Single Dosing the Mazzer Major: Burrs, Beans, or Technique?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Lateralus

#1: Post by Lateralus »

Good morning!

I recently purchased a Mazzer Major-E and everything was perfect for the first few weeks. I thought I had avoided all of the single dosing problems others report with large flats. I was wrong!

I'm having the hardest time getting the beans to grind when single dosing. They grind for about a second, then they just spin around in the throat. The only thing that works is to take off the collar and brush the burrs, but then it grinds perfectly. I've narrowed it down to a few possibilities, and want I hear which one is the most probable:

1: My burrs are old. They don't seem in too bad shape, but they don't seem to grab beans well, and there is always a ton of buildup on them even after just a few doses.

2: RDT has helped my retention (<.2g! Woohoo!) but I'm wondering if I'm using too much water. They get a good spirits from a spray bottle. Can too much water make them reluctant to catch on the burrs?

3: Could it be the beans? Maybe I'm grinding too fine (I have had some MONSTER pulls) and the fines are making the burrs less effective. I'm cleaning after every dose by brushing the throat clean and vacuuming. I'm going to start leaving in the layer around the bottom of the lower burr just to fill in the space. I've heard talk of a metal spacer that works, but isn't made anymore.

What are some solutions that you have found? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Jason

Devin H

#2: Post by Devin H »

Do you have something in the throat like a tamper or something to help push the beans down? Do the beans jump around indefinitelyou or are you saying it just takes a bit before the last few beans get grabbed and ground?

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Bill33525 »

Here is one thread that seemed to have a good ending: Mazzer Super Jolly not grinding fine

Collar springs were weak.

chappcc

#4: Post by chappcc »

Here is another thread you may want to review: Mazzer Major-E advice: Static screen or no?

dergitarrist

#5: Post by dergitarrist »

This isn't going to be popular but: Just don't. Single dosing is great with grinders that are made for it and can work with some that aren't but large Mazzers and Single Dosing just don't mix. You can actually see the particle distribution mess if you just look at the grinds.
LMWDP #324

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#6: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

Is there any bean hopper on your grinder? My experience is this: I am using a hopper from my Mini and when I grind I keep the throat chute closed to contain the beans. Seem to work fine for me and my shots are fine. What I have not done yet though is to physically compare the grinds between the Major and the Pharos. My burrs are newer, I just cleaned it recently, and I grind into a Super Jolly doser because it is smaller than the Major's and in better condition.
I couldn't be happier with the Major and Pharos. I use a dark roast blend btw.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

G.F.

#7: Post by G.F. »

I have no problems with single dosing, no worries then.
Jason did you remove the static screen? I believe it's better with.

aecletec

#8: Post by aecletec »

If there's enough water to cause them to stick to a surface it's probably too much. Clogging and buildup could mean moisture,fineness or degree of roast, too?
Many of us single dose large mazzers without issue - notwithstanding visibility of issues otherwise hidden. TGP shows hopper vs single dosing a small difference.

RyanJE

#9: Post by RyanJE replying to aecletec »

Which part of the TGP showed this difference and what was it?
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

aecletec

#10: Post by aecletec replying to RyanJE »