So my Baratza Sette 270 just died... after 18 months! - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
happycat

#21: Post by happycat »

Pelbaya wrote:Thanks a lot for your post, and all I can say is: we are on the same page.

I did send the pictures to baratza but my hopes are not too high since I am passed the warranty limit. But still, we never know! I didn't get any response today so I guess their offices were closed for Remembrance Day, which would be pretty understandable.

Next chapter tomorrow I hope!
I would argue that the defect existed during the warranty period and became apparent with use.

Could be as simple as a cold solder joint. I fixed an electric siphon with a quick soldering job (and got a full refund)

The Sette is a higher risk/reward product and that's both an opportunity for some and a turn off for others.

Fixing my electric siphon led to modifying my Gaggia to add a wifi controlled preinfusion, building a 3d printer kit with my wife (which led to changing her career) and automating my roaster. I turned a problem into a learning experience with plenty of unexpected payoffs.
LMWDP #603

Pelbaya (original poster)

#22: Post by Pelbaya (original poster) »

Just to be fair with Baratza, I have to reiterate that their customer service is nothing short of exemplary.

They have just informed me that they will exchange the unit with a refurbished one.

All in all, I am quite happy with the conclusion.

eltakeiteasy

#23: Post by eltakeiteasy »

My first one was DOA. Second one lasted a month. I now have a MonFlat :)
LMWDP #672.

toolate

#24: Post by toolate »

i went with a kinu hoping it will last...

Bluenoser

#25: Post by Bluenoser »

I bought a Baratza Sette because of their reputation for customer service.

However, from all the problems people have had, it appears that they do not have a great QA process for inspecting grinders they get manufactured and for testing them for longevity. I can put up with the noise.. It is a great little grinder. But I'd expect it to be trouble free with the little use I give it, for at least 3 years.

slipchuck

#26: Post by slipchuck replying to Bluenoser »

They shouldn't even have left the factory in the first place as far as I am concerned

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Pelbaya (original poster)

#27: Post by Pelbaya (original poster) »

@bluenoser, just so you know, I agree with you.

And like you say, Baratza has very good reputation and they showed me that they still live up to it. They basically won't give up until they fix the issue. Kudos to them!

Bluenoser

#28: Post by Bluenoser »

eltakeiteasy wrote:My first one was DOA. Second one lasted a month. I now have a MonFlat :)
Grin.. yeah.. but a new 270 is $550 canada.. the mono flat... $3k and your first born to get in the queue..

Surely someone can make a really good.. (not a Lamborghini) single dosing grinder somewhere in the middle of that range that can last until the burrs wear out. The Ceado Hero looks great too.. but in Canada we'd pay almost $8k for it. I'd hate to do the math on the cost of that cup of home espresso. :)

bradenl123

#29: Post by bradenl123 »

Bluenoser,

Get an HG-1 and buy the DIY motor kit. If the kit ever fails you can change it back to manual while you wait for parts.

Braden

Bluenoser

#30: Post by Bluenoser »

bradenl123 wrote:Bluenoser,

Get an HG-1 and buy the DIY motor kit. If the kit ever fails you can change it back to manual while you wait for parts.
I looked at it recently.. looks nice.. 1 gram per revolution I think I saw.. I started on a Hario Skerton.. and really primitive espresso machine.. Now I'm just about retirement age.. about 6 months ago I had 2 friends over for espresso .. got winded after the 2nd espresso and made the last guy grind his own.. :)