Smitten with my Niche Zero...

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ZebcoKid

#1: Post by ZebcoKid »

Hello All,

I've been using a Baratza Encore.

My Niche Zero arrived yesterday. So quiet. So smartly designed. A pleasure to operate. I believe I'm smitten with her/him/them.

The combination of my Rocket Appartamento and the Niche Zero...quite an elegant pair.

Just makes me want to make more espresso.

Cheers!

ZK
ZK

jfjj

#2: Post by jfjj »

Enjoy! It's great to hear when people are happy with their purchases. I got a Atom 60 for a ridiculous deal and I have to say that I do not regret my Niche Zero purchase at all. It's fast and has fluffy grounds but I can't switch coffees easily, can't really single dose and on the 60 it really suffers from retention. Both are amazing grinders but you gotta look at their strength. Either way, I'm happy with my Niche and looking forward for a true flat burr single loser.
- Jean

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mborkow »

Congratulations and your NZ (and nice to see a forum member enjoying their grinder!)

MrFrench

#4: Post by MrFrench »

Same. I just got one last Wednesday and it's a treat. Grinds are so fluffy! Fantastic build and function. Aesthetically I was not entirely sold on its level of non-traditional look. However, it is one hell of a looker in person! Pairs up with my flair 58 like voltron.

dndrich

#5: Post by dndrich »

I'm in the "love my Niche" group too. I use it for espresso and auto drip coffee every day. Very easy to switch between the two. Truly a great design and workflow. For the drip I run at around "70" (no markings on the machine, but lined up with the cover hinge as a landmark) and between around 14-15 for espresso depending on the beans. Sometimes I purge a few beans through before the espresso shot or the first shot runs a bit faster from the exchange with the coarser grind left in the machine, but this is a small price to pay for a single machine used for dual purposes.

MCal2003

#6: Post by MCal2003 »

+40 years of pulling shots. Baratz something, Mazzer Mini, Macap M7, too many hand grinders. NZ work flow, quality of grind for espresso, minimal retention, low static cling, minimal footprint. Personally my favorite grinder for espresso. Not a follower of current trends of mega large flat burrs, light (City) roast espresso. Old school conical, FC to just into FC+ espresso roasts.

OT: Found a nice complimentary V60 pour over grinder for the NZ. 1Zpresso K-Pro. Effortless 1-2 seconds/gm to grind for v60, but limited to ~30gm dose. NZ is ok for V60. JMHO, K-Pro delivers a better cup.
LMWDP #151

larscoffee

#7: Post by larscoffee »

You all have me wanting to purchase a niche... from what I've heard and scene sounds spectacular (or doesn't sound because it's so quiet? ;)

thirdcrackfourthwave

#8: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

dndrich wrote:I'm in the "love my Niche" group too. I use it for espresso and auto drip coffee every day. Very easy to switch between the two. Truly a great design and workflow. For the drip I run at around "70" (no markings on the machine, but lined up with the cover hinge as a landmark) and between around 14-15 for espresso depending on the beans. Sometimes I purge a few beans through before the espresso shot or the first shot runs a bit faster from the exchange with the coarser grind left in the machine, but this is a small price to pay for a single machine used for dual purposes.
Try using bellows. Something always comes out when I 'puff' but I haven't measured it. Maybe I will if I remember.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#9: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

MCal2003 wrote:+40 years of pulling shots. Baratz something, Mazzer Mini, Macap M7, too many hand grinders. NZ work flow, quality of grind for espresso, minimal retention, low static cling, minimal footprint. Personally my favorite grinder for espresso. Not a follower of current trends of mega large flat burrs, light (City) roast espresso. Old school conical, FC to just into FC+ espresso roasts.

OT: Found a nice complimentary V60 pour over grinder for the NZ. 1Zpresso K-Pro. Effortless 1-2 seconds/gm to grind for v60, but limited to ~30gm dose. NZ is ok for V60. JMHO, K-Pro delivers a better cup.
I have a K-max mho too, it is a better v60 than Niche.

jfjj

#10: Post by jfjj »

Basically what I do but added a Ode with MP burrs to my arsenal and very happy.
- Jean