Single Dose, Low Retention Grinder Project - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
MB (original poster)

#11: Post by MB (original poster) »

Okay, here's an update. I had a few setbacks mostly due to my rusty woodworking skills. Lots to do still.

It's just loosely assembled to see how it's going to go together.
LMWDP #472

one1speed

#12: Post by one1speed »

Pretty cool. Do any testing yet? Curious how this will work.

Thanks for the updates.

IMAWriter

#13: Post by IMAWriter »

Nice work, and happy to see you posting this here.

MB (original poster)

#14: Post by MB (original poster) »

No additional testing beyond the initial low speed grinding speed with the drill.
LMWDP #472

MB (original poster)

#15: Post by MB (original poster) »

Here's an update photo from today after finishing and assembly. I had problems with the veneer for the cover, but after seeing the plain aluminum flashing, I really like the way it looks. I still need to add the lower funnel. I do get some stalling at lower speeds, but it's still better in the mid range than with the smaller drill at full speed. Due to the grinding speed, the beans need a water spritz before grinding to keep the static at bay.

LMWDP #472

one1speed

#16: Post by one1speed »

Very cool! Nice simple concept, really like the way it came together. I agree that the aluminum looks nice as well.

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

MB wrote:Here's an update photo from today after finishing and assembly.
Nice, enjoyed following along as you created the first ever wall mounted Pharos that I have seen, it looks great! That is a fine looking lever machine on the bar as well. Have to see some video of the grinder in action, and you need to name this, how about the "Pharo-matic"? :D
LMWDP #371

MB (original poster)

#18: Post by MB (original poster) »

Ha! "Pharomatic". Nice one. If you crank up the speed too much it could be called the Pharocity. :lol: Once I get the bottom cone finalized, I'll see about a video. Previously I had ground off some of the flat surfaces of the VVD bearing bracket below, but I'm thinking about also making some steeper angles to reduce any grounds holding surfaces.

Here's a detail shot of a coverup I did for an accidental dent I made in the back wood. Fortunately, the dent was in a perfect location.

LMWDP #472

CoffeeBar

#19: Post by CoffeeBar »

Hi MB, NICE JOB. Could you able to upload some video for this grinder in action? Thank you :D

MB (original poster)

#20: Post by MB (original poster) »

Ok, here's a little video of the grinder in action. [Edit: Lost my original video, so added the following one.]
LMWDP #472