Single Dosing a Nuova Simonelli Mythos

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
a.b1ns

#1: Post by a.b1ns »

Hey all, just wanted to share my experience with my mythos so far.

Last week I picked up a mythos plus for $600. I've been wanting a large flat burr grinder with single dosing potential for a while. I like my K30 but it will just never be a single dosing grinder, and my experiments with it as such have failed miserably. So I started looking at my options, and what was available within my budget. While a Monolith would be amazing, they're far too expensive for me. Other options include the EK43 (which I'd still like to try) but they have documented issues with alignment and even used here, are way too expensive without even looking at accessories that might be needed. So a second option seemed like a Mythos. They come up cheap here and are seemingly well loved by a lot of 3rd wave cafes.

When a Victoria Arduino popped up on a second hand site here, with "make me an offer" in the description, I had to offer $600. Shockingly, the seller accepted and I drove out to see it that afternoon. I removed the burrs are they were A: the TiN model and B: looked very new and in great shape. I obviously pulled the trigger.

The beast at home. I removed the tamper and lower metal coverplate.

I did some experiments when I got it, and while I'm still working on perfecting my technique and routine, here's what I do. Please note I am running it without the hopper, with the clump crusher removed and a lid over the grind chamber to prevent popcorning. The chamber fits about 18g of beans no problem, and the output is a lovely pile of evenly ground coffee with absolutely no clumping. I have the grinder set up with an 12s timer

1: Measure out 18G of beans on a scale into a small measuring bowl
2: Drop 4 drops of water from a bitters dropper I use.
3: Cover bowl with hand, vigorously shake bowl out, up and towards me 4 or 5x
4: Drop beans into chamber on grinder, cover
5: attach diy dosing funnel and do initial grind, takes about 5s
6: removed grind chamber cover, sweep remaining beans (the auger works well, about 6-10 unground beans remain
7: put portafilter up and grind again until timer runs out
8: quickly WDT stir, two light vertical taps
9: tamp, polish, flush and pull

While experimenting with the grinder right after I got it, I made a few discoveries. The clump crusher causes significant retention, around 2-3g, and must be removed for single dosing. Without the clump crusher and WDT, the static is crazy and grounds spray everywhere. With WDT there is virtually no spraying or sticking on the exit chute. Ambient humidity is around 40-50% in my house so you may need to adjust water amounts depending on where you are...

I also disassembled the grind chamber after using it for a few days(right after using the grinder) to measure the retained coffee. I was happy to find these results. Note that the majority of the retention is around the exit chute area

I will update this thread as my routine evolves, but I'm curious to hear what other mythos users are doing for single dosing solutions.

aidant87

#2: Post by aidant87 »

I have the Climacool model and have been single dosing too for the past year or so.

I RDT and removed the clump crusher as well but I have a rubber bellow sitting on top of the throat and a sauce bottle on top.

The sauce bottle moves quite a bit of air to blow the remaining beans sitting on the throat (issue with single dose on Mythos). So I can avoid the sweeping and continuously grind when I puff some air. 17g in 17g out most the time.

Once a week detailed clean will always have less than 0.3g of retained grounds. Only the first grind after cleaning there will be negligible retention.

Hopefully in the future someone will come up with a fancy mod to turn this into a true SD grinder. Looks like a DIY mess at the moment but working great.

boldstep

#3: Post by boldstep »

Congrats on picking this up so cheaply

dhdhk

#4: Post by dhdhk »

aidant87 wrote:I have the Climacool model and have been single dosing too for the past year or so.

I RDT and removed the clump crusher as well but I have a rubber bellow sitting on top of the throat and a sauce bottle on top.

The sauce bottle moves quite a bit of air to blow the remaining beans sitting on the throat (issue with single dose on Mythos). So I can avoid the sweeping and continuously grind when I puff some air. 17g in 17g out most the time.

Once a week detailed clean will always have less than 0.3g of retained grounds. Only the first grind after cleaning there will be negligible retention.

Hopefully in the future someone will come up with a fancy mod to turn this into a true SD grinder. Looks like a DIY mess at the moment but working great.
hi, i use a mythos one, single dose as well. I use one of those camera lens blowers right now for blowing out retention, but doesnt work great. Do you have a picture of the bellows/sauce bottle technique that you use? that would be amazing