compak made any design changes or come up with a solution to prevent the cracking? Will they replace my cracked hopper?
Chris

ziemas

#2: Post by ziemas »

Have you contacted the vendor about the issue? They are the only ones who can really tell you if you'll get a replacement.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Several owners, including me, reported cracked hoppers in Mazzer Super Jolly vs. Compak K10 WBC:

Given that there are several reports of cracks after minimal usage, I'm not hopeful that another one would fair better, so I haven't bothered asking for a replacement. For what it's worth, mine's still in one piece, cracks and all. :roll:
Dan Kehn

Bob_McBob (original poster)

#4: Post by Bob_McBob (original poster) »

ziemas wrote:Have you contacted the vendor about the issue? They are the only ones who can really tell you if you'll get a replacement.
No doubt :roll:
HB wrote:Given that there are several reports of cracks after minimal usage, I'm not hopeful that another one would fair better, so I haven't bothered asking for a replacement.
I wondered about completely removing the screw and fitting some sort of material around the base of the hopper to hold it by friction and cushion it from the grinder operation. Obviously it can be damaged both while screwed tight, and sitting loose in the grinder throat. Perhaps it sits too low when it's not secured? It was loose enough to rotate without any force. I kept my Macap M4's hopper this way, but it was made of significantly higher quality plastic.

I will take a look inside this afternoon, after I have time to grind some of the coffee below the bean stop. It's a little crazy that this happened already. I've removed and inserted the hopper exactly once, ground 7 or 8 pounds of coffee, and only made about 5 grind adjustments.

Does this ever happen with the original hopper?
Chris

GC7

#5: Post by GC7 »

I've been using one with two stress cracks in it for probably 6 months now. Except for the visual aesthetics it's fine.

I do have a new replacement shipped by Compak and ordered by Chris Coffee but I'm afraid to use it :?

#6: Post by Bob_McBob (original poster) »

There's a fair bit of play in the burr carrier thread and adjustment collar even with the upgraded floating collar. When the grinder is switched on, this gets torqued slightly, along with the hopper. I'm pretty sure this is what caused the stress fracture in my mini hopper.
Chris

JmanEspresso

#7: Post by JmanEspresso »

Would a Mazzer Hopper fit in the compak.. Maybe one of the old style hoppers that are still on the super jolly/mini?

Reason I ask, is because I used to use the hopper on my major, and ive dropped it a good amount, and Ive never had a problem. As long as the mazzer hopper isnt too big, I bet a couple wrap-arounds with some tape would hold it in there. I used the large cone-style hopper found on the super jolly and older majors, but the Mini hopper and the new smaller mini hopper would work as well. But, obviously, if the mazzer hopper throat is too big, this wont work.

Or, that macap hopper. Chris sells the complete macap hopper on his site, and personally, Ive always liked the color of that hopper over the clear plastic found on most grinders.

Just a thought, as Ive only very briefly used a compak grinder for a few shots.

#8: Post by Bob_McBob (original poster) »

I actually have one of the short Mazzer hoppers, which I ordered because I was pretty certain I'd be getting a Major or Kony. Unfortunately, the throat size is quite a bit larger, so there's no way it will fit in the Compak. I don't know about the Macap hoppers (should have checked before selling my M4), but I expect the situation is the same.

I took the hopper off and inspected the crack. It's actually quite a bit more extensive than I first thought. It extends half way around the exit chute of the hopper, and 1-1/2" up the side. Doesn't look like it's about to fall apart, but I'd hate to have that happen while grinding. Maybe I will epoxy it and try the mod I mentioned above.
Chris

#9: Post by Bob_McBob (original poster) »

I thought my cracking hopper situation had mostly stabilized, because it didn't seem to be getting any worse up the side. Today I noticed that the plastic tube part at the bottom that sits in the grinder throat had completely broken off at some point. The hopper was basically balancing on top of the grinder on a tiny piece of plastic.

I guess there's probably no real solution to this other than drilling holes to stop cracks when they form, right? Should I expect the place I bought it from to provide a new hopper? This one only lasted seven months :(
Chris

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

Bob_McBob wrote:Should I expect the place I bought it from to provide a new hopper?
I haven't read the warranty, but it never hurts to ask. I just checked the hopper on my K10 WBC and the crack is longer. :roll: Please let us know what your vendor says.
Dan Kehn