Single Dosing with Ceado E37S

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
leonelbego

Postby leonelbego » Aug 13, 2019, 4:13 pm

Hi Everyone,

I know there are quite a few topics regarding "single dose" grinders, but I would kindly like to ask for some help/advice from you. I bought 3 weeks ago the new Ceado E37S grinder which is fantastic, I can't complain.... my only issue is that I am experimenting quite a lot with different type of beans and I hate wasting soon much coffee when dialing in due to the purge, but because I change beans so often that is inevitable, but I hate it. Also, don't drink much coffee during the week, I do more during the weekend (during the week I drink coffee in the office and not in home). With this in mind I would like to start "single dosing" with my E37S, but the different opinions out there are quite overwhelming when it comes about Single dosing.

my questions:

- Could I truly "Single Dose" with my E37S? I usually use 18grams of coffee in my portafilter. Can I really put 18 grams inside the grinder and get at least a range between 0.2-0.4 difference? that would be a "good" solution for me.

- I know about the whole "popcorning" issue while single dosing, is ok to do the "tamper" trick replacing the hopper?

is there anything else I should be aware of to "improving" Single Dosing with my E37S? or any other recommendations?

Thanks a lot and attached a picture of my equipment :)

Leo

3cordcreations

Postby 3cordcreations » Aug 13, 2019, 9:10 pm

Hello,
Another option if the company will let you return and not have to exchange would be to buy the used Monolith conical on the buy/sell here. Unless your absolutely set on a flat burr. The conicals have very small amount of retention and I believe the HSM is about the same price, both probably aligned better than the Ceado and no displays or timers to go out.
Thought I would mention that if you want a high-end near zero retention grinder.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

leonelbego

Postby leonelbego » replying to 3cordcreations » Aug 13, 2019, 9:21 pm

Thank you!

Interesting, i didn't know conicals burrs retained less than flat!

Sorry, what do you mean with HSM?

iploya

Postby iploya » Aug 13, 2019, 10:47 pm

From what I hear the E37S is a fantastic grinder. But I agree with the above, it sounds like you did not buy the most ideal type of grinder for your current needs. If you cannot return it (satisfaction guarantee) you might take a small hit and resell it with proceeds toward a Niche Zero or the higher-end single dosers.

Q: Could I truly "Single Dose" with my E37S? I usually use 18grams of coffee in my portafilter. Can I really put 18 grams inside the grinder and get at least a range between 0.2-0.4 difference? that would be a "good" solution for me.
A: Not truly. There is quite a bit of retention on most hopper-style grinders, and it is NOT just in the chute. You might get roughly 18g back out but there would be a significant amount of "exchange" of old grinds with new. That is not so bad if you were making these daily (and not switching between different beans), but 5 days between weekends and the retained coffee will be stale (and if switching beans you are mixing different beans). If you switched beans you would have to run quite a bit of beans through to purge out the old stuff, and you mentioned you don't like waste.

Q: I know about the whole "popcorning" issue while single dosing, is ok to do the "tamper" trick replacing the hopper?
A: That trick works well on my E6P. But popcorning is the least of your concerns when trying to single dose with that.

Q: is there anything else I should be aware of to "improving" Single Dosing with my E37S? or any other recommendations?
A: Yes, you could relax your expectations about waste; buy beans more economically (see my 5 lbs of coffee thread) in order to factor in waste cost. Switch beans less often.
--AB

leonelbego

Postby leonelbego » Aug 14, 2019, 1:18 am

iploya wrote:From what I hear the E37S is a fantastic grinder. But I agree with the above, it sounds like you did not buy the most ideal type of grinder for your current needs. If you cannot return it (satisfaction guarantee) you might take a small hit and resell it with proceeds toward a Niche Zero or the higher-end single dosers.

Q: Could I truly "Single Dose" with my E37S? I usually use 18grams of coffee in my portafilter. Can I really put 18 grams inside the grinder and get at least a range between 0.2-0.4 difference? that would be a "good" solution for me.
A: Not truly. There is quite a bit of retention on most hopper-style grinders, and it is NOT just in the chute. You might get roughly 18g back out but there would be a significant amount of "exchange" of old grinds with new. That is not so bad if you were making these daily, but 5 days between weekends and the retained coffee will be stale. And if you switched beans you would have to run quite a bit of beans through to purge out the old stuff, and you mentioned you don't like waste.

Q: I know about the whole "popcorning" issue while single dosing, is ok to do the "tamper" trick replacing the hopper?
A: That trick works well on my E6P. But popcorning is the least of your concerns when trying to single dose with that.

Q: is there anything else I should be aware of to "improving" Single Dosing with my E37S? or any other recommendations?
A: Yes, you could relax your expectations about waste; buy beans more economically (see my 5 lbs of coffee thread) in order to factor in waste cost. Switch beans less often.

Wooow thanks a lot :)

I spoke yesterday to the store where I bought my E37S and they said if I want to I could exchange mine with the SD model (Single Dose E37SD, of course I would need to pay the difference but that would be ok with me).

Should I then rather take advantage and take the Single Dose route? Or you think is doesn't make difference?

I don't want to exchange my E37S to the E37SD if anyways I have the same issue of old coffee inside there after 5 days, you know what I mean? Or with the SD I would always have a newly fresh portion independently how often I do make coffees?

3cordcreations

Postby 3cordcreations » Aug 14, 2019, 7:44 am

leonelbego wrote:Thank you!

Interesting, i didn't know conicals burrs retained less than flat!

Sorry, what do you mean with HSM?

HSM is Helor Stance Motor [FS] Helor Stance Motor

Some of it is just the design, like the Sette 270.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

iploya

Postby iploya » Aug 14, 2019, 9:34 am

I looked up the E37SD on WholeLatteLove.com and it looks awesome too (I want one). It is also described as low retention. I don't know how low is low. The whole thing is set up around single-dosing though, if that is what you are looking for.

And full disclaimer, I do not have personal experience with either, so if anyone else has specific input on the "regular" E37S to counter my general advice on hopper-style grinders above please do chime in and correct me. I am not sure if the internals are the same (and hence whether regular E37S is relatively low retention).

P.S. - check out this E37S thread from a few years ago, it may have more info/confirmation.
Single dosing Ceado E37S
--AB

stevier

Postby stevier » Aug 15, 2019, 12:21 am

Works great for single dosing - I have a number of comments in that previous thread.

I use one of these to function as my bellows to blow grinds out, works great - and $12 is a lot better than the delta between the SD model. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013Q ... UTF8&psc=1

leonelbego

Postby leonelbego » replying to stevier » Aug 15, 2019, 12:30 am

This is great! And how do you avoid popcorning if you leave the hopper on while single dosing?

Thank you

stevier

Postby stevier » replying to leonelbego » Aug 15, 2019, 11:25 am

I thought it was going to be more of an issue than it actually has been. I did upgrade to SSP burrs as well - I think that made it even better, but I don't remember it being much of an issue before either. Generally, I have my "double" timer set to 12 seconds, and I grind into a small cup. Most of the grinding is done within the first few seconds, but having it on longer gives it a chance to get through all the little bits, and gives me a chance to tap the side of the hopper, and press down on the "bellows" a couple of times to ensure everything is ground and out in the cup.