Single dosing Ceado E37S - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Peter_SVK

#121: Post by Peter_SVK »

That's not entirely true. If I saw an exploded view, I can estimate the retention from the design :wink: . Manual tells at least, how user friendly (or not) the grinder is.

Solenoid

#122: Post by Solenoid »

CarloM wrote:Thank you. With the 5 week (or more) delay in the availability of the Atom 75...heck they haven't even answered my two email inquiries after several days...I am back to entertaining the E37S. I do want to wait a week or so to see if the new worm gear model comes in stock at WLL, and at what price. If it doesn't, or if the price is $1750 or more, I'll pull the trigger on the $1450 non worm-gear version.
I made a decision to pass on the Atom 75 once WLL dropped the price on the e37s. Assuming the risk of importing the Atom 75 for the smaller footprint didn't seem worth the small savings. Plus, the Ceado has larger 83mm burrs and less retention than the Atoms, so that helps to offset the benefits of the BlowUp hopper (which wouldn't fit under my counters anyway). I expect the new e37s with the worm gear and 500W motor will come in at a higher price than the previous $1799 of the current model ($1899, 1999?). For me, those features don't add enough value to justify waiting. I'm very happy with my decision; the grinder is quiet, fast, and a huge step up from my Varios.

CarloM

#123: Post by CarloM replying to Solenoid »

You're making a lot of sense. I just have to get over my FOMO of the new worm gear version (like will they update or improve other things we don't yet know?) and just pull the trigger. Another day of waiting for a 20 second pull from my mazzer mini e is telling me it's time to fish or cut bait.

stevier

#124: Post by stevier replying to CarloM »

My used, years old E37s is producing god shots day in and day out, single dosed. I've hit the point where my grinder is not holding me back at all, and no desire to upgrade my grinder further :).

CarloM

#125: Post by CarloM replying to stevier »

Well, it was time to #$!@# or get off the pot...so I just placed my order. Should arrive in a week. Looking forward to dialing in my E37S soon! I should go to Ralphs or some other mass market chain and buy a bunch of crappy beans to break it in.

Brandon

#126: Post by Brandon »

I think you will be happy with it. I love mine. I got it a week or so ago. I just couldn't resist when WLL dropped the price. I thought about waiting for the worm gear version, but I am glad that I didn't. To be honest, I find this one pretty easy to dial in so far, and I am pretty sure that the new one will be super expensive. The sams near our house had crap coffee for 5 dollars a pound, so I bought four pounds to speed up the break in.

CarloM

#127: Post by CarloM replying to Brandon »

Coming from a Mazzer Mini-E type A, which takes 20s to dose 18g, and which is a pain to take apart and clean (mostly the cleaning part, in the threads, disassembly isn't difficult), I do agree that I will be more than happy with the purchase. The Mini retains quite a lot of grind in the space between the burr and the wall of the inside chamber. I removed the anti-static screen a long time ago though, as well as the top metal guard flap inside the dosing funnel, so at least I can use a brush to get the grind out of the chute. I'm going to look forward to something that retains much less than the 4-5g that the Mini did. And of course the reduction in time from 20 to 4 seconds is something I'm already looking forward to.

But it's just those amazing fluffy and consistent grinds I see in the videos that are up on YouTube (and in this thread) that have me most excited. The Mazzer was definitely a step up from the Baratza I used to have, but I could always tell a difference in the way the grinds came out versus those at my local third wave shops. The grinds from the E37S look to close that gap significantly (or perhaps even eliminate it?).

I just got my shipping notification, it should arrive on Friday...time to request the day off in order to accept the delivery!

CarloM

#128: Post by CarloM »

And thus begins the longest week while waiting for my E37S to arrive :mrgreen:

Major props to my local 3rd wave shop (who shall remain nameless in case it gets them in trouble with higher-ups). The baristas I've befriended over the past year they've been open hooked me up with 5 lbs of beans that had aged out and they were going to discard. Instead of going straight to the trash, they'll be put to good use on Friday night, seasoning the burrs on my E37S.

Friday cannot get here fast enough...seriously...

Brandon

#129: Post by Brandon »

Yeah, been there done that with the mini e type a. I never thought I would say that a grinder that costs this much was worth it, but I do. Amazingly fluffy grinds placed perfectly in the portafilter every time. No wdt or anything. Just tap the portafilter to settle grinds, tamp and pull the shot. No spritzers and great tasting shots.

CarloM

#130: Post by CarloM replying to Brandon »

Not...helping... :cry:

In all seriousness I am looking forward to all the things you and others have mentioned. And yes $1450 is a lot but when you consider the mini e type a is only a few hundred less...not unreasonable. But back when I bought my type a I think it was for $795 and that was like five years ago so it's paid itself off over that time.